IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - mid Autumn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

EC46 looks Atlantic ridge-y for next week

image.thumb.png.ae1ab22ad6f281ed03d9f99858a4de24.png

image.thumb.png.f420e2059d959d58d609d1a5597ed9b5.png

Anomalies - so can be misleading but make of it what you will

Going into December it looks pretty westerly. Won't post a bunch of charts but here is the link

ECMWF - Charts.url

CHARTS.ECMWF.INT

Edited by LRD
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Cambrian said:

Yeah, silly old us, clearly nothing doing, all just a coincidence (again).

12z GFS ensemble mean at day 11; 12z GEM ensemble mean at day 11

FF5ECB01-EE33-4B4C-A5C0-56BCC345D638.thumb.png.7ab960572a2097d400ccdae4c455b0fe.png 04C8214C-BEF3-4E02-90D8-428DE4294507.thumb.png.a6ae7ab9483ae28458b0a35c32a62fe2.png 1B85A8E7-F777-495F-AA2E-9F3EFD03C364.thumb.png.8512cc8bb842a7981452149cf71d4aa6.png

12z GFS control at day 12; 12z GEM control at day 14; mere variations on a fortuitous theme…

2B8CF243-F13F-4E69-9E96-C1BE61A61EEA.thumb.png.99c729d8193e0e8f1b5b8b89c3906aea.png AB33EA74-26FB-4CD3-95EF-898AE101BEAF.thumb.png.cc69ccf7d02a180175c1f6e1eb7bccc4.png

But we fall for it every time. 😜

We do.. so long as we remain polite and take it all with a pinch of salt 😉 😉 its all good sport and a nice little distinction and theatre:)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

ECM disappointing again , getting watered down with each run 

Posted

gfs-newcastle-upon-tyne.thumb.jpeg.299cba20553ca5358d08a3ab2ab4f378.jpegGFS 12z ensembles

Well lets hope that the GFS 12z Op is on to something.  We could all do with a few days of a relatively blocked Atlantic . I'd take a 48 hour Northerly or Northwesterly to be honest.  

Posted

Mmm big differences between ECM and GFS this eve longer range, outside the reliable, to be expected. GFS sharpens the scandi trough, no shortwave energy near Iceland, and then builds very steong heights over Greenland.

ECM after playing around with similiar fair, shows a much less clean amplified ridge/trough pattern, hence the mid atlantic heights collspse somewhat and we maintain a mostly westerly airstream, though there is much room for things to evolve as per GFS.

As said this is all beyond the reliable, the outcome could all be different. Just interesting to see different fayre to the Autumn pattern as a whole, a season do far devoid of any real northerly or even north westerly flow.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

You would wonder really what if any use there is in analysing day 10 charts. The ECM proves this time and time again. For the more experienced on here, we know that a pattern change picked up around day 7 is the one to look out for!! They do happen and the counting down is a shorter timeframe.

For me right now the outlook looks rather non descript. Nothing to be despondent about just typical Autumn fayre. The ground temps are still quite high so a few hard ground frosts would be welcome

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM clusters T192-T240, I’ve been keeping a close eye on these last couple of days, and the picture really hasn’t changed much in 3 runs now:

IMG_7623.thumb.png.68b4f194bc2f1e5bb819baa09a88f425.png

The big Atlantic ridge scenario is still here, in clusters 3 and 4, combined 21 members.  So I’m not quite sure why this seems to have been called as ‘GAME OVER’, other than maybe because it is still at day 9/10.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 7

Posted
3 hours ago, blizzard81 said:

Oooh! Ecm you naughty boy. You didn't even attempt to let us down gently 😂. We shouldn't be surprised. This happens just about every year - the end of November tease. It's almost as if it's programmed into the models lol. The big give away this time around was how lowly placed those juicy ecm ops were in the clusters. Must try harder next time ecm when trying to tease. 

Oh balls, are we looking at the first let down of winter 2023/24 (well, not quite winter I know!)?!  If so, will it be one of many or will we have more success during winter proper?! 🤔 😉

4 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Anyone know where to book cheap flights to Sweden ✍️🤷🏻‍♂️👀

88EC5371-CB72-4731-B265-2DA15BD7E07B.png

9507F35E-8969-4156-B8F1-EB64DC235933.png

A postive that Scandinavia remains colder and snowier than average, which could help us down the line?!

• Like 5

Posted

The fact that despite the timescale issue at this time, the models seem to be throwing up various journeys to a cold pattern change must indicate the start of a trend. A bit like focusing in to an object with out of focus binoculars eventually you will get a pin sharp image sooner or later. As someone said yesterday you can’t ignore the trend it’s your friend 👍

the noise over a cold spell is getting louder on various social media outlets so I say despite the uncertainty something is afoot 😁

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
3 minutes ago, Lincs Observation said:

As someone said yesterday you can’t ignore the trend it’s your friend 👍

I used to believe this, but now I’m not so sure.  If you follow a trend, eventually it will change and you’ll be stuck wearing the wrong t-shirt. 

• Like 4

Posted

Not had chance to post much lately in here as I've been busy either in RL or on other threads. Typical that I miss an interesting cold weather chase!

Anyway, I'll see where we're at with the GFS 18z vs ECM 12z comparison. We don't have the GFS 18z ensemble and others have posted the 12z, so here's the ECM 12z high resolution ensemble run for temperatures. For London, temperatures probably net out slightly above average to day 7, and then beyond that the uncertainty magnifies to the point that the chart is fairly meaningless. This can be seen most strongly around day 12, which shows a 25C variation in the 850hPa temperature possibilities, from an ensemble that would probably break the 850hPa record at nearly +15C, all the way down to -10C. Mean flattens everything out as is usual, but it still shows that the ECM is struggling to pick out the way ahead.

image.thumb.png.ea3083a6c628878172f4828dabe3f714.png

As usual when I do 18z vs 12z, I'm lagging the 18z GFS by 6 hours so we are looking at the same valid date and time - e.g. T+66 for GFS and T+72 for ECM.

