Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn & Winter 2023---2024 Stratospheric Polar Vortex. Events, Analysis, Discussions AND Outlooks

Posted

Is there SUDDEN stratospheric warming brewing? Or what happens? It is therefore an extremely interesting change that has occurred in a short time. Therefore perhaps suddenly? EC46 has shown a stable strengthening vortex with a slow weakening at the end for a long time. But now the strong intensifying warming in 10 hPa from the North Pole on its way to Canada/Greenland over the last two days shows.

EC 46 on Sunday:

https://charts.ecmwf.int/streaming/20231121-2000/47/render-worker-commands-76898cbbf-zdbjw-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-rHarLF.png?fbclid=IwAR0cP_ymedoQZbRZKavBj2J2Mf24WvN8uQXUItKx4fHPZBx09ia-na7jVbM

EC46 today:

https://charts.ecmwf.int/streaming/20231121-2000/8a/render-worker-commands-76898cbbf-z7r8s-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-PQSOm2.png?fbclid=IwAR3Fkhjtjlkb2dn2rDGas4NDCrLRBGX6p3xdkIHyVW2pEj8p0pJFWkAQ85w

And just look at the change in the zonal wind from Sunday to today:

https://charts.ecmwf.int/streaming/20231121-1240/5d/ps2png-worker-commands-76898cbbf-5kktb-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-eOe5nM.png?fbclid=IwAR3twESXABbKnetwZf0WI3gVd2qfyF7wXuG_bzpiG_SvMcJaX64rXE1pGBk

https://charts.ecmwf.int/streaming/20231121-2000/da/ps2png-worker-commands-76898cbbf-f5rht-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-rdu4pd.png?fbclid=IwAR3Fkhjtjlkb2dn2rDGas4NDCrLRBGX6p3xdkIHyVW2pEj8p0pJFWkAQ85w

There is something to keep an eye on. It has appeared like a troll from a box with the change from one day to the next, But now suddenly some interesting development happens. And it is perhaps connected with the Atlantic ridge connecting Scandinavia and increasing wave 2 activity? Something is being written here:

The tripole in the Atlantic has also developed. The jet stream is much further south than expected. Perhaps as a result of the combination of ice growth and solid cold over Scandinavia, the contrast between cold in the Nordics and warm in Southern Europe has increased. So the flow is further south than normal even in a strong stratosphere. And now with good trends also in the stratosphere. I think it matches very well with 2009/10. I think Europe will get plenty of winter this year.

Edited by frederiksen90
  • Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
2 hours ago, frederiksen90 said:

There is something to keep an eye on. It has appeared like a troll from a box with the change from one day to the next, But now suddenly some interesting development happens. And it is perhaps connected with the Atlantic ridge connecting Scandinavia and increasing wave 2 activity? 

The tripole in the Atlantic has also developed. The jet stream is much further south than expected. Perhaps as a result of the combination of ice growth and solid cold over Scandinavia, the contrast between cold in the Nordics and warm in Southern Europe has increased. So the flow is further south than normal even in a strong stratosphere. And now with good trends also in the stratosphere. I think it matches very well with 2009/10. I think Europe will get plenty of winter this year.

I think it is definitely connected with the connecting ridge through Scandi into Russia, as that only appeared in the modelling yesterday, and today the models seem confident about it.  For a good fortnight previously, high pressure had vanished from that area and the strat warming threat had receded on the ECM 46 accordingly.  It’s back now!

Re, the tripole, is it known if the tripole has emerged because of the southerly tracking jet (which has been so for a while now on average), or is the southerly tracking jet caused by the tripole?  

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
3 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I think it is definitely connected with the connecting ridge through Scandi into Russia, as that only appeared in the modelling yesterday, and today the models seem confident about it.  For a good fortnight previously, high pressure had vanished from that area and the strat warming threat had receded on the ECM 46 accordingly.  It’s back now!

Re, the tripole, is it known if the tripole has emerged because of the southerly tracking jet (which has been so for a while now on average), or is the southerly tracking jet caused by the tripole?  

Tripole is chicken and egg. 

