Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms
28 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

The age old saying here.

The crowd are on the pitch they think it's all over!

Wo wo wo...get them off the pitch this is far from over!!!!!

Classic battle ground set up in the making! Amazing set up considering where we are meant to be heading....its early but this is becoming a strange one...

ECH1-240.gif

Like the Wolves v Spurs game when a few walked out at the 89th minute!, you never know what is around the corner.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

That could end up excruciatingly frustrating afterwards lol. 

ECH1-240 (7).gif

That would be my fear. A case of close but no cigar. I hope I am wrong. Let's just say  the coldest upper air did some how make it all the way across to England, what would the uppers be after modification from  travelling over the warmer sea? Did -20 upper air clip the south east of England in Janaury 1987?

Edited by Bricriu
  • Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I just stumbled across the ec46 control run from yesterday 

best not to go into too much detail apart from the 46 day snowfall totals 😂

image.thumb.png.7ca8847f69faa1411c91f86260a8a026.png

Imagine that happening , national disaster 😂😂😂 57 inches would do me though ⛄

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

The Scandinavian signal seems to be back. One thing I would add is not to worry about uppers or whether the cold is intense enough etc etc, at such a long way out, even  if it turns out to be correct, there no way of having any clue over correct positioning of cold air etc etc. If this trend persists I may be inclined to think the Scandinavian high would win the battle. There is a signal for extreme and widespread cold gathering across Russia and at the same time a marked lack of cold (at least comparatively) across the USA - aka Atlantic may not be firing on all its cylinders and blocks and cold air to our east could be stronger than marginal events in recent times (say January 2021 and even that delivered in the north). 

Also, there can be repeated bites of the cherry in patterns like these before we get it right the first time. Often it can lead to intense battleground scenarios and a mild couple days or a week can be a precursor to cold. I’m thinking two big examples: January 1947 and January 1996. Both saw the block win the battle eventually. A feeble Atlantic though could perhaps speed the process up a little bit. This fact has been played to death but mid-January 1947 had temperatures in the mid teens Celsius. 

Perhaps word salad, but interesting things to take into consideration.

And yes, always the chance it could all collapse and go super mild on us. Can’t say I’m biased now.  🤣 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

ECM 12z (top left) T+240h frame versus the machine learning models. The Google model (GraphCast) offers the most support, but is not looking quite as good as ECM.

image.thumb.png.25d42e755103043435c462c6a3cb8ebb.png

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

I hope this ECM run isn't a huge outlier and that it  is backed by the GFS pub run later. If it is a lot of people will be scratching their heads wondering how the models came to show this.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I do love model watching but after many years of doing so I’ve learned that Synoptics can and change at short notice don’t get hung up on every run 👍🏻

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Cms 

Oh, 57cm is clearly not enough 😤

• Like 3

Posted
30 minutes ago, Allseasons-Si said:

The low at 72 hrs is quite a bit further south than this morning comparing the 12z with the 00z fax charts for Sunday...

fax72s.thumb.gif.723ec8c1267f89070d71978fbfd41f1d.giffax84s.thumb.gif.dc5e858a3d6e47ffd2a0653656fe3425.gif

That shows the feature once it’s clearing south east so hard to judge how it crosses the UK. It also shows it more developed as a front rather than just a trough on the 0z.

Ah ignore this. I misread it 🤦

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM T240 mean:

IMG_7849.thumb.png.6563d0fbd517d7dd976e40923b88c70c.png

Hmmm…

Great support of the op, let’s see what the GFS throws out later !! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
3 minutes ago, fromey said:

In the 15 years I ve been on here I’ve never been so hooked, will it slide, won’t it slide, east a bit west a bit! All I can say to any newbie on here is sit back and enjoy the ride! 
this is the modern day Battle of Britain. 
thanks to all for your input, keep it up

3 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Good one NAM for things to come 

image.thumb.png.5781a5a7599b49f7d593383c2ce7c352.png

Can you explain this please I'd like to understand this fully ? Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Mmmmm...mogreps 12z.

You can see that we look good for cold out too day 6...Take a little look and the clustering goes up towards milder conditions...but towards end of the run we seem to have a little support for a colder theme again..classic signs of the models not necessarily being convinced of it going milder,and more so of how long it will last.

The plot thickens.

mogreps850london.png

mogreps850birmingham.png

mogreps850manchester.png

mogreps850norwich.png

Edited by MATTWOLVES 3
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1