At T+66/72, there seems to be good agreement that an area of high pressure will build in from the Azores, settling the weather down and leading to a couple of days with temperatures possibly into the mid-teens in places. A strong Greenland high on the GFS, less so on ECM as has been seen for weeks now, and low pressure systems to our west and east.

image.thumb.png.72c4a2dd901b23a578f9b4c78dffd2e1.png image.thumb.png.8c164bb96ca2ebcf637e30564cabc60a.png

At T+114/120, we see that the ridge is unable to hold back the Atlantic, and we see another area of low pressure aimed towards Scotland and northern England. Nothing particularly notable, but more wet and windy weather as a result. Southern areas probably avoid the worst of it. In the broader scale, we see the beginning of some sort of Scandinavian high setup appearing, and the Greenland high weakens. There is also a mid-Atlantic ridge, which could be strong enough to finally hold back the Atlantic for a considerable period.

image.thumb.png.561d2db923ae7ebd81f8679be62432b5.png image.thumb.png.700dd95626c5f5d702376ed3ec5db743.png

At T+162/168, we see both GFS and ECM massively amplify this ridge! A huge area of high pressure sets up in the mid-Atlantic but ridging across into the UK and Scandinavia, with a low around Greenland. It isn't quite enough for snow to low levels most likely, but not too far off especially in more northern regions, so it wouldn't surprise me if we start to see snow down to 250m or so. In any case, clear spells with those 850hPa temperatures will give widespread hard frosts.

image.thumb.png.6c0e49ea608c9f6cc3272b44ef5645c6.png image.thumb.png.0c408de1c60c2d178f41fc0c103c8be3.png

image.thumb.png.efa472b759a279bb722093ac7a1a631b.png image.thumb.png.1b3470c324d458c16687efa12345b2d3.png

Stepping through more slowly, at T+186/192 we see a quick change. The position of the high changes ever so slightly on the GFS, with a slight rotation and less influence across Scandinavia, which quickly allows milder air to return from the southwest. Blocking gets set up over Greenland once again. ECM goes for a radically different scenario, with the high being reshaped more towards central and eastern Europe, with low pressure east of Greenland. Not as mild as the GFS, with temperatures probably close to average.

image.thumb.png.6f68c5d0db8cbae337add0d2cdfc4a6d.png image.thumb.png.433da72f844811abf1621006e735dcd4.png

At T+234/240, we see GFS sticking with its Greenland blocking idea, and we're under a separate area of high pressure now centred just to the south west of Ireland. ECM moves the high further west and looks like it is trying to drag down colder air from the north, but at this point it is still a bit marginal, and the 850hPa temperatures don't show anything unusual for the time of year over the UK. Notably cold in Scandinavia and some parts of Central and Eastern Europe though.

image.thumb.png.ae1f3d68165d62e831bba955976e7a2c.png image.thumb.png.f8fc81fcb2127fe0c9e1ceb5e73b8032.png

The GFS extended shows one or two interesting cold incursions, likely enough for some snowfalls in Scotland. The position at T+384 looks like this. Generally a dry pattern, with high pressure largely in control.

image.thumb.png.10808e3a16039c4e24db13b3dd498a2a.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

All a bit convoluted and full of traps but GFS gets there

image.thumb.png.b35f70186e001edcd77afdd89b1a2c53.png

Not often you get a Greenland high from Arctic blocking moving into Greenland 

By the way, what is the record negative AO 🙏

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted

image.thumb.png.6fc66e210b87f583d96920f1c6f94e79.png

Not seeing much in terms of something dramatically cold, perhaps a Northey toppler, Temps look to be around the same as we seeing now with just a little over at times.  looks to be more of a flat zonal high where we see clear nights may get a touch of ground frost and fog in places, that's about it no 2010 repeat looks likely.  

Best keep the feet firmly on the ground and not get caught up in the hype.

Edited by Nick2373
  • Like 7

Posted

Ecm flat later on once again!!for me if ecm doesnt show what we want i can put the gfs aside lol!!!thats just my opinion!!anyone noticed something typical over the last 3 or 4 days in regards to this potential cold northerly?!someone gimme the right answer i be waiting lol!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
6 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Ecm flat later on once again!!for me if ecm doesnt show what we want i can put the gfs aside lol!!!thats just my opinion!!anyone noticed something typical over the last 3 or 4 days in regards to this potential cold northerly?!someone gimme the right answer i be waiting lol!!

It never gets closer than day 10 and if/when it does, it gets watered down? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

It keeps on being pushed back as part of the downgrade to nothing process 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Premier Neige said:

It never gets closer than day 10 and if/when it does, it gets watered down? 

BINGO!!!!!!!now what i find more interesting is the models tryin to find a bit more amp in the atlantic and the high arching around into scandi at days 5 and 6 more and more in the last few runs!!!we may not get snow out of it but could feel colder and frostier a lot sooner!!lets see if the 12zs keep it going at days 5 and 6!!!

9 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

It keeps on being pushed back as part of the downgrade to nothing process 

BINGO!!!!!!!now what i find more interesting is the models tryin to find a bit more amp in the atlantic and the high arching around into scandi at days 5 and 6 more and more in the last few runs!!!we may not get snow out of it but could feel colder and frostier a lot sooner!!lets see if the 12zs keep it going at days 5 and 6!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1