• Fairly Good
    • Okay
    • A bit bad
    • Bad
    • Revolting
    • 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮
    • Impossible to find!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.
8 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

A bit more humid than other cool summers before late July so not the most pleasant and nights have felt warm but not too bad. I tend to prefer my heat early and autumn late.

I'm the same @summer blizzardto be honest with you.   Think we need to look at how things were nationwide and not just exclusive to our area.   Where i live in Bedfordshire it was an okish kind of summer and agree with the met office as it was a mixed season overall.    

Posted
3 minutes ago, Greyhound81 said:

This summer was just the 11th time in the CET record where all the summer months had a mean temperature above 16c, and only the 3rd time since 1900.  That does not make it a very good summer but it is still interesting.

Doesn't take away the weeks on end of wind rain grey and cool. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
17 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I fell into the same trap as your co workers. I wasn’t expecting a 2022 redux, but at the time I was confident we would be getting a decent sunny summer.

I do remember thinking July wouldn't be as good as June, but I think I was expecting something fairly normal, maybe a little bit on the cloudy side (simply because that has become par for the course since 2007), average rainfall but max temps above average due to a decent number of sunny days and warm seas. A lot seemed to be indicating that the early July low would be a temporary feature, I think the length and severity of the poor spell caught many out.

Similarly I remember forecasts suggesting much of the Mediterranean area, particularly towards the east, might end up with a somewhat cool July. Again that failed epically.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
8 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Doesn't take away the weeks on end of wind rain grey and cool. 

It shows how poor CET is when assessing how good a summer has been.

19C max/15C min suggests to me a poor summer of endless southwesterlies, drizzle, gloom and flatlining temperatures, yet the mean temp of 17C "looks" impressive.

Mean max and sunshine hours give a far better indication of how good a summer has been.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!

Perfectly ok, felt like a normal British summer to me - like when I was kid.   

Enough water to keep the plants alive and the grass green, enough sun that I’m not pasty white, and warm enough that I’ve considered wild swimming a number of times.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
1 hour ago, Summer8906 said:

It shows how poor CET is when assessing how good a summer has been.

19C max/15C min suggests to me a poor summer of endless southwesterlies, drizzle, gloom and flatlining temperatures, yet the mean temp of 17C "looks" impressive.

Mean max and sunshine hours give a far better indication of how good a summer has been.

Ding ding ding!

Say it for those louder at the back, I've been saying this for weeks.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Beanz said:

Perfectly ok, felt like a normal British summer to me - like when I was kid.   

Enough water to keep the plants alive and the grass green, enough sun that I’m not pasty white, and warm enough that I’ve considered wild swimming a number of times.  

When were you a kid? Just curious.

If you grew up between 1960 and 1986, I can see how this summer would be seen as acceptable.

Or maybe I should say before 1975, as there were very few hot summers before that year and 32c wasn’t a regular thing. 

For me it was poor, because I remember always liking warm sunny summers as a child of the 80s. I never enjoyed the chilly summers of 85 and 86. Always felt cold when we were holidaying in the U.K. during those years, but 83, 84 and 89 along with 90, were proper summers in my mind.

I’m glad I wasn’t alive during the 60s. The summers look awful even compared to the 80s.

8 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Ding ding ding!

Say it for those louder at the back, I've been saying this for weeks.

You sound like Hector from Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul 🤣

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
8 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

When were you a kid? Just curious.

If you grew up between 1960 and 1986, I can see how this summer would be seen as acceptable.

Or maybe I should say before 1975, as there were very few hot summers before that year and 32c wasn’t a regular thing. 

For me it was poor, because I remember always liking warm sunny summers as a child of the 80s. I never enjoyed the chilly summers of 85 and 86. Always felt cold when we were holidaying in the U.K. during those years, but 83, 84 and 89 along with 90, were proper summers in my mind.

I’m glad I wasn’t alive during the 60s. The summers look awful even compared to the 80s.

80s - 90s 

In fairness I guess it doesn’t matter, weather records and childhood memories skew our bias somewhat.  I have no idea what the actual weather was like then, and would never pretend to know what summer 1975 was like as I wasn’t even alive, and as posted above, stats don’t really paint a picture of reality.  

My vote was ‘okay’, for the reasons I mentioned above, a mix of the right things.  A poor summer could equally be interpreted by others as one where we’ve had no rainfall, droughts, poor crop harvest etc.  

I’m sure some will disagree, but there is no right or wrong, it’s entirely subjective.  

