Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
5 minutes ago, Big Gally said:

6D2BEEB1-9824-45A7-8043-A91FF7F0B724.thumb.png.0e874087da69bf0e39b5b98cae02a800.pngAround the  27th 

All very wishy washy though. No ooompff! It won't deliver what most of us want. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Tell that to Russia, China, Korea, Mongolia, SE Asia, Japan, etc etc….NOT the thread 

BFTP

Sorry Fred. You always come across as a matter of fact. How many times have you been wrong on here.......

It was a reply on THIS thread about Iberian heights.

Edited by joggs
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
1 hour ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Tell that to Russia, China, Korea, Mongolia, SE Asia, Japan, etc etc….NOT the thread 

BFTP

I was replying to someone about the Iberian heights and I believe that climate change is the cause. It WAS on this thread. Also you replied in this thread.

• Like 4

Posted
33 minutes ago, Don said:

Wasn't it seeing the removal of Iberian heights earlier in yesterday's update?

As commented above, today’s run goes even later. There is run to run variance on this so wouldn’t take it all too literally. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

As commented above, today’s run goes even later. There is run to run variance on this so wouldn’t take it all too literally. 

Absolutely, but the fact that it's being delayed is not a good sign.

• Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, joggs said:

I was replying to someone about the Iberian heights and I believe that climate change is the cause. It WAS on this thread. Also you replied in this thread.

I've been thinking (and I'm sure others have too) that had this winter occurred 20 or 30 years ago, it would likely have been a straight forward cold season, with the pesky Iberian heights being less of an issue?

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Don said:

Absolutely, but the fact that it's being delayed is not a good sign.

That depends if you have any faith in the output post ssw 

of course if there is no reversal then the charts are standard ec46 fayre - which is week 3 to be noted and the rest is just a loose indication of where things may head 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
1 minute ago, Don said:

I've been thinking (and I'm sure others have too) that had this winter occurred 20 or 30 years ago, it would likely have been a straight forward cold season, with the pesky Iberian heights being less of an issue?

You would think so. The Hadley cell's got to be bigger than it was 30 years ago.

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

You would think so. The Hadley cell's got to be bigger than it was 30 years ago.

Exactly and as an example, I'm thinking we could have had a late December cold spell, similar to that in 2000, had the Iberian heights not been around this year, courtesy of smaller Hadley cells?

Edited by Don
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
3 minutes ago, Don said:

I agree. The weather this week would have likely been much colder then the muck we are getting atm. That cold air to our north would have pushed south. Nowadays stubborn hp to our south is like a bloody wall in the path of cold trying to reach us ( of course there can be other factors too ) but this week has been a perfect illustration of that imo.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

Jan 1958 such a big turn around in only 4 days. Imagine that happening nowadays.

From high pressure centred to our southwest to bang full on northerly.  While there still can be turn arounds of course they don't seem to be as often or as quick as before . 

a5abb630-e751-4930-9697-18e5bbfcefb3.webp

c55e19e8-e9a5-4fa8-8112-87ed8ac485c8.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

That’s quite a significant drop in temperatures from this morning. The 27th up here showed around 8 Celsius. Now it’s showing 2 Celsius at 1pm. Hopefully tomorrow run start heading into the minus. Wishful thinking.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Wow best I've seen yet more ensembles going further down on both GFS and CFS! Getting increasingly confident in a significant SSW!

u10serie_cfsRawCorrGefs (1).png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Kentspur said:

Wow best I've seen yet more ensembles going further down on both GFS and CFS! Getting increasingly confident in a significant SSW!

u10serie_cfsRawCorrGefs (1).png

But as I've heard before a ssw doesn't always mean cold in the uk..it's a break up of the vortex isn't it?it depends where the two decide to go

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
54 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

But as I've heard before a ssw doesn't always mean cold in the uk..it's a break up of the vortex isn't it?it depends where the two decide to go

Common knowledge on here mate on average its a 2/3 chance so the Met have mentioned in the past just gotta hope it falls right for us and we don't end up too far east or west of any high lat blocking set ups

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

UKMO staying with the possibility of some wintriness for Scotland and high ground for England but possibly a little sleet/snow for NE England.

image.thumb.png.3ce11bdc1ba8a4ef6eee3e29fc8a9b14.pngimage.thumb.png.ec79907f319832e6813fc8c7b3eed881.png

image.thumb.png.abca96998913d5c4fba8fecb217f2377.png

GFS still has the low much further N and the difference with UKMO by 168 is fairly stark.

image.thumb.png.a2b1c658513fffedbbe2a1e44044ba91.png

GEM is closer to the UKMO solution , ICON somewhere in the middle.

GFS Op doesn't offer much hope TBH, relentlessly wet and windy and the only remotely interesting thing on it is the strat warming.

GFS p25 is a very unlikely outlier sending the low into Spain/France, can't see ECM following that unfortunately.

image.thumb.png.a2790220a8fd5269ad22d35c783c3b92.pngimage.thumb.png.31d02933e75eecdf80e5b704460733ba.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted

The UKMO sticking with its low tracking ese with a chance of some snow on the northern flank for mainly higher ground .

The models have the same overall pattern but the detail for the UK is being complicated by the handling of shortwaves to the north and west .

Not sure I’d put too much faith in any solution at present. 

There’s a steep acceleration in zonal winds then a big drop and of course if there is a SSW previous history suggests the models make a drama until the reversal has happened and that’s in the actual starting conditions.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
On 21/12/2023 at 05:24, carinthian said:

Morning all. UKMO still have that troublesome Low in their extended model. A slightly slower movement this run but with a more southerly correction. Again , some sort of backing from the more aggressive GEM  this morning. No backing from GFS  at the moment. No sure where ECM will head ? . Quite a large snowfall across the Northern Pennines and Lakes District mountains based on that chart below  with freezing contours as low as 250m in parts of Northern England. Trouble brewing ?

C

UKMHDOPUK00_168_2 (1).png

Morning all. UKMO still ploughs on with its post Christmas Low across the North of England. Chart below indicates a couple of cold nights to follow. -10c at 18z  across the snow fields of the Southern Pennines  ! Um ? Hope their run stays the course as I am soon due over in Skipton for Christmas and then onto Stockholm for New Year ( hate mild and rain ) Not very nice on GFS showing quite a lot of rain and less cold towards the New Year. There can only be one outcome !!

C

UKMHDOPUK00_162_5.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

T144. Struggling to work that out.  Wedges are hard to model.

IMG_0469.png

IMG_0468.gif

IMG_0467.png

IMG_0472.png

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 1