Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - mid Autumn

Posted
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

ECM hits the buffers by day 8 . Once again the models have overdone the Greenland blocking at longer range .

That’s still a way off but the trend hasn’t been great . 

Absolutely this. I can’t believe that so many years have passed by with so many phantom height rise debacles and yet despite numerous upgrades to all model suites in the intervening years we still don’t seem to have solved this modelling tendency.

I always tend to be sceptical of height rises to the NW beyond day 5 because of this reason. One of these days soon the modelling suites will call one correctly, but it will very much be stopped clock syndrome when they do.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
13 minutes ago, weathercold said:

London 

Why not add your location to your profile? It's always nice for other members to see what part of the country you're from, especially if you're in your Regional thread and post about the snow in your back yard. I've marked a screen grab showing how:

Addinglocation.thumb.jpg.c76b2fef92bcc2647acc33c60209c530.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, Big Gally said:

I’m hoping to see a return of the cold weather as we approach Christmas. 
It’s great start to winter considering the dross the uk has endured the last few years.

Many more twists and turns to come.

I think anything woukd be an improvement on previous seasons. Tonight's runs will be important to reinforce this. Keep the faith all! 

• Like 1

Posted

Everything seems fine to me, what happens beyond the end of next week is irrelevant right now as its a week away, let's get the end of week settled and sorted, the outcome of that will go some way to determine what happens afterwards. UKMO is brilliant and so is the GFS at the end or final 3rd but that's not the most reliable...just shows there are many different options available and charts will flip flow for a bit yet.

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

EC46 has upgraded the cold anomaly 27th to 4th

image.thumb.png.24bcdf96e19562b8b0084d14e043e17e.png

The anomalies all remain solid and that should be reflected in the models and what they portray expect twists and turns on this ride folks!!! 

Edited by PiscesStar

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
30 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Stockholm?  Stockholm?  It’s not like anyone here would be going there ……

They'd never be able to get there when all the snow next week closes the airports and the North Sea freezes over.

• Like 5

Posted

The 12z ops have thrown a bit of a curve ball beyond day 8. It may go somewhat flatter beyond that but it’s still likely to be colder than average for days 9/10 even if it does. 

we have to wait to see if this breakdown to flatter produces a southerly jet at a latitude to keep an unknown portion of the U.K. in ‘proper winter’.  

And more importantly, it simply is far from resolved if we will go flatter as week 2 progresses. Onto the 00z suites !  (The AI models seem to be moving towards flatter too btw) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Next week looks messy, akin to early December 2008 or December 2020. It's a shame we don't look like getting some deeper cold later in on Tuesday... just not enough of an easterly flow.

I can't complain at this early point in the winter though and later next week still looks of interest.

Longer term is the risk of the heights to our NW waning and allowing an Atlantic influence to set in but it wasn't that long ago EC was suggesting mild weather at present with no northerly so it's still all up in the air at this point.

image.thumb.png.bff55efc4f7a93ef47352c6177849c85.png

The NOAA 8-14 day outlook is at least still showing anomalous heights to the NW

Edited by Derecho
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms

I can't see how the level of blocking Day 8+ can possibly be resolved whilst there is so much variation in the period before that, primarily the position, intensity, amount of phasing, of LWP, which has knock-on implications for the blocking beyond that.

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
10 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

EC46 has upgraded the cold anomaly 27th to 4th

image.thumb.png.24bcdf96e19562b8b0084d14e043e17e.png

Looks great in Stockholm 😉 even better for Dennis further west ill need 3 pairs of budgie smugglers to keep me from getting frost bite in unwanted places 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
20 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Not sure what model they used, and which version but the bbc just tweeting this weeks weather saying it could stay cold for 2 weeks 

Next Saturday below.

IMG_1417.png

And what about that snow-buildup over Russia and Scandinavia? That cannot be a bad thing. :santa-emoji:

• Like 2

Posted
34 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

People are commenting as if the writing is on the wall long term, where as this actual cold spell kind of appeared from a wrongly modelled northerly at about Day 5 - the cold is coming, and any breakdown being modelled beyond day 6-8 is just as likely to swing colder again!! 

Out of genrel interest why you think that is the case as I really hope your right of course ? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Ecm is fine! Learn how to read charts or don't comment 

ECE1-144 (8).gif

Yep, best way, been doing for years.