Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter is coming: Some early thoughts on Winter 2023/2024

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

I'm hoping for a milder than average winter, and an early spring .

My house is struggling to keep warm this Autumn for some reason,  maybe because everything is so damp after the cool wet summer. 

• Like 2

Posted
49 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

A mild December and January. Where's the Prozac 😔 

The milder the better as far as I'm concerned due to the high energy costs.

• Like 2

Posted

Winter is my favourite season and I only really participate on here Oct-Feb..to enjoy the relentless pursuit of cold ("get the cold locked in and the snow will follow") and interact on the model/regional discussions thread.  Generally we all get excited about a potential for 516dam, -16 850 uppers from a t+120 chart, and then it all falls apart the day before.  Rinse and repeat.  But it sure is fun! And on rare occasions, the chart does verify and we are caked in the white stuff.

A repeat of the chart below would be amazing, although highly unlikely!

Could contain:

Edited by jmp223
Typos
  • Like 5

Posted
19 minutes ago, jmp223 said:

Winter is my favourite season and I only really participate on here Oct-Feb..to enjoy the relentless pursuit of cold ("get the cold locked in and the snow will follow") and interact on the model/regional discussions thread.  Generally we all get excited about a potential for 516dam, -16 850 uppers from a t+120 chart, and then it all falls apart the day before.  Rinse and repeat.  But it sure is fun! And on rare occasions, the chart does verify and we are caked in the white stuff.

Could contain:

I doubt I will ever forget that chart I was on work experience in Croydon. The old slam door trains. It got stuck and the points froze wow so cold

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
4 hours ago, sorepaw1 said:

I'm hoping for a milder than average winter, and an early spring .

My house is struggling to keep warm this Autumn for some reason,  maybe because everything is so damp after the cool wet summer. 

mild winter and early spring is probably likely as things stand. I wouldn't rule out one or two cold snaps, I'm going with early January or around NYE.

I hope it stays dry if we get record mild. Mild in winter almost always means rain, rain and more rain. Mild to average with wall to wall sunshine would be perfect, and would give us plenty of cold nights with frosts too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Hoping for a cold and sunny winter with a couple of snow events and the odd storm thrown in.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
5 hours ago, jmp223 said:

Could contain:

Why is it highly unlikely? ..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow

The big kid in me wants a 1963 of course. Snowman building to begin Christmas Eve and end in February!! The sensible adult however thinks give me the mildest winter ever with a very early spring. Dreading the heating bills, i live in a house that confuses itself for a freezer! 

• Like 3

Posted
19 hours ago, Buzz said:

Definitely a benefit of a mild winter. 👍 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
19 hours ago, Jimmyh said:

I doubt I will ever forget that chart I was on work experience in Croydon. The old slam door trains. It got stuck and the points froze wow so cold

We were building some houses at the time. I can remember it being so cold that diesel froze in the tanks of the firms 7.5 ton lorries. The coldest I have ever been was in early  Jan 82,we were working near Bristol, and could only stand it for about half an hour at a time, and then we had to go inside and warm up. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

A distinctly dismal forecast, but not unexpected, as the El Nino winter from hell has been mentioned several times.

In a nutshell it seems like very mild and somewhat wet for Dec/Jan, then very wet and somewhat mild (though perhaps cold occasionally) for Feb, in this area. A winter to be "got through", by the sounds of it: a slog in which many of us will be counting the days to spring. Worrying echoes of recent "winters from hell" like 13/14, 15/16 or 19/20.

With a dismal July, August and - it seems - October overall, aside from the first 9 days, this threatens to become a very protracted period of disappointing weather if the forecast proves to be true. While March is not yet in the forecast, the 9 month period starting July will certainly be one of the most dismal 9 month periods for weather we've had.

Do we see any chance of a settled interlude before the winter pattern takes hold? Any chance of November providing a break of some kind?

It would certainly be unusual - though not unprecedented (see 19/20) - if unsettled weather sets in now and then doesn't relent until spring.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 16/10/2023 at 11:52, Buzz said:

Except lots of wet weather and moisture would necessitate heating to keep things dry.

We occasionally get very mild and dry (1988/89 being the obvious one) but more usually, very mild in Dec and Jan means endless damp. Only February realistically produces very mild but dry and sunny conditions.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The meto longer-term reads interesting for later November. I wonder if a November warming could be on the cards?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
8 minutes ago, jmp223 said:

510 dam lines over central/southern England isn't exactly a regular occurrence.

But they do happen.......

Posted
13 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Except lots of wet weather and moisture would necessitate heating to keep things dry.

We occasionally get very mild and dry (1988/89 being the obvious one) but more usually, very mild in Dec and Jan means endless damp. Only February realistically produces very mild but dry and sunny conditions.

Agree. Far easier to have a warm house in stable high pressure weather even if cold temps, even get solar gain. Wet and Windy at 8 to 10 degrees in January and 90% humidity is a lot harder to live with in my view.

• Like 1