Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

Once you get cross model agreement on this kind of hemispheric set up it’s goodnight Vienna on any significant blocking or proper cold spell for at least a few weeks, unfortunate given some of the charts we chased this time last week.

IMG_5735.png

IMG_5734.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Harveyslugger said:

The northerly has not disappeared completely?many snow showers for the favoured spots as it always is with northerlies 

For our location we could do with a bit of a more robust northerly to set up a good old Pembrokeshire Dangler, then a slight westerly tilt of north from the flow and bingo! The second part looks odds on, just as case if the northerly is sustained enough to get the dangler formed...

Posted

Evening all,looking at all model’s uncertainty remains the form horse regarding the track of this Atlantic low and the possibility of wide spread snow to England.Will it or won’t it any body’s guess at the moment safe to keep eyes peeled to the Fax chart’s although even they can alternate,so sit back and just enjoy won hell of a week of weather.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, KTtom said:

For our location we could do with a bit of a more robust northerly to set up a good old Pembrokeshire Dangler, then a slight westerly tilt of north from the flow and bingo! The second part looks odds on, just as case if the northerly is sustained enough to get the dangler formed..

Monday is the Pembrokeshire dangler?you can see it on ukv

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Penguin16 said:

Does the warm sector on Tuesday look a cert or still up in the air?

It will be literally up in the air for sure!

Right now, all models show a mild sector in some shape or form. It shouldn't translate into a corresponding warmup at surface level due to a combination of factors. It would make conditions less conducive for snowfall wherever precipitation occurs. Looks like a second half of Tuesday episode. Turns much colder again Wednesday. 

• Insightful 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Once you get cross model agreement on this kind of hemispheric set up it’s goodnight Vienna on any significant blocking or proper cold spell for at least a few weeks, unfortunate given some of the charts we chased this time last week.

IMG_5735.png

IMG_5734.png

You'd be surprised, as I mentioned earlier, how dire output can change to something  more favourable,  especially given the chaos in the strat.  Look up the charts for some noteworthy  cold spells over the years,  you'll see that in the days prior to  some of them you'd never  think  a cold spell was on the way given the  state  of  the NH profile. 

Edited by Bricriu
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
10 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Apologies,  the Northerly is still there for Scotland and parts of NE England. 

Northern Ireland is usually quite prone to showers in a northerly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
17 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

My perspectives only a short 48 hours ago was that we would see a proper Northerly with widespread snow showers followed with a high probability of a major snow storm for Central and Southern England,  this was to be followed by renewed Greenie blocking.

Instead, we've seen the Northerly disappear completely along with the snow storm with mild and wet now more favoured for next weekend.

Maybe I've misunderstood the posts by the teleconnections gurus, but it doesn't feel the cold spell offered.

Just a few points on this

1) I agree with the general gist of your post. Looks like this is in danger of being another underwhelming spell after looking like it had potential to be pretty eventful (still might but I reckon those chances are diminishing now). I wouldn't say 'high probability of a major snowstorm' but it looked promising. Got to say model-watching/snow-chasing in winter is becoming a bit of a boring, fruitless hobby despite how interesting the countdown to this forthcoming cool/cold interlude has been. If this winter doesn't deliver something significant, I really would start to wonder and lose even more interest 

2) The teleconnections have got it right. Detail, they won't predict. And, alas, it's the devil in the detail that looks like making this an uneventful cold spell for MOST of the UK. That still might change of course

3) The mild weather from next Saturday/Sunday was always on the cards. There have been nods to this in the models and within this thread but they were quite often shouted down as 'looking for the breakdown before the cold is even here' by some. It's a mild spell that might not last that long, though

Edited by LRD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

I'm not so sure why there is so much weeping and gnashing of teeth here, models with egg on face etc. These are super computers who do not compute embarrassment or emotions. The computers picked up the long wave signals a good few weeks back and stuck with it generally speaking. That's all we can expect from those distances and I think they did superbly well at that. The micro and macro scale of 2 such tiny islands in the grand scheme of things is nigh on impossible to get 100% correct at these big time differences. If you're not aware of the phrase "if a butterfly flaps its wings" then I suggest you google it. Chill pill. It's only weather after all. Worldwide life in our recent months and years shows us we all actually have vey little to moan about if a lack of snow is your biggest worry.