But it's worth saying that while there is a tripole it's further north than is optimum (whether this impacts the pattern down the line is speculative of course).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Is there a definitive list of canadian warming events anywhere that anyone knows of?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine

An interesting read and something I hadn't even considered:

WWW.BBC.COM

Extreme wildfires are increasing due to rising emissions, but they also disrupt the climate in return. Weighing up the overall impact, however, is tricker than it seems.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

I wonder if we’ll see Ed popping up soon @chionomaniac ………

this all looks v interesting high up 

I was wondering the same 

Posted
6 hours ago, Premiere Neige said:

An interesting read and something I hadn't even considered:

WWW.BBC.COM

Extreme wildfires are increasing due to rising emissions, but they also disrupt the climate in return. Weighing up the overall impact, however, is tricker than it seems.

Now we know how to guarantee the UK a cold winter every year. Not good news for Canadians though.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
17 minutes ago, SqueakheartLW said:

Now we know how to guarantee the UK a cold winter every year. Not good news for Canadians though.

😂😂😂 I shouldn't laugh but...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Events

I've seen a few posts about the effect of the Canadian wildfires on the strat but I was wondering if anyone had anymore info on the effect of the Tonga eruption from  Jan 2022.

Now i know thats a long time ago now but a few articles have been cropping up recently about how it seems to have changed things a fair bit up in the stratosphere. I've linked an article below, it focuses a lot on the southern hemisphere but it does mention "Previous studies found that the eruption increased water vapor in the stratosphere by 10% worldwide", along with a whole load of other changes with things like ozone being effected.

From what I've read it could take a number of years to return to normal, it would be great to find a study on the impact its had in the northern hemisphere if anyone has a link.

Anyway here is the link I mentioned earlier:

PHYS-ORG.CDN.AMPPROJECT.ORG

When the Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai volcano erupted on January 15, 2022 in the South Pacific, it produced a shock wave felt around the world...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Does anyone know if there is any formal defined criterion for a Canadian warming.  I don’t think we are expecting a reversal at 10hPA 60N as for a SSW, there certainly wasn’t in 1962, but these things have been defined in the past, I just wondered on what basis.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
1 hour ago, Mike Poole said:

Does anyone know if there is any formal defined criterion for a Canadian warming.  I don’t think we are expecting a reversal at 10hPA 60N as for a SSW, there certainly wasn’t in 1962, but these things have been defined in the past, I just wondered on what basis.

The blog is a long read but it does touch on some Canadian warming stuff, written by Judah Cohen. It can lead to SSW's later in the winter i think but Canadian warming themselves don't lead to SSW events straight away I wouldn't think.

A quote from the article: "The models seem to be suggesting a pattern that is referred to as a Canadian warming with high pressure ridging in the polar stratosphere over Canada and not near the Dateline and/or Alaska as in PV stretching."

"Canadian warmings can be precursors to SSWs if the forcing persists, which seems to be implied for the CFS forecast for what that is worth. Setting up the potential for an SSW in January."

image.thumb.png.ac33fd19612ce2c07bd141e3356d93ba.png

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

You can see the lack of strat and trop connection with the latest GFS run quite nicely. The zonal mean U wind component at 60N has all those blues below 300 hPa meaning very weak westerlies and at times reversing to easterlies, due to the blocking heights north of the UK now being established. However above the 30hPa level we see all those oranges and red where the westerlies are much stronger.

An SSW event would turn the strat winds at the top from westerlies to easterlies with those blue / purple colours downwelling, but at the moment at least next few weeks little to no signs of that.

umedel60.png

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

This should get everyone up to date.

SIMONLEEWX.COM

The most commonly-used diagnostic of the strength of the stratospheric polar vortex is the zonal-mean zonal wind at 10 hPa (~30 km) and 60°N (U10-60), which is westerly during winter. It is an easy diagnostic to...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Also found this by accident this week re: later season action..

WhatsAppImage2023-11-21at20_50.05_ecbf992c.thumb.jpg.0ac29294ede6204a75411eba6ad9c501.jpg

AGUPUBS.ONLINELIBRARY.WILEY.COM

Meteofrance you dark horses is point 1

And 2003 - needs some retrospective.

CW table referenced above is here 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
On 22/11/2023 at 10:00, Chesil View said:

Is there a definitive list of canadian warming events anywhere that anyone knows of?

Try this article.. 

https://www.atmosp.physics.utoronto.ca/SPARC/News15/15_Labitzke.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
6 hours ago, Catacol said:

Many thanks Catacol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
On 15/11/2023 at 16:12, Don said:

Not expecting December to be up to much and that's supported by the seasonal models really.  Anything more would be a bonus and December more likely to be a continuation of November, with any real interest reserved until the New Year at least?

Looks like a bonus is coming

BFTP

• Like 3