Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - mid Autumn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
18 minutes ago, Mcconnor8 said:

Not even 1 mild run in the pack there, what a shift wow

And every single individual run on mogreps end up sub zero in all locations I posted . Brilliant 🤩!!!!

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Can someone tell me in simple terms what is going on and why we’re so excited and how certain it is?

On a side note it has felt like snow is on the way here in next few days in the Pennines for about 48 hrs. I know that sounds ridiculous but it has

Edited by Firefly2005
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
Just now, Cold Winter Night said:

The EPS clusters strongly support High Latitude Blocking + Euro Low days 5-7.
The Operational is definitely not on its own.

22nov-EPS12-120.thumb.png.84c605618a4643a6bad6ee5e1fa1c7ed.png

Thereafter, all clusters now assigned to the Negative NAO category. I'd say a much better ensemble than before.

22nov-EPS12-192.thumb.png.682825504000345ca0b23040b9f2d4bb.png

Yes, I was just looking at those.  There may be 6 clusters in the T120-T168 timeframe, but they all follow the same basic evolution.  Where they differ is how quickly they transition from Atlantic ridge (purple border) to -NAO (green border) which unequivocally now looks to be the direction of travel from the EPS.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
19 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Okay.. 

So that explains where I’ve been going wrong with my assessment of the broader situation then. 

I’ll go fetch the sledge..

No mate your putting all your eggs in one basket and coming to the assumption that no block is possible due too the lack of forcing to warrant it!

And the bigger picture suggests we are a small area in a large Northern Hemisphere where small little variables can play havoc on the conditions we end up with at the surface. For me the fact the jet dived South and allowed for such cold air to encroach the NE is a big part of why we find ourselves in this position right now. That an the fact the PV seems to be having a real difficult time in organising regarding its positioning. And for me the PV will be the big decision maker in whether we go cold or not.

Hey folks sometimes i think all the biggest off background drivers could be overridden by some warm waters around the Irish sea...that was a joke but you get my meaning.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

A throwback to some of the output last year about a week later than today. Incredible to be doing it all again for the second year in a row!

F_kCcpHXUAACh6g.png

F_kCfBTWUAA7cPm.jpg

Fi_Iz-QWQAAKndG.png

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

Yes, I was just looking at those.  There may be 6 clusters in the T120-T168 timeframe, but they all follow the same basic evolution.  Where they differ is how quickly they transition from Atlantic ridge (purple border) to -NAO (green border) which unequivocally now looks to be the direction of travel from the EPS.

I'm quite surprised how rapidly the ensemble switched from little interest in Neg. NAO in previous runs to all Neg. NAO clusters tonight.

Normally such a switch would be reason for a lot of caution, but given the developments we see on all the models, we can have a bit more confidence in this potential outcome, I think.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick F said:

True, need that ridge to build in stronger to the N and NW following the trigger low sinking SE, to prevent more lows dropping SE to maintain the cold NE flow.

Unless the trough dropping se backs a bit further west to keep the U.K. on the cold side with no warm sector and se flow ahead of it 

• Like 2

Posted

for those who might be wondering about the CW mentioned way earlier in the thread. Judah Cohen has said the models now showing a warming. More details on impact in Europe can be found here: 

but in short it it “could” lead to prolonged cold in Europe 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

😁😁👌Hope it all looks good in the morning otherwise it will be a atleast its dry. Relax and enjoy the output even if its done a 180 in the morning 😁😁😁

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
Just now, Cold Winter Night said:

I'm quite surprised how rapidly the ensemble switched from little interest in Neg. NAO in previous runs to all Neg. NAO clusters tonight.

Normally such a switch would be reason for a lot of caution, but given the developments we see on all the models, we can have a bit more confidence in this potential outcome, I think.

I think the answer lies in how the ECM (and therefore presumably the EPS) struggled until the eleventh hour with that shortwave in the Atlantic, and only resolved it this morning on the 6z in favour of the GFS solution.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Chasbrown said:

Can people remember the biggest cold fail in the models ie when an expected cold spell failed to materialise?

@That ECM Wed 5th Dec 2012

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
Just now, Chasbrown said:

Can people remember the biggest cold fail in the models ie when an expected cold spell failed to materialise?

December 2012

• Like 1