Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
37 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I think you might be trying to have your cake and eat it here?  You’ve argued the ensembles are the right way to go week 2 and beyond, but with that comes the spread.  The BOM chart shown by @Downburst says it’s an ensemble of 33 members and they are all amplified.  So there is a difference - I’ll be much happier when the amplification into phase 7 is confirmed by other models, the BOM being the go to model all of a sudden has a whiff of cherry picking to me.

EC and GFS bias corrected forecasts all go for a weak phase 7 (within the COD)

image.thumb.png.3f6d9857ff48422609719d0da71cf121.pngimage.thumb.png.60985a3a2ed8528fd36e0a908f247a5b.png

We did have a decent phase 1 though in the later stages of November which corresponds to the following:

image.thumb.png.4dabc6a33082c0835f52a56a54ad7d85.png image.thumb.png.c67fdac70f36605cc4df4b2e8a45d2d0.png

Kinda looks like what we've had in the last week or so. However if we go through an amplified phase 4-6 and then a weak phase 7, the composites suggest...

image.thumb.png.e9f31d1d1606b99e14fcab90d165dc97.pngAmplified phase 4

image.thumb.png.570849603595194462a99d0489cf9af0.png Amplified phase 5 - yuk

image.thumb.png.df37068c718fecf10ce72058853a91d2.png Amplied phase 6 - nah

image.thumb.png.d1d40d14408715fb40ee58e97af087d6.png Weaker phase 7 - still mild

So I don't really hold much hope with the MJO composites here and presuming there is a lag time that would take us from now to late December with mild weather... if the MJO was an exact science.

Edited by Derecho
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
51 minutes ago, Downburst said:

The South Korean weather model has a 7 day warranty apparently, has ECM worried with their 5 day warranty.

What does this mean? I know what a warranty is obviously but not sure how that applies to weather models!

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

He’s making a joke ….

Evidently I need more coffee 😂

• Like 6

Posted

The amplitude of the MJO on the most recent plot is noticeably downgraded, could anyone explain what that would entail for NW Europe? A lesser chance of high latitude blocking I'd assume?

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

What does this mean? I know what a warranty is obviously but not sure how that applies to weather models!

South Korea's main car manufacturer is Kia and one of their main selling points when they first appeared on the scene was a 7 year warranty...

• Like 7

Posted
48 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I think you might be trying to have your cake and eat it here?  You’ve argued the ensembles are the right way to go week 2 and beyond, but with that comes the spread.  The BOM chart shown by @Downburst says it’s an ensemble of 33 members and they are all amplified.  So there is a difference - I’ll be much happier when the amplification into phase 7 is confirmed by other models, the BOM being the go to model all of a sudden has a whiff of cherry picking to me.

That’s fair on the basis that I like cake 

my main point on the 46 spread is that it has 101 members 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

That’s fair on the basis that I like cake 

my main point on the 46 spread is that it has 101 members 

I’m still not entirely clear why this matters, as I see it, the BOM spread with 33 members is nowhere near the spread of the ECM, even accounting for the fact that the latter has about 3 times the number of members.  

• Like 3

Posted

The Theta-E charts would indicate this high on GFS 6z would be a frosty one, so at least some seasonal, sunny weather would be nice if we can't have snow on the run up to Xmas.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
1 hour ago, Derecho said:

Hahaha that's a shame! It already looks very different to the UKMO at T168....

Is it better then the NAVGEM though? 😆

Never 😂

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

This is what we want to see...evolving further north as time goes on..

gfsnh-0-240(17).thumb.png.d90937938770f5dfca37e2e5dc063b96.png

gfsnh-12-240(3).thumb.png.2f140588c92fa052ca334a630fe281fe.png

...unfortunately it is outside the guarantee period...

Edited by minus10
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
25 minutes ago, Johnp said:

The Theta-E charts would indicate this high on GFS 6z would be a frosty one, so at least some seasonal, sunny weather would be nice if we can't have snow on the run up to Xmas.

Yes both immediately before the high is over the top of us (where it forms something of a weak Atlantic ridge very briefly) and during it being over the top of us - 

image.thumb.png.e4d681cd09460d2e8f23ae248979b09c.png
image.thumb.png.a97026c3438a9bbccc08e50b13bab278.png
image.thumb.png.18daea0a17a24ead673ca8b494be3061.png

Daytime temps also look on the cool side under this higher pressure

image.thumb.png.36ff3bc4ece100f97181aa7295e70ce5.png
image.thumb.png.28f9b31d5014de7af69e7fea1482d298.png

I'd therefore say at this stage, in terms of surface temps there appears little in the way of mild from around D7 onwards for the most part, into the following week.

• Like 6

Posted
41 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Sorry, a joke on the Korean "models" (car models) having 7 year warranties, which beat the likes of European cars (re ECM) with 3 to 5 year warranties and extrapolating to the NWP

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, Downburst said:

Sorry, a joke on the Korean "models" (car models) having 7 year warranties, which beat the likes of European cars (re ECM) with 3 to 5 year warranties and extrapolating to the NWP

Thanks, not a car person so it went straight over my head 😂

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Suffice it to say that FI GFS offers a significant difference 0z to 06z with the later offering a glimmer of hope for a longer term colder evolution.

GFSOPNH00_384_1.thumb.png.ed6678a0a6bcbe901c8d10ce6a6d9285.pngGFSOPNH06_378_1.thumb.png.90a5f879b1afb7498404a6f8eb29337d.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
1 minute ago, Blessed Weather said:

Plenty of discussions around the accuracy of models in forecasting the MJO. Here's another paper (in addition to the one posted on the previous page by Downburst) which identifies a known weakness of underestimating the amplitude of the MJO as it progresses across the Maritime Continent and Western Pacific:

"One of the greatest challenges in current dynamical forecast systems is the fast damping of the MJO signal as the forecast lead time increases, which results in a rapid decrease of forecast skill. This systematic damping of the MJO convection signal is particularly apparent when the MJO starts over the Indian Ocean and is expected to propagate through the Maritime Continent and move further into the western Pacific. The frequency of MJO events not crossing the Maritime Continent in forecast models is more than twice as large as it is in observations, known as the Maritime Continent prediction barrier."

Does this help explain the slump of amplitude in many of the RMM forecasts we are currently seeing? Here's the ECM Ensemble Extended Range marked as illustration:

MJOEMONto04Jan24.thumb.png.34904442901271c0ba0aa45f8d61c5dc.png

In the same paper the Average forecast errors by model (unfortunately no BOMM inclusion):

MJOAvFcasterrorsbymodel.thumb.webp.fe936448c5e89fd2e2a222f13ae7128e.webp

Source: Deep learning for bias correction of MJO prediction

I've put both papers into the Netweather Research Library where there's lots of other MJO papers.

Yup I've heard about this, the charts I posted have a bias correction applied to them but obviously in the long term that correction becomes more difficult as the uncertainty increases also. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

CFS on wetterzentrale leading to Christmas.

I don’t place much faith in it but it did ‘seem’ to pick out the late Nov cold well. 

IMG_3474.png

Edited by ScottSnow
  • Like 5