Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Ecm starting to smell a different way forward at 216/240.

Edited by Chesil View
  • Like 2

Posted

Lobe of the vortex going walkies to the west with pressure rising behind over Greenland

BFFD79EB-A6C9-4C8D-8525-CFC436348340.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!

Merry Christmas to you all. Perhaps the first of hopefully many interesting ecm runs after what seems like an eternity being Scrooge. Perhaps, like Marley in the doorknob, the ridge building to the nw is the harbinger of change…

image.thumb.png.e85301815d14a8dfb25a59f13db1d7c1.png

This place is going to be buzzing soon. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
7 minutes ago, Alexis said:

Lobe of the vortex going walkies to the west with pressure rising behind over Greenland

BFFD79EB-A6C9-4C8D-8525-CFC436348340.jpeg

Yes it was evident at 144/168 hrs. Good move nhp wise by the ec be it fi, caveats etc 👍

Edited by swfc
  • Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Uncertainty said:

Merry Christmas to you all. Perhaps the first of hopefully many interesting ecm runs after what seems like an eternity being Scrooge. Perhaps, like Marley in the doorknob, the ridge building to the nw is the harbinger of change…

image.thumb.png.e85301815d14a8dfb25a59f13db1d7c1.png

This place is going to be buzzing soon. 

Slowly, Slowly Catchee Monkey, how often have we been here?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frost and thunderstorms
38 minutes ago, geordiekev said:

Netweather wins all the time. It really is an escape from the tribulations & the most fantastic friends group going.

Yeah, most of are hope casters but if you don't have hope what is there.

Merry Christmas to one & all and to see lots of different options on display truly is well timed ♥️❄️

This was last Boxing Day & plenty more years we ONLY just missed out.

Screenshot_20231225_183351_Gallery.jpg

Agreed - Merry Christmas all and I hope a peaceful and healthy New Year to all too. Thank you everyone for their contributions to this superb forum, it certainly helps me day to day. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Just spied this on twitter... interesting perspective

image.thumb.png.e1044219c50a083d06efb3c9edef9c85.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Let's be honest the models are all over the place , not two of them the same 

• Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, swfc said:

Yes it was evident at 144/168 hrs. Good move nhp wise by the ec be it fi, caveats etc 👍

Things are moving on just nicely! Timing from the huge uptick in AAM and then the heat up in the stratosphere is about to send this place into a frenzy! Timing wise it feels like so long we’ve seen things aligned to hit us right in the heart of winters coldest weeks! It’s this part that excites me! As good as March 18 etc were you can’t beat snow in mid January!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
5 minutes ago, johncam said:

Not at all. Maybe looking at wrong outputs?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
2 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Things are moving on just nicely! Timing from the huge uptick in AAM and then the heat up in the stratosphere is about to send this place into a frenzy! Timing wise it feels like so long we’ve seen things aligned to hit us right in the heart of winters coldest weeks! It’s this part that excites me! As good as March 18 etc were you can’t beat snow in mid January!

Yes pal outlook none to shabby unlike our football teams🙄Do you see the pv splitting at 10pha. 👍👍

• Like 1

Posted

Not buying any of this cold outlook yet. Good to see cold potential in the output rather than mild dross, but way too early to get excited.

A couple of weeks ago, the models were showing a cold Christmas, which rapidly disappeared as the time approached.

That Azores HP either needs to dissolve or get sucked north to increase my optimism.

• Like 6

Posted
15 minutes ago, johncam said:

It's the models trying to get to grip with the big pattern change about to happen, happens all the time!

Cold, blocked and real prospect for snow as we head through January! ❄️🥶

I've been saying this for days as have a fair few other experienced members on here, you would have to be blind not to see this.

People beating on the 'won't happen' or 'mild' drum simply because one of the key 3 models output is poor say the 00z ECM earlier, whilst the other 2 are good... Your are unlikely to get all free (GFS, ECM, UKMO) singing off the same hym sheet until around 144h even then can be too far out.

