Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

We had a few flakes between 10 and 10.30 but nothing since.  The heaviest ppn is too far North and anything that get further South fizzles out over the Pennines before it reaches here.

IMG_3362.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Up to 2.5c here now, rising quickly 

Radar type predicting sleet in some areas now. 

Don't think Rotherham will be seeing anything today. Slight chance later tonight and then last chance will be any snow showers on Thursday!

Hopefully areas further north can see something this afternoon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Crxp fest for me this event.

oh well.😂

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

And that’s it it’s going the sun is coming out 😂 can’t complain I suppose 😂

Posted
12 minutes ago, Aiden2012 said:

And that’s it it’s going the sun is coming out 😂 can’t complain I suppose 😂

maybe more for Pock this evening  Aiden

• Like 1

Posted

Low lying areas will soon have to wait for the colder uppers to flood back but just hope there'll be precip around.

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

Probably about 3cm here now, which is surprising given it is also Sunny, and rare to get any depth increase in the daytime. Likely to stay heavy until midnight here, although the one this evening is still forecast to be the heaviest for us. Going to be fun to find out the depth in the morning, assuming the warm area doesn't scupper it all.

North Yorkshire has a network of Cameras and Weather Stations along exposed main roads -

WWW.NORTHYORKS.GOV.UK

View pictures of road conditions across North Yorkshire from our weather station cameras.

You can view the cameras, but they annoyingly don't allow the weather station data to be public.

Edited by cowdog
  • Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, joggs said:

Low lying areas will soon have to wait for the colder uppers to flood back but just hope there'll be precip around.

The problem is according to the data it doesn't turn favorable until after midnight when most of the precipitation has gone or died.

Everything should be settling after 3am when it's bone dry.

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Definitely snowing in Goathland on the NY Moors, as per station webcam

Also snowing at Grosmont which is around 70m lower, and a few flurries here at the coast.

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

The problem is according to the data it doesn't turn favorable until after midnight when most of the precipitation has gone or died.

Everything should be settling after 3am when it's bone dry.

Oh well.

Looking to see if we get any shower activity over the next few days before the mild stormy weather returns😢

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

**** Met office website has it getting to -12C here tonight. The lowest we ever had here was -18C in 2009 (or 2010), so this is exceptional if it happens. Not made any preparations for those kinds of temperatures, as we were looking at it not being that bad tonight, and tomorrow night being the cold one.

Posted
15 minutes ago, joggs said:

Oh well.

Looking to see if we get any shower activity over the next few days before the mild stormy weather returns😢

Barring a miracle this will probably go down as my second most disappointing cold spell of all time! Especially with the weeks of hype.

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Barring a miracle this will probably go down as my second most disappointing cold spell of all time! Especially with the weeks of hype.

Many a cold spell seems to be tame when it finally does arrive, when viewing the models I only really get interested if it's showing -10 to -15 uppers from the northeast or east then expect something closer to -10 if it does arrive, so rare though. Unfortunately among all the hype that this was going to be an extended cold spell then don't worry only a mild blip, currently all I see is the azores high and euro high into Feb. Still time in Feb but who knows at this stage.

Some light flakes in the air here, so did manage a few flakes from this spell.

Edited by Matt Jones
  • Like 1

Posted

Looking dodgy on hills with even more coming in soon and temperatures starting to drop again:

North York Moors (A169 Pickering to Whitby has been closed)

12918?1705412865917

Dales

12923?1705413010373

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 4

Posted

The extent of the precipitation over the Dales was well modelled. 

We have had light snow on and off, gave a dusting around 11am but mostly melted now.   So frustrating for it to be so close to a winter wonderland, not unexpected though as no models showed us getting anything significant. 

• Insightful 1

Posted

All the hype over nothing if you have followed the models thread for the past couple of weeks ! Disappointed but always to be expected when chasing fantasy charts hopefully a lessons learned to members who get excited about a run ten days out. Looking forward to seeing the snow pictures in here for later in the lucky areas 👍

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Harsh Climate said:

Looking forward to spring tbh 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Just me or are those streamers setting up over South West Wales heading in our direction?

Posted
12 minutes ago, Rexx said:

Just me or are those streamers setting up over South West Wales heading in our direction?

Everything's gonna slide se with cold air return in the early hours I think. But precip looks like being sparse.

Posted

harmonieeur40-1-12-3.png?16-16

Maybe a dusting from the back edge as the favourable dew points return after midnight .......but there isn't much precipitation left by then

Edited by Jeremy Shockey
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Tim A said:

The extent of the precipitation over the Dales was well modelled. 

We have had light snow on and off, gave a dusting around 11am but mostly melted now.   So frustrating for it to be so close to a winter wonderland, not unexpected though as no models showed us getting anything significant. 

Yes very disappointing to see so much snow so near and yet so far. I've got a day off tomorrow I think a drive to the Dales is in order!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
3 hours ago, Harsh Climate said:

Has to be up there with one of the most overhyped events in many years this time last week people aree talking about ice days and - double digit temps it is currently 3c and all we have had is a tiny bit of dandruff. 

Those that hyped it up must be feeling a tad silly given the hype they were making out like we were going to see Beast from the east Mk2. 

• Like 2

Posted
57 minutes ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

Has to be up there with one of the most overhyped events in many years this time last week people aree talking about ice days and - double digit temps it is currently 3c and all we have had is a tiny bit of dandruff. 

Those that hyped it up must be feeling a tad silly given the hype they were making out like we were going to see Beast from the east Mk2. 

Yes and I heard comparisons of winter 1978/79 😂and that ''there would be many attacks on our blocking high which would be rebuffed.''

The first meaningful attack from the Atlantic this weekend, we end up with blow torch South Westerlies 🤣. Before that though patting themselves on the back and bigging up their wacky forecasting methods at 7 day+ GFS/ECM charts to suddenly disappear into the abyss 🤔lol

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 1