Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, warm sunny days , gales in Autumn , frost in Winter .
1 hour ago, nettie said:

It's been a nice day here the sun did put in an appearance .  Off out this evening  going to the Hawk conservancy  for their Winter Woodland Lights evening  . Can't wait get to see displays with the owls.  

20240114_145442.jpg

That sounds fab Nettie , what aclovely way to finish the weekend 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

I booked it a couple of weeks ago and have been really looking forward to it.  Hurt my back this morning trying to get out of bed 😅  thats not going to stop me though . Owls here I come !  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Right I've just been in the mad thread. no one is ramping it. Most models still showing south. I'm now firmly back in the it isn't happening camp.

They aren't ramping it because most of the posters are too far north to be affected  🙄 😉

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I took apart the radiation shield plates and the fan to give it all a clean out. Absolutely filthy! I cleaned each component one piece at a time and laid it all out in order to make sure I put it all back correctly. My brain decided to go for a walk somewhere and I completely forgot how to put it back together lol

I spent like 20 minutes looking at it and not doing anything. I got it all back together in the end! It's not particularly difficult, but I just drew a blank.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Latest 12z modelling so far all indictive of any PPN midweek staying out in the channel (a la Red &/or Blue lines on my earlier map), so that scenario has certainly increased a bit in probability.

A pair of Binoculars on the end of Bournemouth pier might just enable some visible snow grains though?

Edited by AWD
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
9 minutes ago, AWD said:

Latest 12z modelling so far all indictive of any PPN midweek staying out in the channel (a la Red &/or Blue lines on my earlier map), so that scenario has certainly increased a bit in probability.

A pair of Binoculars on the end of Bournemouth pier might just enable some visible snow grains though?

Yep looks like it's over till the next cold spell now. 

• Like 3

Posted

What times the next run? Also is this completely dead in the water for us now?? Could it swing back again before Weds? Clutching at straws here as for once the Isle of Wight were in the sweet spot 😩🤦‍♀️ Thanks ☃️❄️

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, noggin said:

I am in awe of your self-restraint!😅❄️😅❄️😅❄️😅👍

Look how many years I've been on here. I've been burnt too many times 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Isleofwightsnowgal74 said:

What times the next run? Also is this completely dead in the water for us now?? Could it swing back again before Weds? Clutching at straws here as for once the Isle of Wight were in the sweet spot 😩🤦‍♀️ Thanks ☃️❄️

The only time it will be 100% dead in the water is when it’s actually happening & the radar says no!

Probabilities currently favour a “over the water & Northern France” affair currently though.

Edited by AWD
  • Like 1

Posted

It will snow.Pink dangling returned blue.No snow I will walk naked down Fordingbridge high St with only a strategic placed Frisbee to protect my modesty

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Isleofwightsnowgal74 said:

ECM run starts at 6pm.  Should know about 6.20. Never say never but you would be brave to bet against it staying in the channel. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

More runs needed…. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Well we managed a few minutes of sun here but it quickly clouded over again. 

Will be a real shame if we just miss out on Wednesday. Might even be able to see if from here if it's as close of a miss as some models suggest it could be 😫

• Like 2

Posted
51 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Look how many years I've been on here. I've been burnt too many times 

About the same length of time as me, then………..

Posted

I don’t know why people suddenly think this rain/snow on Tuesday/Wednesday is suddenly going to jump 100 miles north?!   It’s now 48 hours away and the models have pretty much cross model agreement that it’s going to cause very little impact to the UK, wishful thinking from a few on this site. 

• Like 1

Posted

Latest EC 12z Det does manage to give some light snow to extreme southern coastal areas, including the IOW.  Just enough there tonight to keep one eye on the radar for members in these locations come midweek.  

For me personally, a rogue flurry managing to make it over the Welsh Hills on Thursday/Friday is the best I can hope for, with regards to snow, before normal service resumes next weekend.

Not personally bothered though, looking forward to a week of dry, cold weather and much easier dog walks in the woods whilst Spring/Summer creep ever closer.  🌩️🌩️

• Like 2

Posted

ECM keeping the agony going as already mentioned by AWD. The system  brushing the coastline. The high resolution charts available in an hour or so will be interesting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
29 minutes ago, JimBob said:

I don’t know why people suddenly think this rain/snow on Tuesday/Wednesday is suddenly going to jump 100 miles north?!   It’s now 48 hours away and the models have pretty much cross model agreement that it’s going to cause very little impact to the UK, wishful thinking from a few on this site. 

Generally, in the world of weather 100 miles really isn't much! We've seen with Spanish Plume events for example, that despite cross model agreement things can be 50+ miles further east. Instances like Wednesday, where you've got a low sliding across N France is an incredibly delicate evolution, so I'd still expect to see some changes (good or bad). As @AWD says, it's not over until it's on radar, but that's just my hopeful weather nerd brain wanting snow 😄 

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It’s also worth noting that we don’t often follow LP systems or fronts so closely and delicately.  If this was an everyday rain bearing system we wouldn’t care if it was shown 50 miles north or south on subsequent model output.

How often have we gone outside for the day, expecting dry weather only to find it starts raining?  How often then do folk come on here saying “it’s raining, I thought the forecast was for a dry day today”?

Dont get me wrong, it’s extremely unlikely to make much roads inland now, midweek, modelling is in a rough agreement of a channel transition.  However, for the likes of those in Wareham, Romsey, Gosport, Winchester, Eastleigh, Bournemouth to name but a few, it would only need a marginal and much more possible adjustment for them to see snowfall.

Thankfully, my emotional connection with snow ended years ago when I found storms more interesting.  Otherwise I’d be one of those nutters losing my hair in the MAD thread and throwing toys everywhere, blaming everyone etc.

Oh , latest 15z UKV keeps with the theme (and for what it’s worth consistency) in keeping any PPN 5 miles south of Bournemouth pier!

Edited by AWD
  • Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, jy said:

It will snow.Pink dangling returned blue.No snow I will walk naked down Fordingbridge high St with only a strategic placed Frisbee to protect my modesty

BUT, you must post images as proof that you actually went through with it....

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, jy said:

Met Office RED warning post for Tuesday night

image.thumb.png.1c36057a64bd677bb52344b4f0f0b0ea.png

A Fordingbridge Dangler event predicted.

image.png.f2d1fffb650dd2c28f4748d612fcd277.png

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 4