Can deny it all you like but the cold is coming mark my words 

images.jpg

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 7

Posted
13 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

It's the models trying to get to grip with the big pattern change about to happen, happens all the time!

Cold, blocked and real prospect for snow as we head through January! ❄️🥶

I've been saying this for days as have a fair few other experienced members on here, you would have to be blind not to see this.

People beating on the 'won't happen' or 'mild' drum simply because one of the key 3 models output is poor say the 00z ECM earlier, whilst the other 2 are good... Your are unlikely to get all free (GFS, ECM, UKMO) singing off the same hym sheet until around 144h even then can be too far out.

Can deny it all you like but the cold is coming mark my words 

images.jpg

It’s bitter experience that makes people bang upon the drum.

So many times in the past have cold spells failed to happen because one of the big three shows a milder outcome.

I’m not saying it’ll happen this time - but I wouldn’t be surprised either.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

The colder local pattern is established as early as day 10 on the 12z GEFS, that’s the 4th of January as the trough gets through to our east with a strong build in heights to the northwest, the 12z Christmas Day offering for day 10 much more clearly developed in this regard than the 12z Christmas Eve for day 11. Heights and T850s anomalies, yesterday…

0A805ED7-39E3-4B33-99CC-CEB75680E576.thumb.jpeg.cae608732c57d0bb81fb0f6d183e73e3.jpeg D1336F56-C853-4BB5-BCC3-B71BDBCB397F.thumb.jpeg.1f45465d794ad8c4ffe388c77013f6f8.jpeg

vs today…

9054C2F5-1431-4C7D-88E3-739817A01FE6.thumb.jpeg.7faef8a55a054a3408ea0bfd8029ef23.jpeg 86CB169D-1707-4CCE-8D5C-B9FE9CBA74DC.thumb.jpeg.19e17f16574a552a3bbfe2c2bec4b965.jpeg

The hemispheric pattern consolidates further thereafter. By day 14, there’s a pronounced Siberia - Scandinavia trough, low heights throughout Europe, and the whole continent is in the fridge. 

4BB587DE-7EFA-4710-A62C-4682AD7233ED.thumb.jpeg.53c5f15bcfcbbd432b36af40d05bf0bb.jpeg A95B4F71-EEFA-44E4-A1FF-E08B7FF35861.thumb.jpeg.233261228898ae43de0c5cdc33391a00.jpeg

Worth noting that going by today’s GEFS, these changes to a cold pattern are being described by a better defined setup - in that regard more clearly signalled to happen - and also to happen sooner.

It’s looking like the next few weeks will be compelling model viewing!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
56 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM already on the march towards a cold one at T240:

IMG_8150.thumb.png.967e7f9d85fb5f7aab3e8822fa038480.png

You can see the fault line already!

Well I am glad ECM is seen by some to be the most consistent 😜 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Djdazzle said:

So many times in the past have cold spells failed to happen because one of the big three shows a milder outcome.

What i can't understand this time though is the split SSW isn't even forecast until a good few days into Jan and so any FI blocking is still probably 2 or 3 days early, so its the writing off of it before the generic trop to surface modelling has even had chance to pick it up, not got a problem with calling it as it is. i will be the first one to call it a bust if it does bust but we aren't even close yet to that happening.

• Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

The bitter experience from model watching for me was next to zero snow from around 1997 all the way until 2009, That's 12 years with no more than a fleeting dusting or rain preceeded by couple hours snow. Since 2010 have had many good snowfalls below 100m. 

It is now very rare to have big model failures now when all big 3 are on board in a shortish time frame of 120h<.. I think models have been upgraded and improved over the last 2 decades.

The only thing I can think of is you have missed out locally?? I have noticed the South East in general not getting a lot of snow in recent years while I've had loads

Have the faith mate, your time will come.

And excellent post from Lorenzo BTW.

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 1