Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

SE, London and East Anglia Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 on

Posted

Temp now 1.8 slowly falling from a high of 1.9.

Hopefully the cloud will clear later to allow a frost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Another very cold night and day tomorrow to come, even without snow I’d keep this rather than what’s coming by Sunday - hopefully looking at this we will miss the worst of it ! 

IMG_7769.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Currently showers coming off the north sea towards Ipswich/ colchester.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Snowangel-MK said:

Another very cold night and day tomorrow to come, even without snow I’d keep this rather than what’s coming by Sunday - hopefully looking at this we will miss the worst of it ! 

IMG_7769.jpeg

Looks like the worst for the south east will be Monday. Very high winds according to icon and gfs 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

How ridiculous, I got slightly excited about this blob that is slightly near my town for about a second.
Screenshot2024-01-17at16_31_20.thumb.png.b25bb535ddba1ba497563ac0004719f8.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
10 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Looks like the worst for the south east will be Monday. Very high winds according to icon and gfs 

Yes, and I'm sure weirpig that lot won't stick all day at 5 miles out in the English Channel, hugging the coast line all the way from Cornwall!😨

Posted

Watching the showers come in from the NE now. If they can hold off for a couple of hours to give the DP to drop off again maybe we might see a flake or two. Some of the showers look pretty lively.

IMG_9245.thumb.jpeg.231fd97ca3680ca6879207e995d8fb96.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

We have light snow falling here at the moment, wasn't expecting it. Temp is 0.9c and DP is -1.2c

• Like 3

Posted

We may be in buisness ...

Posted
39 minutes ago, Challock Weather said:

Looks a possibility but they are doggedly adhering to the 12 mile limit currently 

I was looking at the wind direction in that corner with interest earlier..

Few little blobs are making it in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
8 hours ago, Snow tyre said:

So Marie is getting a bit in Brighton

*chuckles at reading that completely out of context* bad Vortex!

4 hours ago, throwoff said:

If we couldn't take the lows there wouldn't be many of us in the Priestfield!

8th in the table is pretty good for the gills. Can't see them going too far up though sadly. 

Looking forward to a little warmer this weekend to save on the heating bill admittedly. This windstorm for Sunday (?) makes a change but does make me ponder that it's so difficult to get snow, and even storms but wind and probably rain to come with it is the safest bet there is. 

Meto suggesting greater than normal likelihood of winds from the east leading to an increased chance, compared to normal, of cold spells.   And, as others have said the mad thread are looking for a scandi high too. A glimmer of hope? 

Posted
38 minutes ago, Snowangel-MK said:

IMG_7769.jpeg

Who knows, the met seem to forecast the opposite a week out with such confidence 🤣 why they don’t just wait until 48-72 hours before I don’t know. There were and still are, models showing strong winds across the board into London and S+E It’s like the fella telling everyone last week that it was most likely to see disruptive significant snow in the south, a week later, because our variety in ensembles, it didn’t happen. I can understand the high impact low risk side, but when the models aren’t in agreement why would they even highlight potential events a week before knowing full well it’s most likely subject to change. I can see that warning being extended eastwards, as per there normal adjustments.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

So the snow went into France, but hey.. Atleast there's some rain showers just off the coast of Kent 🤣

Clipboard02.jpg

Posted
14 minutes ago, Vortex3929 said:

*chuckles at reading that completely out of context* bad Vortex!

8th in the table is pretty good for the gills. Can't see them going too far up though sadly. 

Looking forward to a little warmer this weekend to save on the heating bill admittedly. This windstorm for Sunday (?) makes a change but does make me ponder that it's so difficult to get snow, and even storms but wind and probably rain to come with it is the safest bet there is. 

Meto suggesting greater than normal likelihood of winds from the east leading to an increased chance, compared to normal, of cold spells.   And, as others have said the mad thread are looking for a scandi high too. A glimmer of hope? 

Was it a good decision to sack Neil Harris

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
7 hours ago, NewEra21 said:

We really need a true easterly BFTE down here. Troughs embedded in the flow etc etc.

