• Fairly Good
    • Okay
    • A bit bad
    • Bad
    • Revolting
    • 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮
    • Impossible to find!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Tell that to everyone here who keeps harping on about how typical, normal and average this summer season was!

Or those who keep whining about how 'cool' it's been. It wasn't a cool summer! 😁

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

June was great, but it could have been better; there was still a chill in the air in the shade whenever the breeze picked up during the first week.

July was atrocious, 1c below average, dullest in over 30 years and rainy.

August was mediocre. Slightly below average temps and sunshine, with average rainfall.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, B87 said:

June was great, but it could have been better; there was still a chill in the air in the shade whenever the breeze picked up during the first week.

July was atrocious, 1c below average, dullest in over 30 years and rainy.

August was mediocre. Slightly below average temps and sunshine, with average rainfall.

Worst July for years. No amount of 'averages' will make it look good. One day on 7th July. That was it. 

Posted
Just now, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Worst July for years. No amount of 'averages' will make it look good. One day on 7th July. That was it. 

Summer should never feel fresh or chilly in the shade or in a breeze. That is what you would expect in April.

2 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

But all the averages already point to July being awful.

Posted
5 hours ago, Methuselah said:

Or those who keep whining about how 'cool' it's been. It wasn't a cool summer! 😁

It wasn’t that warm either, but let’s not go there, because I’ll be called ‘boring’ and be banned 🤣

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

This summer started out awful and gave us a lifeline as we dodged many bullets. Summer is what it always is; a 16 week test of my sanity and endurance 

Versus a 9 month test of sanity with grey clag and gloomy cloudy conditions. Just what the doctor ordered.

No wonder this country has created bands like The Cure and The Smiths. The grey weather has definitely influenced the music that Britain churns out.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It wasn’t that warm either, but let’s not go there, because I’ll be called ‘boring’ and be banned 🤣

It wasn't warm at all. July was terrible. Some ok days in August. Cool blustery wet dull. Awful.

2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Versus a 9 month test of sanity with grey clag and gloomy cloudy conditions. Just what the doctor ordered.

No wonder this country has created bands like The Cure and The Smiths. The grey weather has definitely influenced the music that Britain churns out.

And Joy Division !

Posted
2 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

It wasn't warm at all. July was terrible. Some ok days in August. Cool blustery wet dull. Awful.

And Joy Division !

He hung himself in the bathroom, in May 1980. Go figure.

Maybe he was tired of the dire climate back then!

In all seriousness, he was consumed with guilt for having an affair with some music journalist who was hanging around with him at the time. 

Ian Curtis was one selfish stainglass window.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

This summer started out awful and gave us a lifeline as we dodged many bullets. Summer is what it always is; a 16 week test of my sanity and endurance 

Same with me December to February. To be endured and count down the days to April. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
Just now, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Same with me December to February. To be endured and count down the days to April. 

Make that October to March...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
22 minutes ago, B87 said:

Summer should never feel fresh or chilly in the shade or in a breeze. That is what you would expect in April.

But all the averages already point to July being awful.

It didn't apart from in June. It was a humid type of warmth most days of summer. Here anyway.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted

Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't followed on from an awful spring too. Waiting patiently or some sort of warm-up from March to the end of May proved fruitless, as we had the constant cloud, rain & low temperatures. A couple of exceptional weeks in June, and then back to the same dross that had been on offer since the end of February. I don't mind a mixed summer, but June apart, warm, dry and especially sunny days, have been at a premium until now, when the renewed horrors of autumn & winter are staring at us, as we enjoy the last decent meal of the condemned season.

1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

It didn't apart from in June. It was a humid type of warmthost days of summer.

Maybe in your area Alexis, but not here, It was just cold and wet.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

To be fair mate, you are guaranteed heat at some point in the summer every year. The cold lovers can go years without even a bit of sleet.

18 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

All I know is heat and intense sunlight give me migraines and make everyday tasks more difficult and uncomfortable. Each their own though.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Massive band  Joy Division. Always wonder where they would be today. Obviously New Order took over but we will never know. I'm off to see Peter Hook and the Light in Wolverhampton October. 

That’s an interesting one isn’t it.

New Order formed from the ashes, and their first album in 81 still had that leftover sound from Joy Division.

Blue Monday didn’t come out until 83, so a lot of changes could have taken place in those 3 years between Love Will Tear Us Apart and Blue Monday.

I feel it would have been something similar to the way The Jam ended up, with Paul Weller wanting to leave and form the Style Council.

Ian Curtis would have felt increasingly alienated with the changing landscape and would have jumped ship. That’s my take on it.

Posted

Yeah Ian Curtis had his health issues which Peter Hook has well documented. Reference to the Jam. Another of my favourite bands. Late 70's punk/new wave in to the early 80's a brilliant time for music. But also fashion and links to football clubs . Admitted also football holliganism but it was all there. Punk. New Wave. Ska. Reggae. A truly great era for music/fashion/culture  

Posted
18 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

To be fair mate, you are guaranteed heat at some point in the summer every year. The cold lovers can go years without even a bit of sleet.

We are yet to see a frost-free year, however 2007 and 2008 both failed to even see a 30c day here. There will always be cold days in winter. Very rarely there will be a summer with no hot days.

Posted
6 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Yeah Ian Curtis had his health issues which Peter Hook has well documented. Reference to the Jam. Another of my favourite bands. Late 70's punk/new wave in to the early 80's a brilliant time for music. But also fashion and links to football clubs . Admitted also football holliganism but it was all there. Punk. New Wave. Ska. Reggae. A truly great era for music/fashion/culture  

I wish I was born in 1966, so I would have been old enough to enjoy and witness the period of September 79 with Gary Numan arriving on the scene and setting the stage for the transition into the 80s. Pink Floyd’s rare occasion of having a number 1, with the impressive music video, the 2-tone stuff with Madness and The Specials, the tail end of New Wave and early synth pop and New Romantic stuff. 

As for the Jam, they were great, but I do believe Weller made the right decorations to push on with Style Council. Also liked David Bowie around this period, especially his Scary Monsters album. 

I think Band Aid killed it off, and things were never the same again. 

I listen to Chart Music podcast with Al Needham and they often refer to the Live Aid period as the boundary between where the good 80s end, and the bad 80s start. Way too many crappy American bands or stuff that sounded yank started popping up in the mid 80s.

Anyway back to the weather 👍

5 minutes ago, B87 said:

We are yet to see a frost-free year, however 2007 and 2008 both failed to even see a 30c day here. There will always be cold days in winter. Very rarely there will be a summer with no hot days.

Yeah agree with this. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
40 minutes ago, davehsug said:

Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't followed on from an awful spring too. Waiting patiently or some sort of warm-up from March to the end of May proved fruitless, as we had the constant cloud, rain & low temperatures. A couple of exceptional weeks in June, and then back to the same dross that had been on offer since the end of February. I don't mind a mixed summer, but June apart, warm, dry and especially sunny days, have been at a premium until now, when the renewed horrors of autumn & winter are staring at us, as we enjoy the last decent meal of the condemned season.

Maybe in your area Alexis, but not here, It was just cold and wet.

This whole spring/summer period has been a waste apart from 20th May - 26th June, and possibly September depending on how it turns out. Everything else has been pretty awful!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.

A very mixed season overall, apparently for the whole of the summer nationwide we had 11% more rain and 6% more sunshine.  This summer wasn't as bad as how some of us perceived it to be and we have had worse summers in the past.  Think some of us pay too much attention to the gutter press and whatever nonsense they come out with.   The gutter press and the third party forecasting sites should be ignored at all times ⏲️ .