Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
19 minutes ago, Martz86 said:

It would be nice to have a model group just for those that know what their talking about, reading through this one is very confusing, shame really as I quite like reading the knowledgeable posts but it's becoming tedious filtering through it all. 

Model highlights thread shows only the most informative posts based on reactions.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
Just now, Chrisover93 said:

What are your thoughts in terms southern coastal counties in terms of lows bumping into cold air will it all fall as rain 

and I agree GFS is actually ending it before it gets going with progressive lows 

It's far too early to look at that kind of detail, the polar boundary will still be shifting 100-200 miles across varying runs & modelling until we start getting to much shorter lead times. 

The risk is there but naturally the further south you are the more likely you are to see transient snow events vs all snow events, that's just the way it often goes. A decent channel/N France runner though could deliver even to the south coast so.. in short, potentially, but also potentially not.

• Like 4

Posted

I've just looked through the GEFS at 216 hours.

There are some stonkers in amongst them. The 00Z GEFS were dreadful but this set is much better around that timescale.

This is going to be an extremely tight run thing. A difference of a couple of hundred miles in the pattern is going to have very big ramifications.  

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, Battleground Snow said:

I think to stop us going mad, it's better to just look at ukmo and ecm up to 144 at the moment, doesn't seem to  swing wildly from run to run

That's a brave call re the ECM following this week's colder uppers and snowfall fiasco with the ECM

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Met4Cast said:

It's far too early to look at that kind of detail, the polar boundary will still be shifting 100-200 miles across varying runs & modelling until we start getting to much shorter lead times. 

The risk is there but naturally the further south you are the more likely you are to see transient snow events vs all snow events, that's just the way it often goes. A decent channel/N France runner though could deliver even to the south coast so.. in short, potentially, but also potentially not.

For an experienced forecaster like yourself I’m still learning things but what do you see the scenario looking like for your next experience?

Posted
1 minute ago, Met4Cast said:

It's also often though not always the case that these lows end up further south than initially modelled, so if anything those in the south would almost want lows to be modelled fairly far north this far out.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Bit of a concerted trend towards warmer 850s after the 15th. Control a bit of a stinker

Screenshot_20240109_113057_Chrome.jpg

Edited by jmp223
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

I can't see the point tbh mate..its only valid if you log in..you can still read everyone's posts when not logged in. And tbh it's good to hear those that lose there heads every second of the day as it brightens up my rather sad life 🤣

Long time lurker on here, with the odd Post thrown in, but I always like your posts Matt, always seem sensible, balanced and on point.

I know nothing about models so it's good to hear from the sad person as we chase and chase the white gold, keep it up mate.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

I can't see the point tbh mate..its only valid if you log in..you can still read everyone's posts when not logged in. And tbh it's good to hear those that lose there heads every second of the day as it brightens up my rather sad life 🤣

Also blocked posters still pop up in quoted posts...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

6z mean is an upgrade at day 10

image.thumb.png.d6cd7560f28d253b00cb5ac1405ccab2.png

Looks slidey and full of snow opportunities 👌

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

6z mean is an upgrade at day 10

image.thumb.png.d6cd7560f28d253b00cb5ac1405ccab2.png

image.thumb.png.b5cb21fcdaebe4a7a8daf3d03d3bfbb7.png

Is it? The Atlantic LP is closer to the UK

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
5 minutes ago, Chrisover93 said:

For an experienced forecaster like yourself I’m still learning things but what do you see the scenario looking like for your next experience?

These lows tend to trend further south so I would expect models to occasionally barrel them through and bring in mild weather quickly but the reality will likely be a much slower transition. I.E more than 1 attempt to bring in milder weather with the potential for multiple snow events. Again though, where that boundary lies wont be known for a while.

It's possible northern areas will remain in cold air throughout (mentioned this in the above quoted tweet)

5 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

It's also often though not always the case that these lows end up further south than initially modelled, so if anything those in the south would almost want lows to be modelled fairly far north this far out.

Indeed! Fully expecting that which is why I'm not entirely buying the modelling around the 17th at the moment bringing those lows in, suspect it'll be more delayed than that. (though, it doesn't ALWAYS trend south as you say, not something we can 100% rely on!)

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

The forecast deep pool of cold over North America invariably fires up the jetstream and allows for rapid movement across the Atlantic as seen in the GEFS mean. The only positive is that the jetstream isn't aimed right at us but carrying systems more toward western france, which sets up the potential for some parts of UK to be on the right side of sliding lows. Whether there will be enough of a colder airmass to the north of these sliders to produce snow here is another matter.

gfsnh-5-246.png

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

3 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

These lows tend to trend further south so I would expect models to occasionally barrel them through and bring in mild weather quickly but the reality will likely be a much slower transition. I.E more than 1 attempt to bring in milder weather with the potential for multiple snow events. Again though, where that boundary lies wont be known for a while.

It's possible northern areas will remain in cold air throughout (mentioned this in the above quoted tweet)

Indeed! Fully expecting that which is why I'm not entirely buying the modelling around the 17th at the moment bringing those lows in, suspect it'll be more delayed than that. (though, it doesn't ALWAYS trend south as you say, not something we can 100% rely on!)

Thank you really informative never go wrong when asking you question 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, jmp223 said:

Bit of a concerted trend towards warmer 850s after the 15th. Control a bit of a stinker

Screenshot_20240109_113057_Chrome.jpg

Both the operational and control are above the mean as soon as we hit the unreliable.

Posted
6 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

Is it? The Atlantic LP is closer to the UK

Day 11 was a disappointment it looked better at 10 I thought..

image.thumb.png.2b9360807491d7cb772035fbc889e7f0.png

image.thumb.png.d6a82141dd0cf4f24f63da1a91c13eb3.png

more slidey perhaps..?

day 12 

• Like 2

Posted

GEFS and EPS still solid up to day 10. I wouldn't be worried with the GFS outcomes atm, look how much they differ to the mean with it being a major outlier. Meanwhile, ECM op and control closely resembles the mean. Solid agreement with the EPS, along with an encouraging UKMO 0z is much favoured imo.  

image.thumb.png.c7fdc8b1c06447a699cfd3f9758632dd.png  image.thumb.png.2023c82d718daaeb2e5d77f26b15fdd6.png

image.thumb.png.81766bd4c34752d0e6d57b345f34a959.png 

• Like 2

Posted

I suspect t the Exeter update will reveal if they are going with GFS/GEM V UKMO /EC..

I'd suggest the envelope for the sweet spot is  somewhere around the Scottish Borders to Birmingham as it stands - 

That might move north or south as the envelope narrows ..

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Mark Bayley said:

Not often i comment in the model thread in recent years, but having been here for nearly 17 years experience has suggested more often than not these lows track south (and the GFS tends to over blow them / track too far north), and it is usually the second or third attempt that makes in inroads north. That's potentially the best scenario for the UK as a whole, with battle ground snow to the south, snow showers to north. Sadly someone will always miss out, but this scenario offers the greatest widespread snow potential. Will be intriguing to see how this evolves over the coming days!

The lows will eventually get through but suspect it will be a relatively short period before back to cold. So, probably slightly below average Jan and I'm gagging for Feb to come 😅