These northerly set ups and lows approaching from the SW rarely cut it nowadays. Cold enough and we can’t get any precip in, get the precip in and it will turn the wrong side of marginal. Very rare to hit the jackpot with sliding lows nowadays.

Absolutely agree with the above NewEra21, from 7 hours ago.

Below, are the 500hPa and 850hPa archive charts for 18z on 1st February 2009, as the most productive Thames Snow Streamer event that I've ever witnessed was about to begin.

image.png.172ef709401067cb6f0489b7d16f1d42.png / image.thumb.png.05a5a85e8aa897ae4d0632917fb49749.png

I had moved to Lee with my future Wife, a few Years earlier.

Back where I used to Live with my Children in Anerley, London SE20, this was the scene the following Morning. 

My Daughter's car was covered with a good few inches, and this was the scene from the road bridge over Anerley Station, looking N.

large.gallery_2739_1322_49929.jpg.83b0f60dd1cca6dbd37d4adcf499087a.jpg / large.gallery_2739_1518_154025.jpg.ea2a036ff2930cadf45a18397956f184.jpg

It was a very unusual Thames Snow Streamer event, in regard to the distribution of Snowfall.

For once the depth of Snow was more notable in some areas, such as Guildford, rather than locations further East and closer to the Thames Estuary/Southern North Sea.

I was working in Croydon [Surrey] at the time. Monday 2nd February was my Day off, and I couldn't believe the amount of Snow that was lying on the ground in Central Croydon,, on Tuesday 3rd February.

Below, is a Youtube clip of the scene in Central Croydon on Monday 2nd February, 2009:

Just found this Thread below, which I started way back in November 2014: 

UK "Snow Streamer" events. | Winter Weather Discussion (netweather.tv)

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍

image.png

Edited by Tom Quintavalle
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
51 minutes ago, Snowangel-MK said:

IMG_7769.jpeg

Problem is we miss the worst of everything!...this neck of the woods the weather becomes plainer and plainer other than if you like heat and humidity in the summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
15 minutes ago, Tom Quintavalle said:

Absolutely agree with the above NewEra21, from 7 hours ago.

Below, are the 500hPa and 850hPa archive charts for 18z on 1st February 2009, as the most productive Thames Snow Streamer event that I've ever witnessed was about to begin.

image.png.172ef709401067cb6f0489b7d16f1d42.png / image.thumb.png.05a5a85e8aa897ae4d0632917fb49749.png

I had moved to Lee with my future Wife, a few Years earlier.

Back where I used to Live with my Children in Anerley, London SE20, this was the scene the following Morning. 

My Daughter's car was covered with a good few inches, and this was the scene from the road bridge over Anerley Station, looking N.

large.gallery_2739_1322_49929.jpg.83b0f60dd1cca6dbd37d4adcf499087a.jpg / large.gallery_2739_1518_154025.jpg.ea2a036ff2930cadf45a18397956f184.jpg

It was a very unusual Thames Snow Streamer event, in regard to the distribution of Snowfall.

For once the depth of Snow was more notable in some areas, such as Guildford, rather than locations further East and closer to the Thames Estuary/Southern North Sea.

I was working in Croydon [Surrey] at the time. Monday 2nd February was my Day off, and I couldn't believe the amount of Snow that was lying on the ground in Central Croydon,, on Tuesday 3rd February.

Below, is a Youtube clip of the scene in Central Croydon on Monday 2nd February, 2009:

Just found this Thread below, which I started way back in November 2014: 

UK "Snow Streamer" events. | Winter Weather Discussion (netweather.tv)

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍

image.png

I remember it well, it was the wrong kind of snow for London, that is why the transport network went tights up 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Got showers of some sort approaching, probably rain by the sounds of things, will say what they are when they hit.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, alexisj9 said:

Got showers of some sort approaching, probably rain by the sounds of things, will say what they are when they hit.

Someone in Kent said it was light snow..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Yep rain must be a warm secoter 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

There's a few little blobs bubbling up around my ends as well.