Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Pia (DMI) Thursday 21st

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Early warning issued for Thursday

Overnight Wednesday into Thursday, strong west to northwesterly winds are likely to develop across a large swathe of the country.

Quite widely winds are expected to peak with gusts reaching 50-60 mph, however in some locations, such as exposed coastlines, plus over and to the east of high ground there is a chance that gusts of 70-80 mph may be seen in some populated places.

The exact areas and timing of the peak wind gusts speeds are yet to be fully determined, with a chance that this event could continue into Friday for some areas too.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2023-12-21&id=fac71e77-eb70-4a56-be27-48cd0a955fd0

Edited by Jo Farrow
Named by Danish Met
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
43 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

The exact areas and timing of the peak wind gusts speeds are yet to be fully determined

It's a question of who's going to Gerrit worse?! 👀

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Yes and will the met office name it or will be the Irish met office or somewhere else.

Certainly a rare spell of prolonged windy weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Surprised there’s not more interest in this. Met Office seem to be sitting on something as there are preparations ongoing now in Scotland for significant disruption to infrastructure over the next few days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Maybe the Norwegians will? Quite late here considering Christmas travel is looming. There are already (even more) issues for the west coast ferries to the Scottish Islands. The east coast rail line has already been hit with overhead wire issues in the past weeks, it seems vulnerable. Not ideal to mix with wild winds before such a busy weekend of travel.

Concerns for flooding around the North Sea with a surge  as the low moves by. Env Agency Thursday "possible (but not expected) that high tides or large waves will cause properties and roads to flood." east anglian coast.

"Local coastal/tidal and river flooding is possible in parts of the East of England from later Thursday until Saturday. Properties may flood and there may be travel disruption."

1219lowthurs00.png

1219lowthurs12.png

1219thursgerrietsurf.png

1219fri00low.png

• Like 2

Posted

The Danish met institute are talking about Storm Pia

'Current warning - next 48 hours Storm warning with hurricane force gusts A strong low pressure of 955 hPa is expected to move from the Norwegian Sea to the Oslofjord and on to Sweden on Thursday. A storm warning has been issued, and the storm has been named Pia.

on Thursday evening Denmark's north-west coasts will experience stormy gales with hurricane-force gusts.'

1220dmipia.png

• Like 2

Posted

https://www.dmi.dk/meteorologens-kommentar

DMI Storm Pia 'On Wednesday morning, a low pressure is located just east of Iceland, and continues to the southeast with rapid speed and development. It is expected to pass just north of the Faroe Islands this evening and then set course for southern Norway under further development. The associated drizzling rain will not pass Denmark until Thursday and will be followed by significantly increasing winds. On Thursday afternoon and evening, the wind is expected to reach gale force winds from the west and north-west, even stronger on the coasts. Along the west coast of Jutland, the wind is expected to reach storm force in medium winds, with gusts of hurricane force, and later on Thursday evening the same applies to the coasts of Kattagat, Little Belt, Great Belt and the western part of the Baltic Sea. The strong wind will continue overnight into Friday, when it will only slowly subside. Friday will thus also be a very windy day, before the wind subsides and Saturday, Christmas Eve, can offer smooth to strong winds in most places.'

2012piadmilow.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Certainly going to be a wild day for many.

Untitled.thumb.png.1b1634b36c5bb3c224f9d5d20ef32dc7.png

• Like 2

Posted

Not too bad I hope. Have disliked Wind since '87 and again in '91 when a gust actually lifted my Car whilst I was at "Charlie Brown's Roundabout", 

It then tore the roof off the local Telephone exchange.

Be careful tomorrow, it's far more dangerous during the day.

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, cj114 said:

Not too bad I hope. Have disliked Wind since '87 and again in '91 when a gust actually lifted my Car whilst I was at "Charlie Brown's Roundabout", 

It then tore the roof off the local Telephone exchange.

Be careful tomorrow, it's far more dangerous during the day.