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Beanz said:

80s - 90s 

In fairness I guess it doesn’t matter, weather records and childhood memories skew our bias somewhat.  I have no idea what the actual weather was like then, and would never pretend to know what summer 1975 was like as I wasn’t even alive, and as posted above, stats don’t really paint a picture of reality.  

My vote was ‘okay’, for the reasons I mentioned above, a mix of the right things.  A poor summer could equally be interpreted by others as one where we’ve had no rainfall, droughts, poor crop harvest etc.  

I’m sure some will disagree, but there is no right or wrong, it’s entirely subjective.  

Yeah I agree with most of what you say.

I don’t remember 1975 personally, but my family said it was hot. They just remember it after many years of cooler summers.

• Like 1

Posted

Ik I already reviewed this summer, but I think this summer could be compared to Summer 2016 (including May)

May 2023 & August 2016
Both are decent, relative to their average, reasonably warm, sunny and dry

June 2023 & September 2016
Both are exceptional in many ways, with some record breAaking temperatures for the time of year. While 2023 was longer lived, both ended with pretty good T-Storms. However, 2023 went off and produced antoher very hot spell on the 25th

July 2023 & June 2016
Both are wet and cool, but both has brief hot spellls (2023 was short lived, while 2016 was 5 days). July started not too bad though. Afterwards both were dreadful and aas dull as dishwater

August 2023 & July 2016
Boith were mixed months, with a couple very wet days at the start, and quite dry throughout. Both had brief warm/hot spells. 2016 was hotter, but 2023s warmth was spread throughout mid-month. SImilar levels of sunshine and average temperatures

Edited by baddie
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

A little late to the party was busy with things IRL getting ready for a trip to Spain. 

June= 10/10, weeks of endless wall to wall sunshine and some thundery spells mid month, nice and warm but not ultra hot meaning pleasant to do outdoor stuff and no hot sweaty nights. A ideal June, heck it would even make for a lovely July. If I had to make a perfect summer June 2023 would be my pick for that years June. June 2018 comes the closest I would say. 

July= 1.5/10 oh boy what a garbage rubbish trash whatever you call it month. Saved from a 0 for a short spell of sunny warm weather mid month and some thunderstorms early on. Endless cloud, rain and below average temperatures means this goes in the hall of shame alongside delightful classics such as 2007,2009 and 2012. Closest I would say is July 2009 but 2007 and 2012 work too.

August= 3.5/10 basically a slightly better version of July. Still quite gloomy and with no real sustained sunshine or summery weather apart from a short lived sunny warm burst mid month but a fair bit more usable days than July had. Would have been a 4 if not for the very poor weather in the last week of August with heavy rain and highs in the low-mid teens. Reminded me most of a slightly warmer August 2017. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Here in Edmonton..it started hot and sunny for the first week or so of June which was a continuation of a hot May (which was warmer than any of the summer months) After the first 10 days June became very wet and rather cool..this continued into July which often quite wet but average temps..same thing for August as July ..quite a stormy summer though probably the most storms since the summer of 2010.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

June here was quite dry and sunny but with an Easterly element to the wind often not particularly warm compared with other parts of the country. Still managed a high of 26C which was only just beaten today. July was a fraction cooler and around 1hour less sunshine but well over twice the rainfall.

Not fully completed the stats for August but looks like being just the warmest month with rainfall in between June and July's totals.

No problem with measuring the rainfall in September so far as there has been none and today has been the warmest day of the year. First time since 1998 that this has occurred in September.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, cosy and stormy, cold and frosty, some snow

Definitely agree with the consensus on here that June was great (10 for me) July was pretty poor (3) and August was alright (5.5), would've been 6 but the BH weekend just took it down a notch. If July had even a short heatwave in the second half of the month I think I'd regard this summer as one to remember. I do consider May and September an extended summer period so overall I'm satisfied with this year.

• Like 1

Posted

I found summer to be ok overall, but the biggest let down was that the worst of the weather seemed to occur at the weekends!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

An interesting summer. I would imagine peoples view of it might have been a bit different if the active low pressure systems that buggered up about eight weekends on the trot had happened in the working week and the drier brighter spells in between them had happened at the weekends. 

My location is one of the sunniest and driest generally so tends to get the best of any brightness on offer.  So despite the run of dodgy weekends it hasn't felt bad overall and certainly better than the humid overbearing heat of summer 2022.

I do understand why those in other parts feel its been crap though Having had far more wet days than I have down here.