Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted

First proper morning where it’s felt mild from the get go. Hobbled out into the garden for a coffee in the sun. Hopefully at least 20C everyday until Sunday.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

cheese It's pretty much their winter though, or late Autumn at the very least. 

They'll also soon get this. Imagine getting that in late Nov/early December here? 

Screenshot_20240508-074524~2.png

Alderc 2.0 Again very regional. Thick clag in the SE. Feels very "May 2023" (where elsewhere was having clear skies whilst we lingered under sea cloud for weeks). 

PXL_20240508_061929440.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

cheese yes I am going on Wednesday to Sydney … it’s been wet but not that unusual for late Autumn down there !

Posted
Posted (edited)

cheese Sydney has had a rainy few years. It was only a year or two ago that they had their wettest year on record.

It was 2022- they had 2530mm of rain in the year.

Edited by Scorcher
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Scorcher not only just that but I think one of the cities in Oz ,recorded their lowest maximum temperature, either last year or the year before...😰

Posted
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Thick clag in the SE. Feels very "May 2023" (where elsewhere was having clear skies whilst we lingered under sea cloud for weeks). 

image.thumb.png.d0bcf471092799af3d8f145b4cf5cebc.png

Let's hope it will burn back...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

SunnyG Yeah it should be gone by like 10.30/11am but its still a bit frustrating how we cannot manage to longer than literally 1 day without a cloudy/claggy morning, lol. 

I was hoping that a proper HP spell like this would facilitate sunny mornings every day this week , especially given the time of year, as I enjoy it for commute, but heyho. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
Posted (edited)

In Absence of True Seasons a lot of clag everywhere this morning, except down parts of the central spine of the country. Sea fog, was forecast to roll in this morning. Starting to slowly thin and break now,  should burn away quite quickly.

IMG_2454.thumb.jpeg.b225cb136a4ebcd4a31c4481c937c287.jpeg

Edited by danm
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
Posted (edited)

In Absence of True Seasons it’s worth mentioning that winter is sunnier than summer in Sydney on average so it doesn’t really work like it does in the UK where winter is clearly worse. Sydney only gets 205.9 hours of sun on average in February, which isn’t much more than the 202 hours London gets in August. The sunniest month in Sydney is actually August - could you imagine February being the sunniest month of the year here?!

Edited by cheese

Posted

I remember a year or two ago, Australia getting incessant rain which would make our last 18 months look like a drought. The SE of Oz in particular, so the Sydney area. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
Posted (edited)

cheese Somewhere like Sydney probably needs it. It's Mediterranean climates that need the rain, not cool oceanic climates. Just as long as it doesn't fall all at once and cause floods, of course.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

Thankfully the claggy sea fog has burned away very quickly this morning. When I saw that forecast yesterday I had a fear it would linger for a good chunk of the day as it often does in these situations. Clear skies now. 

IMG_2455.thumb.jpeg.5922db9b4b773f6cdae7b2e53767bb95.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
Posted (edited)

Very claggy and hazy here also this morning, with significant low cloud cover. Also a little humid. Not especially pleasant; it appears this is rather a "dirty" high, with high moisture content. A bit reminiscent of that "dirty" high at the start of June 2016 which produced 5 days of dry and bright but very hazy and humid weather - before the deluge arrived on the 10th and continued for the rest of the month.

What would be nice is for a cold front to come down from the N and NW and introduce a clean anticyclonic spell with clear blue skies and low humidity, but I suppose that's too much to ask for in 2024...

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
Posted (edited)

cheese I'm amazed that Sydney has such relatively low sun levels in February: my perception of Sydney summers is constant clear blue skies and sunshine, with rainfall concentrated in the autumn and winter - the typical Mediterranean climate but more thundery.

One has to remember that Sydney has slightly shorter days in Feb than we do in August due to being closer to the equator, but even still, I'd have expected 300+ as the norm.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

They'll also soon get this. Imagine getting that in late Nov/early December here? 

Not completely settled (showers on two days) but even still, looks like a typical July in the London area. It's illustrative of the poorness of our climate compared to that of Sydney when it's warmer than the UK in May - but it is of course due to its relative proximity to the equator.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Jokes aside, your area has genuinely been such a magnet for cloud the last 12-18 months. Wonder what the meteorology behind it is. It's not typical a particularly cloudy part of the UK. 

This has come up before, but I think anomalous southwesterly is the cause, together with unusual cyclonicity.

While WSW-ly is the most common wind direction in any case, it does seem to have been especially and anomalously SW-ly of late, and combined with frequent low pressure that is a recipe for high cloud levels and high frequency of rainfall in this area.

We did better down here in the south when we had more WNW-lies or NW-lies in summer. For example August 1987 could almost be classed as good here.

• Like 2

Posted
Posted (edited)

Gone from an alfresco breakfast over to Bmth hospital for an appt and it’s foggy, breezy and must be 5C colder. 

Edited by Alderc 2.0
  • Like 1

Posted

Summer8906 It's my perception also. It's pretty interesting tbh. Obviously the climate there is a far sight better and more useable than anything in the UK, but nevertheless, I'd have honestly expected higher average sunshine hours than that.

I wonder if a lot of it derives from general pop culture / mass media / marketing perceptions and depictions of Sydney and associated Aussie culture. Everything AUS is always sun, sea, surf, BBQs Whether its adverts, TV shows/movies, books, or just people's minds-eye. But indeed, how much of this is tactical marketing by Australia itself to encourage people from the wider Anglosphere (both historically, and nowadays) to leave the gloomier shores of Britain, Canada, etc behind, and take a punt at starting life anew in 'sunnier' Sydney?

Posted
Posted (edited)

ANYWEATHER ISTR Sydney Observatory (I think) seeing an absolute max of 32C in 2022.

For that climate, that sounds staggering. That said it is a very maritime location which must moderate things somewhat.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
Posted (edited)

Wade Who's whining? Somebody merely made a comment stating that Sydney was particularly wet atm, which started a small discussion about Sydney's climate.

But ftr, probably not the thread for you if you don't like 'whining' generally-speaking. This is literally the moans, ramps and bants threads.

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons

Posted
Posted (edited)

Rather surprisingly the cloud has completely burnt off here and its clear, sunny and already up to 14.9C. Not having an onshore breeze certainly helps. There were countless days in the first 10 days of last June where it just clung on despite the stronger sun due to this very reason.

It looks like we might hit the first 20C of the year aswell today, which coincidentally would put it between 2016 (5th May) and 1998 (9th May) in the table - both years after strong El Ninos like this one.

Edited by reef
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Amazingly, the sea clag began burning off here about 8:30am which is pretty phenomenal for my area! Normally it lasts til at least 11am so that's a touch 👌

I'm off Thursday and Friday so praying with all my might that they will both feature plenty of sunshine with no long overcast Hell sections 👹. Been a long time since I've had a warm and sunny day off in England- October 2023 to be precise! 🤞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

SunSean burned off way earlier than the usual middayish.

Thursday and Friday looking very decent with 22c/23c and mostly sunny so congrats on your days off finally paying off