Indeed. Today is my last day commuting so hopefully I will avoid the worst of it (although I think I'm on the periphery of the warning area in any case)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Well I’m glad that Denmark is taking it seriously enough, just a shame the the UK Met Office - and the last I checked Scotland is still part of the UK - don’t seem especially interested.

This is a very bizarre response given that many organisations responsible for infrastructure in Scotland are pretty much on high alert over the next few days. Surely they’re not overplaying it?You’d think the met office would also play a part in warning the public.

If a storm was going to bring winds of upto 80mph to England, you could be sure they’d have named it. I can see an inquest being held in a few days time over this.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way

This required a second read and validation against the 06z Fax Charts

image.thumb.png.24d037fe62e40ae9998a52d461975e46.png

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Well I’m glad that Denmark is taking it seriously enough, just a shame the the UK Met Office - and the last I checked Scotland is still part of the UK - don’t seem especially interested.

This is a very bizarre response given that many organisations responsible for infrastructure in Scotland are pretty much on high alert over the next few days. Surely they’re not overplaying it?You’d think the met office would also play a part in warning the public.

If a storm was going to bring winds of upto 80mph to England, you could be sure they’d have named it. I can see an inquest being held in a few days time over this.

There does appear to be a "bias" towards England / Wales in that regard 😒,   even here on the Netweather Community, looking at the number of topic pages and responses to the recent named Storms ,   noting Storm Ciaran - 68 Pages , Debi made 5 Pages

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

To be fair that's mostly down to the fact that there are more southern members. How many active Scottish members do we have... 20 - 30 maybe? 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Ross90 said:

To be fair that's mostly down to the fact that there are more southern members. How many active Scottish members do we have... 20 - 30 maybe? 

Yes of course that would be the case mate .. I did n't want to state the obvious 

Posted
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Thursday 21st will be a very windy day with storm force winds possible for the far north of Scotland. Travel disruption is forecast with coastal issues from the low pressure named Pia.

• Like 1

Posted

The Met Office twitter account has still not mentioned Storm Pia (even though it was named by DMI)

if naming a storm is left for the country who will see most impacts, I don't see why the UK< which will still be impacted (and more than that widespread yellow suggests) doesn't get to hear about it. Given the time of year, the impacts are higher and highlighting the message, even more so

1220surge.png

1220metwoalrm.png

2012ukvgif.gif

• Like 2

Posted
38 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

I did compare the Shetland forecast with Leicester in my Front page blog today, as both are covered by the same Yellow wind warning, very likely/Low impacts. That is not the case for the Islands, even Peterhead end of Aberdeenshire

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
34 minutes ago, StingJet said:

There does appear to be a "bias" towards England / Wales in that regard 😒,   even here on the Netweather Community, looking at the number of topic pages and responses to the recent named Storms ,   noting Storm Ciaran - 68 Pages , Debi made 5 Pages

Tbf most of the Ciaran posts are what storm, unfortunately, and then there's what happened in the channel islands, which was very bad, not much about the places in England that did get hit re Cornwall, back end of storm and the SE corner, below London.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted

Current wind warning for Thursday from Midlands up to Shetland - Low impacts

Really don't feel that is representative

1220matrix.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Jo Farrow said:

Current wind warning for Thursday from Midlands up to Shetland - Low impacts

Really don't feel that is representative

1220matrix.png

Yeah makes no sense. It is going to be high winds all day including morning rush hour and the daytime when people are out and about. There will be impacts in some built-up places.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, warm sunny days , gales in Autumn , frost in Winter .

According to the BBC weather app in my region (West/ SouthWest) England there are a good few hours of 45- 50 mile an hour gusts.  Not sure where they got that from but there we are.  

Stay safe everyone , even if the met o isn't taking it too seriously . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
35 minutes ago, ManiaMuse said:

Yeah makes no sense. It is going to be high winds all day including morning rush hour and the daytime when people are out and about. There will be impacts in some built-up places.

Is alright there's only a few cart horses and sheep up north so there won't be much of an impact. 

Local forecast for today has us peaking at 31 mph for today and we are hitting 40mph normally they are pretty spot on so the predicted 51 mph peak tomorrow is going to be interesting too see what we do actually get.