Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
24 minutes ago, Nick F said:

There is a chance, as GEM shows, that the Atlantic upper troughing / surface lows disrupt more and slide SE against the cold airmass over the UK weekend of 20/21st. UKMO looks like it could head down that route too after t+168. 

Not a great deal of support from GEFS postage stamps. But still time for changes towards Atlantic trough disruption. But the return of westerlies weekend of 20/21 looks more favoured for now. 

Snow event looking likely for parts of Scotland and perhaps N England on Tuesday, as that low that forms south of Iceland in the arctic flow tracks SE towards northern Britain. Also snow showers for far north and coasts exposed to the N or NW Flow. EC has snow event back on the menu for S England Weds/Thurs next week, GFS a near miss, UKMO and GEM well south over France. Could be more back and forth on this front, though suspect it will end up south of S England. 

Cold all next week, but away from the north, can't see a great deal to get excited about if you want snow, unless the low off the Atlantic tracks further north than suggested. I see the 'but features can pop up at short notice' comments, but nothing to suggest anything popping up other than the Channel low threat for now.

Potentially the perfect set up for us here in Jersey then. Although as you well know, being a little rock 9x5 miles surrounded by sea currently at a barmy 10c, it's very touch and go. As long as the air across the continent is cold enough and we tap in to an E to SE feed, it's game on :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
15 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

There's just no point at all at analyzing charts regarding a break down when the models have been finding everything too much with little to know agreement, but the cold is coming. 

People obsessing on a breakdown before its began is baffling but each to their own...

Anything removing heights and cold with ease i suggest caution.

We've got some new dater flooding into the models with the fresh influx of spikes in background drivers, further +MT events ,  favourable wind influx pushing north from the tropics and a high amplified mjo should keep us all interested but its draining in this place every morning people obsessing on every model output even read a few posts saying basically what cold spell, it's all abit pathetic tbh that particularly with the morning blues people making comments based upon a chart thats 192 hours away when we can't even get it right for 4 days away! 

A relaxation around the last 5 days of the month or so maybe but can see a snowy breakdown and a temp blip in conditions before renewed bouts of wave breaking keeping the jet amplified but pushing south and another 12 rounds for the mighty vortex that's been knocked from post to post this year already and with the El Nino imprint one of the big drivers a back loaded winter looking very interesting in deed! 

I would urge caution, though as regards this cold spell and it's longevity.  The Atlantic is the driving force or dominant weather throughout the seasons more or less, so while the cold spell is welcome and dry weather is well needed, I think the writing is on the wall, with no proper blocking of cold across the nation.  If it stays dry until next weekend or so , for my location it will be over two weeks of no rain, could do with two months , but a pattern change is not unexpected. 😕

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
1 minute ago, JimBob said:

I think you are seeing what you want to see, no widespread snow on the charts. 

I don't see widespread snow at all. 

To say there is, is very misleading 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
1 hour ago, Gowon said:

👀👀

image.thumb.png.54a2f2e8823cd51d94585b83f530c6ee.png

With all these chases Ambassador you are spoiling us

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Confucius says learn from the past to know about the future (or something like that)

EC 10 days ago for today 

image.thumb.png.bfedd85d1afeee4b789bf109eef34cd8.png

today’s 0 chart

image.thumb.png.b9b3263de6bc2d96baa666dca4fd682c.png

Same for GFS

image.thumb.png.4f0a8334ea411e46961a0edeeaf8c8a9.png

Today’s chart 

image.thumb.png.2a427f7ae08fa6cad562257249ba7b3b.png

image.png

Edited by Vikos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings
2 minutes ago, geordiekev said:

With all these chases Ambassador you are spoiling us

That model reminds me of the Robot from "The Day the Earth Stood Still" Could be a sign 😄

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

image.thumb.png.11ef112258c290b3a09bc77dc339c09f.png

So close yet so far.......................a near miss. look at the purples across Belgium 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, MJB said:

image.thumb.png.11ef112258c290b3a09bc77dc339c09f.png

So close yet so far.......................a near miss. look at the purples across Belgium 

It may move north yet...

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW

From a selfish perspective I want this low as far south as possible, keeps the cold locked in longer and in my location it looks like we’ll get some streamer activity off the Irish Sea. And usually these type of things do always trend south although much to be resolved still..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
48 minutes ago, offerman said:

Hi Blast,

Can you post a link for me please to that graphical chart UKMOffice chart. Thanks 

Meteociel

BFTP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!
52 minutes ago, offerman said:

Hi Blast,

Can you post a link for me please to that graphical chart UKMOffice chart. Thanks 

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Météociel propose le modèle UKMO jusqu'à 168h. Cartes de prévision des précipitations, du vent, des températures

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,
7 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I appreciate it doesn't happen every time but I'm always mindful of January 2010 - the time the entire country (except Bournemouth!) went white due to a feature only modelled within T48 - and that was on a northerly.

And Preston 👍😂

• Like 1

Posted

Current modelling shows that snow chances are largely for those in the North West and potentially for the south if the path of the low is optimum. However there is always the chance of smaller disturbances delivering over the next week and there'll no doubt be some surprises cropping up within the shorter timescales.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
14 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I appreciate it doesn't happen every time but I'm always mindful of January 2010 - the time the entire country (except Bournemouth!) went white due to a feature only modelled within T48 - and that was on a northerly.

And it went from a M4-south event to an M40-south event within T+12.

• Like 1