Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
1 hour ago, Kasim Awan said:

Yeah this looked the case a few days ago aswell was clear to see the direction of travel.

In my years as an amateur and otherwise, I have never seen such promise result in so little for the majority of the UK.

I'm throwing in the big snow towel.

Apologies for the moaning post models but I think we all feel the same.

Onto the next chase. 

Kasim, don't apologise. You have called it correctly as far as I can read. It may not be what we want to read sometimes but your posts are soberingly honest. Keep it up please. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Paul said:

The snow in the South last week was actually the equivalent - sea effect snow. We can get that sort of thing here 🙂

WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Very cold easterly flow, found when a high pressure sits over Scandinavia and brings air to the UK from Siberia. If conditions are right...

Had the same in Boston USA in March 1992. Bright sunny day when we climbed the Bunker Hill monument, 2 inches of snow when we reached the bottom. Would love a US climate, Great Lakes would suit me perfectly!

Posted

There's been plenty of ramping for cold and snow, which admittedly even I got a bit caught up in when the modelling looked promising (though I never bought into the deep freeze some were suggesting). Ironically, it now looks like very few areas will see snow. Additionally, any that does settle won't stick around very long as the warmup is coming next weekend. To top it all off, in addition we have exceptionally mild scenarios building support in the ensembles for the tail end of the month as I've said over on the model thread. Even the ensemble means deliver widespread double-digit maxima, and some of the more extreme scenarios deliver 15C. You really couldn't make it up!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
1 hour ago, KTtom said:

I think the dissapointment is how quickly the whole pattern falls apart just as it looks to get intersting. Day 10 charts from the mid term models are really poor and will see out Jan if they verify. Too much ramping getting folks hopes up. 

Feel for all you younger guys and gals , at least I have seen some great winters up here, a few frosts and a couple of centimetres of snow is a win now.Can't see it getting any better in the future. Changing times and not for the better.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Never in the field of meteorology model watching was so little given to so many...we will view in the gfs, we will view in the ecm and ukmo and get cross model agreement, and then upgrades and downgrades, have fantastic ec46's and glosea monthlies and rock solid ensembles and still be left empty handed...

the hunt for snow will go, we will never give in!

Okay lets all go to lapland next winter 🙂

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Chasbrown said:

I always thought that the North East was good for snow? 

And that's the problem we have, southern people thinking we are good for snow. Teesside area is ridiculous. 

Posted
46 minutes ago, johncam said:

Feel for all you younger guys and gals , at least I have seen some great winters up here, a few frosts and a couple of centimetres of snow is a win now.Can't see it getting any better in the future. Changing times and not for the better.

Hmm, cant believe Im that much younger than you.. I have fond memories of '82 here, that certainly wont be repeated in my lifetime...on the plus side, I appear to have a yellow warning for snow on Wednesday night.. might get a passing shower 😁

Posted
Just now, KTtom said:

Hmm, cant believe Im that much younger than you.. I have fond memories of '82 here, that certainly wont be repeated in my lifetime...on the plus side, I appear to have a yellow warning for snow on Wednesday night.. might get a passing shower 😁

I can remember 62/63 that's hiw old I am 🤣

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, johncam said:

I can remember 62/63 that's hiw old I am 🤣

You win ! 🤣

Posted
Just now, KTtom said:

You win ! 🤣

🤣

Posted
3 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

And that's the problem we have, southern people thinking we are good for snow. Teesside area is ridiculous. 

End of the day it's just weather! We could always move to a more favorable location but I'm not that desperate!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
58 minutes ago, johncam said:

Never say never. We had some lousy mild winters in the 70s /80s as well. It's only the exceptional winters people remember. 😃

Posted
Just now, ANYWEATHER said:

Never say never. We had some lousy mild winters in the 70s /80s as well. It's only the exceptional winters people remember. 😃

Would say though , we had some good  cold/snow spells up here every winter 60's to 80's , have lessened since though still haven't had a snow free winter..........  yet

Posted
34 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

Factually, actual facts, will show it’s better up there than down south for snow 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
1 minute ago, Gadje said:

'Widespread snow in Central Southern Scotland' isnt a 'standard winter week' in January believe me.😏

Ok, it's not extreme weather, lowish temps, a front approaching .

It certainly isn't a wow factor. People aren't surprised when snow is mentioned up North.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
48 minutes ago, johncam said:

Would say though , we had some good  cold/snow spells up here every winter 60's to 80's , have lessened since though still haven't had a snow free winter..........  yet

Goes in cycles ,like everything in nature. 

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Welcome to m0dern c1im4te where only the north gets tiny amounts of snow 🤦‍♂️

IMG_1227.png

I'll take it if it comes.better than nothing 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
10 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Goes in cycles ,like everything in nature. 

True. But it's the things that aren't 'in Nature' that worry me! 🤔

Posted
17 minutes ago, MJB said:

It certainly isn't a wow factor. People aren't surprised when snow is mentioned up North.

That because they dont live here. Huge differences in the weather in various parts of Scotland were you interested enough not to generalise.

• Like 3

Posted
39 minutes ago, JimBob said:

Met office warnings now out until Thursday and none for the south so they see no risk of snow down here. 

They are probably being very cautious. A few tens of miles it’s the difference between some of the heaviest snow this region has seen since 2010 and absolutely nothing. Issuing a warm for nothing to happen would be damaging from a credibility perspective.  Would expect warnings not to be issued until Tuesday, if at all - unless there’s a big northward shift. 

Edited by Alderc 2.0
  • Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, MJB said:

Snow in south western Scotland  is as rare as hens teeth !

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 minutes ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

They are probably being very cautious. A few tens of miles it’s the difference between some of the heaviest snow this region has seen since 2010 and absolutely nothing. Issuing a warm for nothing to happen would be damaging from a credibility perspective.  Would expect warnings not to be issued until Tuesday, if at all - unless there’s a big northward shift. 

Agreed I remember in march 2013, two systems like the one on Wednesday were possible, they placed a red warning on the first one, but it went to France. The second one got a red warning too, and did hit east Sussex and Kent, but people ignored the warning and got stuck on the M20, a20, M2 and probably everywhere else.

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Factually, actual facts, will show it’s better up there than down south for snow 

Northern areas as a whole, obviously as a general rule its warmer the more south you go. We are talking about certain places though. So for instance, without looking at facts, I'd say Kent gets more snow than Teesside. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, jellybaby1969 said:

Snow in south western Scotland  is as rare as hens teeth !

It definitely isn't 😂

• Like 2