Back to the models. I'm not going to post the ECM 240 chart as it's on several pics up above, but I'm greatly encouraged to see the clear signal for the draining of low heights over Svalbard and Scandy. The would give us a quick enough route into another cold spell. I'll be keeping a keen eye on that area next after this week is over.

I'll enjoy this week, whatever it brings, I wish you all well in your chase. Whatever your weather desires are. But remember, posters here and the NWP super computers don't decide the weather, mammy nature does.  

Much love.

• Like 7

Posted
3 minutes ago, WolfeEire said:

It will be literally up in the air for sure!

Right now, all models show a mild sector in some shape or form. It shouldn't translate into a corresponding warmup at surface level due to a combination of factors. It would make conditions less conducive for snowfall wherever precipitation occurs. Looks like a second half of Tuesday episode. Turns much colder again Wednesday. 

Posted
15 minutes ago, danm said:

With northerlies we’re almost always more reliant on troughs or disturbances cropping up or a battleground snow event, away from the most prone spots. Northerlies are rarely good for convective snow showers away from northern Scotland and some coastal areas. 

Easterlies are much better in this regard. 

However, it’s way too soon to write off snow chances next week. Things often pop up at short notice so no point writing off snow chances 

100%. With the straight northerly set up, we know precip is much tougher to achieve. Once a northerly is on the cards,  expectations need to be tempered, no matter how enticing some day 7+ charts look. Combined with the demise of blocking, which has been clear for several days now, we can't be surprised at what looks like the likely outcome of 4-5 days of dry cold, and then back to Atlantic driven. I for one am very happy we have cold or even very cold temps next week. For me, that's a win as it's proper seasonal January weather.

Posted

Even If the ECM was bang on We would still have 8 days of decent  cold weather whatever about snow . I dont go past 144,

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

I'm not so sure why there is so much weeping and gnashing of teeth here, models with egg on face etc. These are super computers who do not compute embarrassment or emotions. The computers picked up the long wave signals a good few weeks back and stuck with it generally speaking. That's all we can expect from those distances and I think they did superbly well at that. The micro and macro scale of 2 such tiny islands in the grand scheme of things is nigh on impossible to get 100% correct at these big time differences. If you're not aware of the phrase "if a butterfly flaps its wings" then I suggest you google it. Chill pill. It's only weather after all. Worldwide life in our recent months and years shows us we all actually have vey little to moan about if a lack of snow is your biggest worry.

Back to the models. I'm not going to post the ECM 240 chart as it's on several pics up above, but I'm greatly encouraged to see the clear signal for the draining of low heights over Svalbard and Scandy. The would give us a quick enough route into another cold spell. I'll be keeping a keen eye on that area next after this week is over.

I'll enjoy this week, whatever it brings, I wish you all well in your chase. Whatever your weather desires are. But remember, posters here and the NWP super computers don't decide the weather, mammy nature does.  

Much love.

Well spotted. The GFS op in some recent runs has hinted at height  rises in this area. As we know the GFS can sniff out  a signal then drop it only to show it again later. Let's see does it pick up again  in the days ahead 

Perhaps  this will be the next direction  of travel after the milder turn. 

• Like 1

Looking at the models snow chances are pretty bleak for the majority but a decent dry spell coming up albeit it chilly, but sunshine for majority then looks like a return to Atlantic driven weather after that! So enjoy the sunshine and crisp weather perhaps a chance of snow in February but looks like a bust for now 

Posted

Down here on the riviera it has been the coldest 7 days recorded for many years so i cant grumble!  Sunny days!  Frosty days an hour of snow monday evening that left a nice covering. First since 2018.. looks cold again tomoz here 3c then 4c or 5c so not all bad! I know weirdly the north has been warmer the past week which is probably why this spell seems so short after the models and signals promised so much!  

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

IMG_5735.png

IMG_5734.png

At least a few weeks?.

Can you back that up with evidence please?.

Edited by joggs
  • Like 2