Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn & Winter 2023---2024 Stratospheric Polar Vortex. Events, Analysis, Discussions AND Outlooks

Posted

Todays ec46 swings away from notable spv weakness and high heights through first half December.  I guess until we get a handle on Aleutian low and ural or scrussian ridges then these swings will continue 

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Todays ec46 swings away from notable spv weakness and high heights through first half December.  I guess until we get a handle on Aleutian low and ural or scrussian ridges then these swings will continue 

It does seem to be moving inline with thoughts about an early mild winter period, so perhaps this is the most likely outcome among the swings?

Edited by Don

Posted
On 07/11/2023 at 20:30, bluearmy said:

We have Berlin data back !

I have a query about the 10hpa charts though - the mean zonal wind at 10hpa seems way too low (on both the heights chart and also the zonal flow cross section ) 

gfs has it pretty much double the Berlin figure as does the ec46 zonal flow chart 

am I missing something?

The Berlin site certainly seems to be missing somethings.

i think they have revamped it, it looks different. Like the U wind charts that includes the Southern Hemisphere now, I’m sure it didn’t before?  But most areas are not available at all and a few others that are have aspects missing.

Hopefully a Work In Progress that will be complete soon, in time for winter ❄️ 

Posted
33 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

The Berlin site certainly seems to be missing somethings.

i think they have revamped it, it looks different. Like the U wind charts that includes the Southern Hemisphere now, I’m sure it didn’t before?  But most areas are not available at all and a few others that are have aspects missing.

Hopefully a Work In Progress that will be complete soon, in time for winter ❄️ 

Indeed but the U wind at 60N is surely a miscalculation 

Zonal cross section now full globe as you say 

Edited by bluearmy

Posted
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

Colour me shocked ...

Oh well hope springs eternal 😆

Posted
11 hours ago, bluearmy said:

It does looks very wrong. The JMA has this at 10mb.

IMG_1870.thumb.jpeg.a36cf15003aa7e39deb121e304401e3f.jpeg

Data input error… 

11 hours ago, bluearmy said:

Data input error… 

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

Data input error… 

Data input error… 

Berlin chart looks ok up to around 45N so it’s v odd indeed 

Edited by bluearmy

Posted

Upper strat slowdown becoming ever less notable - the drop below the expected mean is beyond mid dec now and really not particularly likely to be much below average according to last few ec46 runs 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

I thought the end had been looking a little better again on the last few runs (top left), but there's no denying that as has been the case for a while, if you crop the more dubious period beyond one month out of the charts, you're left with a probable very strong vortex for most of the next month:

image.thumb.png.af1aa39503dedb586380451c5163b75e.png

image.thumb.png.e72014a71d41c4d04035b820a67713c7.png

Edited by RainAllNight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

A strong early vortex is not necessarily a bad thing in the long run, we shouldn’t lose sight of that.

I’d sooner this, with a coupling of strat and trop now (with a decent SSW chance in January), than a slightly below average strat that does nothing for us at trop level other than half heartedly throw an Atlantic trough at us with a bulging Euro HP.

• Like 2

Posted
17 hours ago, Cheshire Freeze said:

A strong early vortex is not necessarily a bad thing in the long run, we shouldn’t lose sight of that.

I’d sooner this, with a coupling of strat and trop now (with a decent SSW chance in January), than a slightly below average strat that does nothing for us at trop level other than half heartedly throw an Atlantic trough at us with a bulging Euro HP.

Thats  handy Aaron 

today is a date record 

• Like 1

Posted

2 gfs ops responding to the highly amplified trop patterns and driving a very displaced weak spv end week 2 

even if the modelled Atlantic amplification turns out to be a bit of a dud, perhaps we can still get this solution high up due to Alaskan ridge downstream of w Aleutian trough coupled with central n Asian ridge (broadly ural) 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild, sunny winters/stormy, snowy winters and warm, dry summers

I have no idea what this means because im practically a rookie at this kind of meterology image.thumb.png.f692c4d2f94e9d1eaf5956c0bd36b626.png

First improvement in the chance of an SSW in a long time

image.png

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, bluearmy said:

2 gfs ops responding to the highly amplified trop patterns and driving a very displaced weak spv end week 2 

even if the modelled Atlantic amplification turns out to be a bit of a dud, perhaps we can still get this solution high up due to Alaskan ridge downstream of w Aleutian trough coupled with central n Asian ridge (broadly ural) 

Would fit a tropical wave hitting 8/1 locations (the signal of which has been waxing and waning in regards to its amplitude) The higher the better obviously. But a North Atlantic/pacific combo followed by Alaskan/Ural combination is classic SSW precursors. I personally don’t think this round of tropical convection has the strength this time and that we’d be looking at December into January for the next wave before we hit any ssw jackpot however. That’s my novice take on things be interesting to hear Ed’s thoughts not seen him posting yet this year?

• Like 1

Posted
20 hours ago, bluearmy said:

Well the consistency of two gfs runs have now evaporated as far as any ideas of an early strong warming into beg dec are concerned. 

Posted
59 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Well the consistency of two gfs runs have now evaporated as far as any ideas of an early strong warming into beg dec are concerned. 

Typical! 😒 

Posted
3 hours ago, Don said:

Typical! 😒 

It should be noted that I don’t currently see much evidence of likely coupling from the strong spv down to the tpv out to end nov on the zonal flow x sections .  (Although there are sniffs that the long held prediction by the ec 46 of the spv being slightly displaced on the Asian side broadly around svaalbard is beginning to drift towards n Greenland in tandem with a strengthening E Canadian tpv as we enter December ) 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

Thanks for the heads up Blue.

Even if it isn't nice reading for coldies..

Not expecting December to be up to much and that's supported by the seasonal models really.  Anything more would be a bonus and December more likely to be a continuation of November, with any real interest reserved until the New Year at least?

Edited by Don

Posted
3 minutes ago, Don said:

Not expecting December to be up to much and that's supported by the seasonal models really.  Anything more would be a bonus and December is more likely to be a continuation of November, with any real interest reserved until the New Year at least?

I'm not typing what I think , it's dangerous in here 🤣

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

I'm not typing what I think , it's dangerous in here 🤣

True lol 🤣.  Reading between the lines, you're not expecting a great winter for some?! 🤔 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Posted
49 minutes ago, Don said:

True lol 🤣.  Reading between the lines, you're not expecting a great winter for some?! 🤔 🤷‍♂️

I've no idea what to expect for winter although Nov is a horror show and I really don't like the idea of Dec following November.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Placed this into the model thread too, as it relates there as well, but the zonal winds chart from ECM suggesting a weaker than average early December.

ps2png-worker-commands-76898cbbf-f5rht-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-rdu4pd.thumb.png.75efdfa6024cd44b86bff93ab83b2952.png

• Like 1