Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - September 2023

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snow, hot & thundery!
28 minutes ago, SouthwestChaser said:

New here. Showers crossing the channel and new ones forming over it. Still hope yet for those elevated post-midnight storms perhaps? No lighting in these as of yet but convective activity is accelerating.

Could contain:

Welcome aboard fellow storm-starved SWChaser. Keeping everything crossed for the next 48 hours... although I'm away this weekend, 45 miles north on the border of Cornwall/Devon in Bude. If I miss anything noteworthy then I'll be returning home on Sunday with the biggest sulk anyone has ever witnessed... 😉😖😤

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Hmmm, anyone having a late-night chill in the Balearics right now might just be pondering... 'do I look north, or south?'... 

Could contain:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

Hmmm, anyone having a late-night chill in the Balearics right now might just be pondering... 'do I look north, or south?'... 

Could contain:

Think something might be building with you areas name on it, just don't know if it'll have anything but rain. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Think something might be building with you areas name on it, just don't know if it'll have anything but rain. 

Yeah keeping everything crossed (but not holding my breath!). Here's hoping... and also hoping you see some action this weekend 🤞

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The variation in between the latest UKV and AROME in itself is quite stark. What I’m going to take from it is the models are struggling to get a handle on it and it’s all up for grabs. AROME still showing a huge swathe of decent instability sweeping up from the south through tomorrow evening and overnight. Let’s see how it plays out 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Pretty certain that with tomorrow’s western (early morning) and eastern (late evening) opportunities on offer that between them the central south should see something decent. I’m tempted to head down to Butser Hill but more than likely will stay local for this one.

Radars at the ready!

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
2 hours ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

Assume last night was a complete bust then? Looking at radar a messy day to come ☹️

Yep, nearest lightning strike to the UK mainland was a good 60 miles offshore. 

Tomorrow's 'thundery rain' band has now been delayed even further, with models seemingly having picked up a slowing of the low pressure system coming north. While this keeps more of us in the unstable air for longer into the evening (see scattered storms on UKV), I find myself unable to trust these models as far as I could throw them right now!

• Like 3

Posted
28 minutes ago, ChannelThunder said:

Yep, nearest lightning strike to the UK mainland was a good 60 miles offshore. 

Tomorrow's 'thundery rain' band has now been delayed even further, with models seemingly having picked up a slowing of the low pressure system coming north. While this keeps more of us in the unstable air for longer into the evening (see scattered storms on UKV), I find myself unable to trust these models as far as I could throw them right now!

Yes the models handling of convective activity in the past few months has been poor, but especially so with elevated convection from the south. It’s been overplayed every single change. Can’t think of a single situation where anywhere has received a surprise storm, or something slightly more potent than expected. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

What exactly was everyone expecting last night? 

Edited by tomp456
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
2 minutes ago, CoventryWeather said:

The inconsistency 😭

nmmukprate(4).thumb.png.37cf51fcbbcf1784225b92d3e8e114f7.png

nmmukprate(5).thumb.png.ef141f127f2a8eb07a413ff0f5c9aa6c.png

nmmukprate(6).thumb.png.ed2f5fbba87e25d737484a222ff0a25f.png

nmmukprate(7).thumb.png.076d0424e72bfd37482e009bff85ea30.png

nmmukprate(8).thumb.png.cecbc36ad6058b13125cde44813c5dd8.png

nmmukprate(9).thumb.png.05999587d9532b075f03eac2c0eb6ccb.png

Yes...good for some night spherics moving north  though if this was how it played out...would love to see a bit of night time lightning...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

A yellow pacman has been issued.

Haha thats hilarious !!!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

I'm surprised to see a few on here have given up already, but I understand why.

We have the  next 24 to 36 hours to salvage a tiny amount of satisfaction from this pitiful 2023 storm season

If nothing meaningful happens by Monday morning, I will officially throw in the towel for 2023 

Slightly more activity showing for tomorrow evening from around 8pm on the UKv 6z but we know it will have changed on the next run, one can hope though 

• Like 3

Posted
16 minutes ago, Southern Storm said:

I'm surprised to see a few on here have given up already, but I understand why.

We have the  next 24 to 36 hours to salvage a tiny amount of satisfaction from this pitiful 2023 storm season

If nothing meaningful happens by Monday morning, I will officially throw in the towel for 2023 

Slightly more activity showing for tomorrow evening from around 8pm on the UKv 6z but we know it will have changed on the next run, one can hope though 

Reading the forecast over on UKWW you are in an enhanced convective zone, and it’s usually pretty accurate.

Let yourself get excited about this - the form is good, we do have a decent chance 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
3 minutes ago, viking_smb said:

have you got the text from it as well please or link?

"Slight Risk of Elevated Thunderstorms England & Wales 05z-00z

An early heads up to get the ball rolling on this one;

Models and forecast soundings are suggesting that most, if not all convection will remain elevated throughout Sunday. Though it is noted that the enhanced convective zone along the South Coast 14z-00z, will develop within a strong Deep Layer Shear. This means that some storms, whilst elevated could still become severe for a time. Forecast Soundings show a saturated vertical profile which could indicate some local flooding could occur. Wind gusts to 38 kts possible."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
13 minutes ago, Jamie M said:

image.thumb.png.b5d601fc03edf19e6a38df733e9fdaab.png

Tony Gilbert's risk for tomorrow from UKWW

Just a slight risk?

Not great chances for most places going by that forecast apart from the southeast.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
1 hour ago, tomp456 said:

What exactly was everyone expecting last night? 

mr-bean-m4ll1g.gif

A barbeque, and we had one, lovely evening. 

Even had a firework display locally to remember a young Suzuki rider who lost his life last Sunday on the A5.

• Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, wimblettben said:

Just a slight risk?

Not great chances for most places going by that forecast apart from the southeast.

There should be two rounds of activity - the first is more westerly early on and will bring a lot more of the midlands into play

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

I find old Tony G's outlooks a bit hit and miss. For example, he didn't even have Peterborough & The Wash in his risk area last weekend...and look what happened there.

Not a dig or anything, as his efforts are appreciated of course and spot on sometimes! Let's hope he's right with his orange box for tomorrow 😉

Posted
7 minutes ago, ChannelThunder said:

I find old Tony G's outlooks a bit hit and miss. For example, he didn't even have Peterborough & The Wash in his risk area last weekend...and look what happened there.

Not a dig or anything, as his efforts are appreciated of course and spot on sometimes! Let's hope he's right with his orange box for tomorrow 😉

It looks more west-based to my admittedly untrained eye - I also didn’t see the stuff over Peterborough happening like it did - though I did pick out Newcastle