Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
7 hours ago, claret047 said:

I like the cold and snow, but it is not just that which enthrals me as far as the weather is concerned. Like you BFTP I like to see how the charts develop from one frame to the next and from 0Z to OZ, 06 to 06 and so on. How the change happens will be fascinating to watch.

Computer technology,  I believe,  can only go so far in determining what the weather will be like to any degree of accuracy much more than 5 days ahead. Perhaps the computers read too much information and the tiniest nuances magnify/distort the final conclusions. Perhaps MIA and other software experts may care to comment on this.

In the meantime we have about a week of cold weather in my neck of the woods with little chance of snow as things currently stand. At least the sun is out now and we have lost the North Sea clag that we have been enduring. 

Looking at the ECMClaret chart someone posted a few moments ago it looks like a very windy and possibly wet spell is in the offing. I very much hope not as that is the last thing we want!
I intend to go out this afternoon and enjoy the weather we have and not lament what we could have had, and suggest my fellow southerners do the same. Me I am watching the mighty Chelmsford City play Wealdstone inn the 4th Round of the FA Trophy. Perhaps @Ice Day and other nearby posters might wish to come along and support their local team.

Claret047 (Dave)

I hadn't forgot your query above, but waited until it was quieter to respond.  

In general more data is good news.

However, if you have more data (assuming a normal distribution)  you also introduce more 'out of range' data.

Generally models use various techniques  for handling the threat.  Within the models you can check the data against other data for the immediate locality.   (If there is one - could be difficult to apply in the Arctic or Antarctic),  and this generally is quite effective. 

Another method that was employed a few years back was by using a pre-edit stage. This will check for data being within certain ranges.

It was employed by BOM and led to complaints that some data had been omitted.

It  is quite difficult to use ranges in the world models as they have ranges of from -80c to +60c, and the same goes for pressure,  rainfall,  etc.

I do not know what method is adopted for each model.         Perhaps some else can help?

These days most data is produced automatically and normally will not have errors. When something goes wrong it is fairly easy to see.

MIA  

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Tentative signs on the eps of scandi euro ridge which should in my view push into scandi when we get the movement into high amplitude western pacific phases. 

Very encouraging!

yes indeed Scott and would very much tie into the wording of the MetO 28th Jan - 11th Feb long range forecast where they suggest an increased likelihood of high pressure forming and winds from the north or east leading to an increased chance compared to normal of cold spells. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Tamara said:

While indeed unlikely to show for 5 days based on timetable for eastward propagation of tropical forcing through Maritimes, I would add that those GFS forecasts have never been overly reliable based on a -ve tropical forcing bias that underplays +ve momentum transport.

In respect of potential impacts moving forward, the MJO forcing is better permed with the extra tropical GWO.  As @Singularitynoted, global angular momentum levels are still above parity overall during this "lull period" following the easterly inertia added c/o Indian Ocean forcing. Rapid convective suppression will follow in this area and that will be in tandem with the engagement of +ve torques as the MJO cuts through the Maritimes.

Based on existing relatively buoyant levels of AAM in the atmospheric circulation, the GWO is primed for a high amplitude Nino attractor Phase rebound.

Additionally e/QBO shear stress is likely to augment the effects of Rossby wave action on the vortex within enhanced Brewer Dobson transport between the tropical > polar stratosphere at the same time as ensure that the intraseasonal MJO wave itself, based on the periodicity of amplitude waves, does not weaken from forecasted status & via convective velocity potential indicators

For those predisposed to cold outcomes in NW Europe I still see relatively earlier in Feb rather than beyond midmonth for arrival of maximum potential impacts.

But first much to continue to monitor in respect of the next momentum uptick.

And if all that doesn't 'deliver', there must be something else that's coming into play. All we can do is learn. 🤔

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
3 minutes ago, Tamara said:

While indeed unlikely to show for 5 days based on timetable for eastward propagation of tropical forcing through Maritimes, I would add that those GFS forecasts have never been overly reliable based on a -ve tropical forcing bias that underplays +ve momentum transport.

In respect of potential impacts moving forward, the MJO forcing is better permed with the extra tropical GWO.  As @Singularitynoted, global angular momentum levels are still above parity overall during this "lull period" following the easterly inertia added c/o Indian Ocean forcing. Rapid convective suppression will follow in this area and that will be in tandem with the engagement of +ve torques as the MJO cuts through the Maritimes.

