Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 minutes ago, Mark88 said:

The 'Joint Cyclone Center' tweets (or whatever we call tweets now on X) have a worrying amount of engagement for pseudo-science. There is obviously no such thing as a recognised 'category 3 major cyclone' in reference to an extratropical cyclone. They are trying to spook people with graphics that remind us of those agencies that forecast tropical cyclones when the two weather phenomena are unrelated and work by completely different physics. Regardless of the central pressure of low-pressure systems or maximum isolated gusts, an extratropical storm like Agnes will never operate in the same way as a tropical cyclone. Agnes will still have impacts which people can see by referring to Met Éireann and UK Met Office guidance. 

Agreed, I don't get why some organisations/people do this, want to scare vulnerable/normal people who don't know better with complete nonsense.

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Remember it was actually the Irish met office, sorry can't remember what they are called, that named this storm for Thier impacts. It's not so bad for most of us.

You are incorrect. The UK Met Office named it.

• Like 3

Posted

MWIS summit forecast for today

Eyri/Snowdonia: South to southeasterly; soon strengthening rapidly in morning, 40 to 70mph, reaching 80-90mph by afternoon with stronger gusts, over 100mph Snowdon/Yr Wyddfa range later afternoon. Turning SW'ly 60-80mph evening, slowly easing overnight.

Lake District: South to southeasterly; strengthening rapidly 25 to 50mph in the morning, reaching 70-80mph into afternoon, later 90mph with stronger gusts on higher western fells. Turning SW'ly 60-80mph during evening into night.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
5 hours ago, Mark88 said:

The 'Joint Cyclone Center' tweets (or whatever we call tweets now on X) have a worrying amount of engagement for pseudo-science. There is obviously no such thing as a recognised 'category 3 major cyclone' in reference to an extratropical cyclone. They are trying to spook people with graphics that remind us of those agencies that forecast tropical cyclones when the two weather phenomena are unrelated and work by completely different physics. Regardless of the central pressure of low-pressure systems or maximum isolated gusts, an extratropical storm like Agnes will never operate in the same way as a tropical cyclone. Agnes will still have impacts which people can see by referring to Met Éireann and UK Met Office guidance. 

Nothing but scare-mongering and is exactly why the Met Office get blame thrown at when there is this mis-information.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

The Met Office yellow warning has done its early warning job of highlighting the potential of severe weather (when it was issued on Sunday) but maybe the naming of Storm Agnes by the UK Met Office took over that role. So the warning areas could have become more specific yesterday (or even just tightened up), although there will have been an element of uncertainty around the explosively deepening low pressure out in the Atlantic overnight. 

There is a balance of over-warning, then people becoming immune to yellow warnings, and yet dealing with uncertainty but letting people know in good time- before they set off for the day.

https://resources.eumetrain.org/satmanu/shapiro_keyser_cm/index.html

Worth noting the Shapiro Keyser type fronts marked on ASXX and FSXX pressure charts, see link for info. Would have been Sting Jet territory out over the ocean, bound to make Met Office's jumpy even though this part of the development was last night.

MetEireann have numerous Orange warnings in the south, for rain and wind.  "Spells of heavy and occasionally intense rain...Very strong and gusty southerly winds, with some severe and damaging gusts."

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!
8 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Remember it was actually the Irish met office, sorry can't remember what they are called, that named this storm for Thier impacts. It's not so bad for most of us.

Met Eireann, I thought it was the other way round

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, icykev said:

Met Eireann, I thought it was the other way round

Doesn't matter much but the Met Office tweet was weird because it didn't say- usually the first tweet includes who named it.

Met Eireann did put out this, but the most impactful weather does look (at the moment) to be for Ireland. strange

Could contain:

Edited by Jo Farrow
  • Like 2

Posted

Update to the UK Met Office warnings now. 

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Last 24 hours ish of storm Agnes, classic Shapiro Keyser development. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

Last 24 hours ish of storm Agnes, classic Shapiro Keyser development. 

Here we go again with my annual confusion. Is that a suggestion of a pretty little sting jet at the end, that band of dark, dry air? Every year I ask someone to explain sting jets to me,every year I understand it and every year I then forget and have to start all over again.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
9 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

Here we go again with my annual confusion. Is that a suggestion of a pretty little sting jet at the end, that band of dark, dry air? Every year I ask someone to explain sting jets to me,every year I understand it and every year I then forget and have to start all over again.

I believe there was a sting jet in the early hours of this morning, with a few mets confirming this. They usually last a few hours.

Could contain:

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

I believe there was a sting jet in the early hours of this morning, with a few mets confirming this. They usually last a few hours.

Could contain:

Thank you so much for responding. I might be in danger of finally grasping this concept.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The weather isn't too bad down here in South Devon, but there's some lovely cloudscapes...

Could contain:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
2 minutes ago, Slysi100 said:

The weather isn't too bad down here in South Devon, but there's some lovely cloudscapes...

Could contain:

A type of Aspiratus cloud . Very nice 👍😊

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Surrprised they haven't adjusted the warnings. We are still in the warning with only forecast winds of 42mph.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Quickly fills from now on as illustrated by the graphs…..

IMG_0685.webp

IMG_0686.webp

IMG_0687.webp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!

My ferry from Roslare to Fishguard was cancelled so booked on the 20.30 from Dublin to Holyhead. Now looking like that will be cancelled too, ferrys cant get into Dublin port and the wind is really picking up now even inland @ Co.Laois ☹Screenshot_20230927-125110_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.edbb2b3be83939c49f2c7c2768351fd0.jpg

• Like 1