Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

Also can I ask is this eye candy as a result of the ssw? Seems a little early..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

ECM brings the Griceland High into play at 144. Just like GFS.

Edited by Chesil View
  • Like 2

Posted

So close on the ECM to something special..a few slider type scenarios that could bring us the white stuff..at day 9 the Atlantic is trying to come in..but I'm looking at some renewed heights building out west for day 10..potentially a cut off high developing around iceland/greenland

Edited by Lukesluckybunch
Spelling
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
35 minutes ago, Nick123 said:

Also can I ask is this eye candy as a result of the ssw? Seems a little early..

Not SSW - driven by tropospheric factors already in play.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Disagreement in the output, can’t work out how we are going to go cold.😄😄 

For me seeing ecm bought the biggest smile. T120 shows the start of pressure rise. 😄 Yep T120.👍 we are a long way from seeing small details but that can wait.

IMG_0544.png

IMG_0543.png

IMG_0545.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
7 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Not SSW - driven by tropospheric factors already in play.

Yes - the SSW is days away from happening yet, i understand the concept of a quick trop response but that would have to be a clairvoyant trop response!

• Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes - the SSW is days away from happening yet, i understand the concept of a quick trop response but that would have to be a clairvoyant trop response!

..and then we get the much anticipated SSW which knocks the pattern back to Mild! Merry Christmas :drunk-emoji:

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

ECM is cracking for snow in the midlands and south by the way. 

IMG_1953.png

IMG_1954.png

IMG_1955.png

IMG_1956.png

I think somewhere is going to get clobbered from one of these lows over the next week or so. I would prefer that on the ECM 2-300 miles further north 😉 but may be better for long term cold if the low(s) track further south. 

• Like 4

Posted
17 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

ECM is cracking for snow in the midlands and south by the way. 

IMG_1953.png

IMG_1954.png

IMG_1955.png

IMG_1956.png

Interesting but way too far out to take seriously.  The medium-term broadscale pattern from the ensemble suites suggests an atlanctic ridge days 10-12.  Let's see how that evolves.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

I think somewhere is going to get clobbered from one of these lows over the next week or so. I would prefer that on the ECM 2-300 miles further north 😉 but may be better for long term cold if the low(s) track further south. 

Yes those low tracks are essentially a marker for how much forcing is placed onto the jet . We often get this debate when we have shortwaves tracking into the UK .

It does become a bit IMBY related which is understandable given the scarcity of UK snow .

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, nick sussex said:

Yes those low tracks are essentially a marker for how much forcing is placed onto the jet . We often get this debate when we have shortwaves tracking into the UK .

It does become a bit IMBY related which is understandable given the scarcity of UK snow .

Yes and the weather can be cruel, it's usually the same area that gets hit over and over again.. While some places miss out altogether. 

If the turn of events to cold/blocked weather evolves from a set-up like the gfs 6z is showing I wouldn't be surprised if 2 or 3 lows dug in bringing snow on it's nothern side! The classic way would for each low to dig further and further south and east into the euro high. 

• Like 2

Posted

I think it's safe to say an excellent start to proceedings from the 3 key models this morning, I know ECM and UKMO aren't stellar like the GFS in FI but just looking at 144h they are all good and seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet! Only a day ago the potential was from 240h I have noticed a significant jump to 144h where we start to see real promise, so huge upgrades this morning IMO.

GFSOPEU00_144_1.png

ECMOPEU00_144_1.png

UKMHDOPEU00_144_1.png

All 3 show some kind of Block/Col developing in the Atlantic

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 8

Posted

Many more positive signs for cold across the 00 suite as we go into the New Year, but there’s still a significant amount of scatter on the GFS 00 ENS and the Op is again one of the coldest members later.

As ever more runs needed but for now the trend is our friend for the New Year….hopefully it’ll continue to improve after what’s been a ridiculously mild Christmas for many of us.

IMG_5695.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

A blend of - the American/European/ German London ones. Still scattered- yes… trending colder …..? - most definitely!. An interesting boxing 🥊 day of outs coming up? .. for sure .

25148B18-C576-4468-89AB-81567BF522DA.jpeg

395B38DD-FA29-44B5-BBB3-126C5D6BD592.jpeg

E376BA2B-9F5B-4316-A402-1D828EAD19FE.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

I know it's at the far end of of FI but we can dream as it's still Christmas. A Polar Low running down the spine of the country! 🤩🤩

GFSOPUK00_372_1.thumb.png.e63d51c96274a8888f93ecd90942d2cf.pngGFSOPUK00_378_1.thumb.png.a2c9022a1674e9b2e9c4eaa8d45bcd51.pngGFSOPUK00_384_1.thumb.png.1a0cf6be76a1d65bec8792497465e4c0.pngGFSOPUK00_384_25.thumb.png.3a7c379c23fba3d8d62c28392b7f7de7.pngGFSOPUK00_384_5.thumb.png.38b87b9cc05df0a351596fc75b536cc0.png

And not to mention the GEFS of course 🤪

ens_image.thumb.png.86e21f8464679f2d6ffe38663170576c.png

Edited by Purga
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Gfs 00z very reminiscent of   the winter of 1979 build up with northern blocking gradually pushing each successive Atlantic incursion further and further south. Interesting modelling this morning with ECM bringing the Griceland High scenario in to play as well.

• Like 6