Based on existing relatively buoyant levels of AAM in the atmospheric circulation, the GWO is primed for a high amplitude Nino attractor Phase rebound.

Additionally e/QBO shear stress is likely to augment the effects of Rossby wave action on the vortex within enhanced Brewer Dobson transport between the tropical > polar stratosphere at the same time as ensure that the intraseasonal MJO wave itself, based on the periodicity of amplitude waves, does not weaken from forecasted status & via convective velocity potential indicators

For those predisposed to cold outcomes in NW Europe I still see relatively earlier in Feb rather than beyond midmonth for arrival of maximum potential impacts.

But first much to continue to monitor in respect of the next momentum uptick.

Yes, I think I probably should have elaborated on the it not starting it 5 days bit. What I meant is that we aren't near seeing the response in the NWP forecast yet. It was meant to ask people to be patient. 

Agreed with all of that. Timing can be argued, I just tend to see later response times than excepted because of delays. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted

Looking longer term, just hints and signs from the ECM and GFS, that as we move into latter stages of January, heights may build up from the south and either ridge into scandi, or ridge through mid atlantic bringing the atlantic to a halt - in tandem with a movement of the PV back to Siberia scrubbing low heights over Canada.. 

A week of cold blocked conditions, followed by a week of atlantic conditions and then increasingly back to blocked.. where the block sets up is unclear.. Certainly January 2024 will probably go down as a very mixed month compared to many recent ones.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 7

Posted
Just now, Battleground Snow said:

It looks a bit more ridgy in the Atlantic too 👀

iconnh-0-96 (3).png

iconnh-0-102 (3).png

Much more ridgey at such a short time frame - hopefully the pub run follow suite 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
5 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Nearly up to the M4 😲

IMG_2721.png

IMG_2722.png

Safice to say- a classic under /upper maybe?!! The energy it will have gained… if she hits @ 150/200 miles on bedrock!! It’s snow chaos!! “ once again “ - this is a truly evolutionary if- but- or maybe.. keep watching 😉🤘🤘

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

image.thumb.png.de2251b084e20ac314b1b3907bf9973d.pngimage.thumb.png.f08e9b8d7c6ee18fd95c03eb1440afbd.png

This run also has snow in the midlands as the low moves away.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
4 minutes ago, Mcconnor8 said:

image.thumb.png.de2251b084e20ac314b1b3907bf9973d.pngimage.thumb.png.f08e9b8d7c6ee18fd95c03eb1440afbd.png

This run also has snow in the midlands as the low moves away.

That’s a watcher!- I had a feeling not only an inland extension.. but a bow..n, pivot under the flow….. That “would be something “!! 🤘🙏

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 5

Posted

This Atlantic low has certainly caused a lot of frustration for coldies especially in the south .

It’s determined to wring every last vestige of drama out of the occasion! 

The ICON after the very progressive 00 hrs run seems to have edged the pattern a bit further west during subsequent runs .

• Like 5

Posted

Certainly looking like the far south is back in the game midweek 🤞

B67B8CD9-1F50-428A-A5E6-152391A7621E.png

EB4E3796-0A4C-47D7-B7FE-568168B5BF38.png

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted
1 minute ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

image.thumb.png.6f1a3d06f60ecf7d79ca05d7ec39f399.png

wow.  Already we see potential changes afoot.  As I said this Atlantic influence unlikely to be a trans continental express.

BFTP

The 0z runs will be quite interesting 🤔 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Jayfromcardiff said:

Any chance of another 50 miles push North do you think?

It’s possible … but so Is a shift south again 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
1 minute ago, Garthvader said:

The 0z runs will be quite interesting 🤔 

RE the LP coming from SW yes!   Maybe not that soon for beyond….but looking forward to midweek!!

BFTP 

2 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

No.  Caerphilly like the Gobi Desert…sorry

BFTP

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

I’d say more likely to trend south again 

• Like 2

Posted

Here’s another view of icon for midweek. Gets above m4 in the east and covers London and Essex up to beds and just scraping south cambs ..

960699DC-E4CC-4C4E-81DF-FA80FBF617C6.jpeg

8DCD3A31-F555-429B-BDC3-37EA6EDF8203.jpeg

241C1BB1-C3C4-4C15-A351-9E7CEA6C7453.jpeg

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

image.thumb.png.349e3e1f46783b9f7692045545c6b078.png
deep cold, make no bones about that. No short term down grade

BFTP

• Like 4