Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

Typical, it sounds like dull, damp, dreary, dismal, SAD-inducing tripe returns in around a week's time, just as I return to the UK!

At least I have escaped the dull and damp for three weeks while being abroad (Greece) but it's going to be a nasty shock coming back to all-day twilight, low clouds and endless rain and drizzle when I come back in a week's time. The light here is much better even when it's cloudy, so it's going to be difficult to adjust to the low light levels. Last time I went away in the winter I returned during January 2022 and the fine weather considerably mitigated things. No such luck this time, it appears.

And doubly so given that the weather in the previous two weeks over the UK looks like it will have been decent. Can't believe my bad luck in returning to more of the same tripe that dominated most of summer and almost all of autumn and December. I missed September's heatwave and I'll have missed this settled spell - so the vast majority of weather I'll have experienced in the UK from Sep to Jan inclusive will have been poor!

And yet another wetter than average month - the seventh on the trot - by the looks of things, thanks to the extremely wet first 4 days and likely wet final 10 days or so. Probably yet another milder than average January too, as the first 4 days and final 10 days are likely to be more extremely mild than the moderate cold of the intervening period. Renewed mild and wet of course brings back the risk of flooding. We badly need a prolonged dry spell soon, if spring is also wet it could be a really major crisis.

Ah well, at least only around 6 weeks to meteorological spring by the time I get back, and hopefully March will be better than last year. At least the nights aren't still drawing in, which is something. Perhaps March will be the month to break the run of consecutive wet months.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
6 hours ago, Lord Baltimore said:

Another week of winter then Spring appears to be on its way down south. 

Not sure about spring, more like winding the clock back to late autumn, at least from the 20th onwards.

Mild, wet and stormy does not equal spring. And dull, damp anticyclonic SW-lies (which follow the cyclonic spell on the GFS) don't equal spring either.

Far more important than temperature in making it feel spring-like is low humidity, strong sunlight and not overly-early sunsets. You can get that (in February, at least) even if it's fairly cold. Mild, dull, wet and windy is stereotypical late autumn weather.

GFS 00z and 06z offering a horrible mix of extremely wet and windy weather from around the 20th and (after that) a pressure rise but accompanied by doubtless gloomy and SAD-inducing SW-lies, which is almost as bad as the cyclonic stuff - less wet but probably equally as gloomy and oppressively mild and humid.

And arguably, excessively mild days so very early in the year could be damaging in that they could cause spring flowers to come up too early, rather than in proper spring - I always think that excessively mild early/mid winters are bad not just in themselves, but for the bad effect they have on the following spring in making nature go out of sync and adversely impacting one's enjoyment of spring flowering when it should happen - in March, April and May.

Still, this is all the contemporary UK climate I guess. Bland and dreary dominate most UK summers and winters these days.

Sorry for the long moan, but been off the forum the past few days and was hoping to return to the UK to enjoy some half-decent winter weather for once but instead the final third of the month looks just atrocious.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
6 hours ago, Bristawl Si said:

Good to see the HP lurking to our South.

Temps along Spain's Costa del Sol forecast to hit 22c over next couple of days, the Canaries 25/26c.

If the HP pushes North we could be lucky and get a few 12/13c days in a week's time or so. Hopefully a dry, balmy south westerly.

Not sure that a southwesterly can ever produce particularly pleasant weather this time of year though, at least if bright weather with low humidity is what you're after. At best it'll be gloomy stratus overcast and at worst, very wet.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

With the wall-to-wall sunshine next week, I wouldnt be surprised if this is the third consecutive very sunny January. Hopefully this doesnt jinx a horrible February or an awful January 2025

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

No thanks. 🤮

I will of course be wanting spring weather come early to mid March, but despite what many on here seem to believe, whilst being able to give us spring-like conditions February still isn't a spring month. It is a winter month just as much as August is a summer month. Not a fan of unseasonal months personally, whatever the time of year. 

I do appreciate that I am probably in a minority. 😁

I’d probably agree if our winters weren’t so depressing and useless. Since proper winter conditions are increasingly rare, I’d rather have spring-like weather instead. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, cheese said:

I’d probably agree if our winters weren’t so depressing and useless. Since proper winter conditions are increasingly rare, I’d rather have spring-like weather instead. 

Yes and me, but many want wind and rain

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
11 hours ago, SLEETY said:

Writing off the entire winter because the op runs bring in the Atlantic mid january🤣 

How does ‘into February’ write off the next 6-7 weeks?

Edited by Cheshire Freeze
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
9 hours ago, cyclonic happiness said:

The south east had a dumping over a week ago, my sister was in London and texted about the snow.

I got excited here at the same time, as we'd just had a light ground frost 😕

The central Midlands is the least snowy place in the UK, even Cornwall gets more than us!!

I must've missed it whilst I was in the toilet!

Jokes aside, was this in certain localised parts of London? I didn't see a single flake and I work in the city, and live in East London / Essex.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, baddie said:

With the wall-to-wall sunshine next week, I wouldnt be surprised if this is the third consecutive very sunny January. Hopefully this doesnt jinx a horrible February or an awful January 2025

Mind you (not sure, been out of the country) wasn't the first 5 days cloudy (apart from some sunshine until mid morning on New Years Day) and haven't the last few days also been cloudy?

Also a risk from the models that the last 10 days could be distinctly cloudy, particularly the 20th-25th.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

In the old days we had snow from September to April my dad use to say when he did his rounds 😢

Screenshot_20240113_161539_Facebook.jpg

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Mind you (not sure, been out of the country) wasn't the first 5 days cloudy (apart from some sunshine until mid morning on New Years Day) and haven't the last few days also been cloudy?

Also a risk from the models that the last 10 days could be distinctly cloudy, particularly the 20th-25th.

