Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Pia (DMI) Thursday 21st

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Winds have now dropped off a lot thankfully.

As soonas I type back to 60mph.

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Tree's down everywhere here at my location with lots of roads and local lanes blocked, gust touching 80mph..

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
Just now, Polar Maritime said:

Tree's down everywhere here at my location with lots of roads and local lanes blocked, gust touching 80mph..

Wherez the red warning folks

• Thanks 1

Posted

I only cottoned on to this last night around midnight when I heard the wind howling. I'd been keeping an eye on things via earth nullschool so I expected a windy spell. I see this morning that the BBC has finally mentioned it, but only to let us know that it's already causing disruption. Um... we know that part, we can see it and their report 34 minutes ago, around 8 am was no use to me when I was out at 3am this morning securing various things down. It's not even a nowcast, it's a postcast. Not everyone is a weather nerd.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Seemed to peak around 5-6am here with max gusts in the low 50s. Pretty much exactly what was forecast and other than a few bins blown over not much disruption or damage, in this area anyway.

• Like 1

Must say it's very poor from the Met Office, low impact on the matrix?? They need to look at the chaos around here this morning. Even some schools shut due to the stormy winds. Peak gust here of 72MPH is the highest I've had ever since I've been here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
10 minutes ago, Tidal Wave said:

Must say it's very poor from the Met Office, low impact on the matrix?? They need to look at the chaos around here this morning. Even some schools shut due to the stormy winds. Peak gust here of 72MPH is the highest I've had ever since I've been here!

Bit of a storm in a t,cup here! It would be a lovely Winters day if it weren't for the wind . Currently 13c here....☺

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A mean speed of 47 mph and a gust of 82 mph recorded at 340 mts a.s.l here. half an hour ago. It was a job to stay upright!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Seems like some areas of the peak district may have been exposed to lee winds?

• Like 1

Posted

BBC began a "Live" coverage of Pia on their web site. It began at 9.13 this morning. Travel is being advised against, not because of any Met Office warning but because of the impacts which have already happened. Pia is sitting just of the west coast of Norway,funneling NW winds down the North Sea. Complicating this is a system in the Atlantic with winds adding to the Pia winds. Screenshot2023-12-21at10_02_33.thumb.png.fa7d30dcd1ac08b3a916f454ae2acb42.png

Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 10.04.27.png

Edited by Fiona Robertson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
3 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

BBC began a "Live" coverage of Pia on their web site. It began at 9.13 this morning. Travel is being advised against, not because of any Met Office warning but because of the impacts which have already happened. Pia is sitting just of the west coast of Norway,funneling NW winds down the North Sea. Complicating this is a system in the Atlantic with winds adding to the Pia winds. Screenshot2023-12-21at10_02_33.thumb.png.fa7d30dcd1ac08b3a916f454ae2acb42.png

Quite a push of water as well, into the swallowing North Sea which is why Denmark has amber and red coastal surge warnings. Netherlands has surge warnings too. East Anglia has medium risk of flooding today with high river levels coming up against the higher tide levels

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Manchester airport is trending on twitter for the landings in high gusts 

• Like 6

Posted
35 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

Manchester airport is trending on twitter for the landings in high gusts 

Nope! Just nope... nope nope nope...nope! The one-wheeled landing... nope, the sudden nose down on approach... nope.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Just over 18K without power according to the poweroutage.com site

POWEROUTAGE.COM

PowerOutage.com is an ongoing project created to track, record, and aggregate power outages across the world.

• Insightful 1

Posted

Think the media (BBC) had been mentioning potential stong winds with a mean of upto 50mph and gusts to 80mph since Mon / Tues and it certainly linked the met office warning to their forecasts. No real excuse for getting caught out..Mrs says it's a tad windy in Ayrshire but nothing out of the norm and here in coastal Essex just a stiff breeze. I delayed my drive back to Ayrshire till tomorrow and instead of today as it would involve driving thru some very exposed areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
7 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

Something wrong with the warning matrix.This is what I get when I hover over the red warning. Every single column is "low impact".

Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 11.39.10.png

Hi Fiona , hovering over any of the matrix squares will just report the current warning in place .. the "ticked" one 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Fiona Robertson said:

Yes quite a noteworthy pressure differential between the ridged Azores High to the SW and Pia

Edited by StingJet
  • Like 1

Posted

11 hrs ago the BBC ran a story on their N. Ireland page, said Pia was moving in from the Atlantic. I don't live in N Ireland, neither do the peeps in Scotland, England or Wales. The blurb with the story was confusing. For example it says;

"Named by the Danish met office, Pia is forecast to bring the strongest winds towards the north coast."

Would that be the north coast of Denmark or the north coast of N.Ireland?

I usually find it easy navigating my way through weather warnings, but this time it's been a nightmare. The Met Office warning page gets stuck, I can't navigate back from it, the warnings themselves, and even the map, don't appear until the third click or refresh, the text which pops up when you hover over the matrix is confusing, seems it only refers to where the check mark is, rather than the square you're hovering over.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

115mph is the current top gust at Cairngorm Summit

😊  I cannot recall a recent week where CGS has not recorded 100mph+ , probably one of the most windiest places on earth 

Edited by StingJet