Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted

Facebook memories is telling me this day last year was the first 20c of the year! Who'd have thought this year would be worse and we can't even reach 16c!!

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

A very average late April day today, partly cloudy skies and temperatures of 16-17c.

Posted

Scorcher Just worn my winter coat on school run ... Usually downgraded to a thinner coat by now 

danm your definitely in the sweet spot mostly cloudy here 

IMG_20240429_164034917.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
16 minutes ago, B87 said:

partly cloudy skies

I'd say mostly sunny, rather than partly cloudy. Currently, and for most of the day, I'd say about 75-80% blue sky, 15-20% fluffy fair weather cloud. 

IMG_2384.thumb.PNG.edfb46dec13dc2b6c0d3319ef2db6f25.PNG

IMG_2385.thumb.PNG.6e144a752c7fcf576510b9c7c4ce3f35.PNG

IMG_2386.thumb.PNG.c37ff6f650dadacc5c40b0bbb16a477b.PNG

IMG_2382.thumb.PNG.acd160f4f05cc28f97edfaf27c7c44f4.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

Scorcher Not so sure as warmer and unsettled normally means more cloud, more humidity and more pervading damp with high-DP air. Colder and unsettled normally means some relatively pleasant dry, low-DP air, between the rain bands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
26 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Facebook memories is telling me this day last year was the first 20c of the year!

Have to admit I don't remember that, fairly sure the last two days of April were wet and not especially warm but might be wrong.

The May Day holiday was earlier last year (April 29-May 1), but I'm fairly sure that the Mon - and then only the afternoon - was the only decent day of the weekend. Then the Tues and Wed were quite sunny before the Coronation gloom fest...

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted

*Stormforce~beka* yep definitely no partly cloudy here. Wall to wall sunshine at the mo.

IMG_2387.thumb.jpeg.ea0b6f950b4b53861eae6a6c93e6dcfb.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

danm looks similar skies to us up on the East coast this afternoon,  although we're 13°c and breezy. Starting to cloud aver a bit now though 🙄

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

midlandsun Agreed. Before today, my area Shoeburyness has had only 4 days with 50%+ sunshine this month and not a single day over 10 hours. Maybe we will get our first 10 hour day today but theres still been cloud so will be touch and go!

id go as far as saying that the East/South East have been way under par sunshine wise since after August 2022. Theres always been at least one random region sunnier since, apart from the average sunshine months where we finish ahead of other regions by like 10 hours lol.

Edited by SunSean
  • Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Catbrainz said:

Summer8906 I recall August 2019 as being a very non descript month. It was a  drier and sunnier version of August 2023 for my area. Not a bad month at all it’s no July 2018 or August 2022 but not a July 2023 ether. It really seems your area suffers under SWlys.(SWlys here antent great ether unless it’s anticyclonic as heck) Out of curiosity how does your area fare under a straight westerly I’d guess slightly better given more land to your west. 

It wasn't atrocious, just generally unsettled with damp, humid air and fairly frequent light rain or showers - and with a constant nagging SW-ly breeze - aside from the first 3 days and the hot spell of the 19th-26th.

I was out of the country for August 2023 but it does sound like the two months were very similar: August 2023 was cooler and wetter than normal here but that wasn't the case everywhere. August 2023 lacked the hot spell, of course, so would be worse overall.

We generally do better in straight W-lies as long as it isn't too cyclonic. For example, July 2020 was better here than some other areas, and that was, IIRC, a straight W-ly month. It wasn't great (still cloudy, due to cyclonic conditions early in the month) but had a relatively pleasant second half, aside from the dismal final weekend.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

*Stormforce~beka* not a wisp.

• Thanks 1

Posted

danm What is the difference between mostly sunny and partly cloudy? Don't they mean the same thing?

• Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, B87 said:

What is the difference between mostly sunny and partly cloudy? Don't they mean the same thing?

Semantics I suppose. When someone says partly cloudy, I think mostly cloud with some sunny breaks. Mostly sunny is the opposite. 

• Like 2

Posted

danm Cloud with sunny breaks would be mostly cloudy.

I think of it as sunny, partly cloudy, mostly cloudy, cloudy.

• Like 1

Posted

B87 got ya! Makes sense

• Like 1

Posted

Usual story again here, sunny until about 11am then just 1.1 hours since.

Just what will it take to get a proper sunny day? Its ridiculous this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

A rare mostly sunny Spring afternoon, 16.5c...so here's the obligatory (first of 2024!) "pint in the sun" that frequent my postings from April-Sept 😆

PXL_20240429_163827363.jpg

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

danm love the shade of the blue at this time of year when the sky is clear. It's why I find it such a shame when it's so often masked behind blanket grey. 

It's not so much the temperature I'm fussed about, but not being able to enjoy that colour. It doesn't look quite the same in high summer.

• Like 2

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons yep the blue is crystal clear today. Been a while since it's been this clear. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

B87 Yeah it depends on one's personal idea of the terms tbh. My own grading mentally is a bit more complex, but admittedly I obsess over cloud, lol:

- Fully clear (spotless sky)

- Just a few wisps (as per above aside from the odd wispy, thin hazy cloud and / or obstructions by jet-fuel streams)

- Mostly sunny (fluffy clouds here and there, some small gaps without sun as clouds pass over lasting no more than 15 mins. Cloud comprises no more than approx 25% of the sky)

- Partly sunny (as per above but cloud progresses to up to approx 50% of the sky. Gaps without sun may last up to half an hour)

- Mostly cloudy (cloudy cover ranges 50-75%, prolonged gaps without sun, but sun spells still present during the day on and off).

- Predominantly cloudy (a day with cloud as the predominant feature and breaks in the cloud few and far between. 5-10% sunshine only).

- Fully overcast (unbreaking blanket sheet of grey).

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
3 hours ago, Sun Chaser said:

What the hell is this setup. Temps struggling to get past 10c down here and grey skies with rain all week down here while the east pushes 20c and gets plenty of sunshine.

It’s not much better further up the M5!  It’s cold, it’s cloudy & it’s grey as per.

Fingers crossed we get really lucky by the end of the week and we get some slightly warmer, cloudier, grey, dull days to enjoy!   🤞🏻

• Like 2

Posted

danm Also a prime example as to the sun strength at this time of year. Only 16c but plenty warm when the sun is on you, even now at 6pm

• Like 1