Im at 23 hours as of today, and with the next working week (15th-19th) being very sunny, I could already reach average by the 19th (58 hours in my location)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

This seems like a huge downgrade given that we've supposedly got the all the right background signals for a cold winter.

Posted
3 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

I must've missed it whilst I was in the toilet!

Jokes aside, was this in certain localised parts of London? I didn't see a single flake and I work in the city, and live in East London / Essex.

N and SE London also no snow apart from a few flurries on Monday.

Posted
7 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Typical, it sounds like dull, damp, dreary, dismal, SAD-inducing tripe returns in around a week's time, just as I return to the UK!

At least I have escaped the dull and damp for three weeks while being abroad (Greece) but it's going to be a nasty shock coming back to all-day twilight, low clouds and endless rain and drizzle when I come back in a week's time. The light here is much better even when it's cloudy, so it's going to be difficult to adjust to the low light levels. Last time I went away in the winter I returned during January 2022 and the fine weather considerably mitigated things. No such luck this time, it appears.

And doubly so given that the weather in the previous two weeks over the UK looks like it will have been decent. Can't believe my bad luck in returning to more of the same tripe that dominated most of summer and almost all of autumn and December. I missed September's heatwave and I'll have missed this settled spell - so the vast majority of weather I'll have experienced in the UK from Sep to Jan inclusive will have been poor!

And yet another wetter than average month - the seventh on the trot - by the looks of things, thanks to the extremely wet first 4 days and likely wet final 10 days or so. Probably yet another milder than average January too, as the first 4 days and final 10 days are likely to be more extremely mild than the moderate cold of the intervening period. Renewed mild and wet of course brings back the risk of flooding. We badly need a prolonged dry spell soon, if spring is also wet it could be a really major crisis.

Ah well, at least only around 6 weeks to meteorological spring by the time I get back, and hopefully March will be better than last year. At least the nights aren't still drawing in, which is something. Perhaps March will be the month to break the run of consecutive wet months.

Greece? How I do envy you....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Model output is so dire for coldies by day ten , that my lady Brindle has gone to sleep 🛌 

IMG_3691.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Gfs has just made next week a tad more interesting! Just a little ramp from me

we’re entering the fun zone as they say on The Chase lol

• Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, V for Very Cold said:

I said that I wouldn’t get suckered in by it ever again, BUT😅it is looking good this morning❄️. My nerves are starting to get frazzled again🙄😅❄️. Hope springs eternal and all that…….❄️😅

PS I love The Chase!

Edited by noggin
Add PS

Posted
9 hours ago, SunnyG said:

Greece? How I do envy you....

Indeed, it has been at least good to miss 3.5 weeks of the UK winter, though sadly that could include by far the 2 best weeks of the entire winter with a return to dismal tripe next weekend and, according to the GFS 00z, for the rest of the month.

Weather here has been mild and sunny at first then briefly a bit wet around a week ago, then cold and sunny. Here too snow has been mentioned in the forecast from time to time, but seems unlikely to happen now.

Enjoying the weather here but dreading the return to the UK next weekend into some potentially very unpleasant weather (as well as losing an hour's evening daylight, which is going to be difficult to adjust to again...), after hearing earlier forecasts of the coldish and dry persisting all month. I just hope February shows an improvement and we don't get stuck with 6-8 weeks of a jetstream on steroids before spring arrives!

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
1 hour ago, V for Very Cold said:

If only it could be more prolonged though.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
12 hours ago, baddie said:

Im at 23 hours as of today, and with the next working week (15th-19th) being very sunny, I could already reach average by the 19th (58 hours in my location)

Fair enough, though less than 2 hours a day shows how shockingly dull even an average January is, given daylight increases from around 8 hours at the start of the month to slightly over 9 at the end.

Edited by Summer8906

Just now, tight isobar said:

Indeed snow chances evaporating every run 🏃‍♂️ now !!!@countrywide.

Yeah this looked the case a few days ago aswell was clear to see the direction of travel.

In my years as an amateur and otherwise, I have never seen such promise result in so little for the majority of the UK.

I'm throwing in the big snow towel.

Apologies for the moaning post models but I think we all feel the same.

Onto the next chase. 

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Yeah this looked the case a few days ago aswell was clear to see the direction of travel.

In my years as an amateur and otherwise, I have never seen such promise result in so little for the majority of the UK.

I'm throwing in the big snow towel.

Apologies for the moaning post models but I think we all feel the same.

Onto the next chase. 

I think the dissapointment is how quickly the whole pattern falls apart just as it looks to get intersting. Day 10 charts from the mid term models are really poor and will see out Jan if they verify. Too much ramping getting folks hopes up. 

• Like 5

Posted

The folks on the other side of the pond, Lake Effect Snows are happening now

They don't even need a weather front for a dumping, just the cold winds blowing across a large unfrozen lake

Look at us over here, trying to chase a few flakes. lol

Can't we load a bunch of snow from USA or Canada into a few Cargo planes, fly them over the Uk, and just dump out the snow? 😉

• Like 1

Posted
22 hours ago, shawty1984 said:

I mean, it goes without saying that the further south you go the warmer its going to be, but it's such a wild statement it's pointless imo. I live in the North East of England and its pathetic where I live too. Its not just a southern thing.

I always thought that the North East was good for snow? 

Posted
12 minutes ago, HurricaneSteve said:

They don't even need a weather front for a dumping, just the cold winds blowing across a large unfrozen lake

The snow in the South last week was actually the equivalent - sea effect snow. We can get that sort of thing here 🙂

WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Very cold easterly flow, found when a high pressure sits over Scandinavia and brings air to the UK from Siberia. If conditions are right, significant snow can result.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1