Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

Starting to get noticeably more windy here in Newcastle. Can hear a roar when a gust comes along. I'd say maybe mid 40s?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

A bit more breezy in the last hour or so, maybe into the 40s but nothing damaging or disruptive other than a few bins blown over.

Posted

If you follow/followed the "Joint Cyclone Centre" on X, you might be forgiven for thinking a CAT 1-2 Hurricaine was on the way to the UK!  (Which obviously, is impossible given our SSTs, amongst other factors ). I really do dislike their scaremongering for likes/follows model.

In reality, this was just a bog standard Autumnal Low.  A bit windy and a bit wet, but nothing worthy of causing serious disruption.  

I think in naming the storm at the time they did, ultimately the UKMO did the right thing as the intensity of explosive cyclogensis is notoriously difficult to model/forecast never mind the probability for stingjets to appear and amplify the severity of conditions, especially given this setup. Its not like we have the luxury the NHC do and are able on a whim to fly a research jet through the middle of the storm and fire dropsonde into the system to capture precise data. Their issuing of a yellow warning was the correct approach in my opinion . Hopefully it entails that when an Amber, heaven forbid, Red, storm warming is issued, the general public take a little bit more heed of it.

I'm in Glasgow, and the bins haven't even blown over lol. Zero convective activity, although a lot of precipitation throughout the day.  Ironically we had a spell of severe weather around one week ago (when the nationwide Sky Broadband outage occurred) which provided more severe impacts in terms of precipitation intensity than Agnes.

According to UKMO our lowest recorded barometric pressure was 988Mb at 00:00 and wind gust 34mph at 02:00...

Edited by jmp223
Typos
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Max gust 40mph which was around the forecast value.

Posted

The warning needed up dating no idea why we had one as it wasn't ever going to effect us so really should have been adjusted yesterday morning.

• Like 2

Posted

We ended up with some stronger gusts late into the evening, up to around 40mph. We never had a warning, and rightly so, but what's noteworthy, is that further West, in the warning area, away from the coasts, the gusts were similar or just a little more than our experience here. I guess it was a tricky one for the Met Office. A storm that wasn't quite a storm really, unless you were on the West Coast somewhere.

I think it's reasonable that they have some sort of margin of error, otherwise they'd be caught out when things go the other way, and are slightly more severe than the models suggest. These storm warnings are always going to be broad brush approaches, because they can develop and travel so erratically. 

The West Coast definitely needed that yellow warning. There were gusts over 60mph in a number of spots. Not exactly beach weather, I've seen some lovely footage from my family staying in a caravan on the sea front on Cardigan Bay. It was wild, with large waves and sea foam pushing into the caravan park. 

cgicurrentgraph.thumb.gif.147be7df48f08b5eb7eac042b47546b0.gif

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Ended up being much less then expected here with most gusts in the 30's and just one of 40mph.

Still bought a few twigs and leaves onto the ground though.

• Like 1

Posted

For me when the warnings went up fair enough even then the local forecasts disagreed with them. They should have been updated on the day though and in this modern age of communication they are simply too slow to update. I just find irritating you open the local forecast and it says dry and sunny all day but then you have  a warning for severe thunderstorms for example.  It's just poor communication.

• Like 1