Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Here’s another view of icon for midweek. Gets above m4 in the east and covers London and Essex up to beds and just scraping south cambs ..

960699DC-E4CC-4C4E-81DF-FA80FBF617C6.jpeg

8DCD3A31-F555-429B-BDC3-37EA6EDF8203.jpeg

The prognosis is …👍👊🤘🤘

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

The prognosis is …👍👊🤘🤘

Who knows? :drunk-emoji:

• Like 4

Posted

So Icon further north with the snow band and GFS further south at 18z.

Clear as mud. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Latest GFS making more of a shallow high to our west moving east, which sharpens the cold flow on Thursday interesting changes in short term.

IMG_1653.thumb.png.ceb6809fbff38af69a34775a5ab4a455.pngIMG_1654.thumb.png.111f8ea481dbfb735c6591dc89f919f8.png

• Like 8

Posted

Just b4? I rip through the eps throws like a hungry man going through a bin!!!   Let’s take a blend of upper temperatures/ member trends- and precipitation!!!   I’ll leave the longer term s said “ for now”!!    Let’s look at a random blend of icon/ gfs/gem- keeping it simple the guise of pressure- and precipitation spikes with a flat 24 hr zone in ens @cross ,,, more or less… these the London. Spreads.. precipitation- to level values say…. The ops/ raws are underestimating the frontal interruption “ pretty naively”!!! - watch this 1 upgrade in a massive/marked scale….🤘👊👊

484B21C7-508D-4C80-9AA2-A8FA91717921.png

233D861C-FEF5-448F-993A-37B10C13F026.png

8449482E-EB6E-4870-8B4C-9DD91F56DFCA.png

1609228A-550F-4DB7-A54B-5E26D42BF71E.png

5BCBD1E9-93FC-41B3-B69B-A6DE3EFBFA35.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Prolonging the cold this run!! 

IMG_2726.png

IMG_2727.png

• Like 3

Posted

Doing a better job of thrawting Atlantic but I don’t think it’s going to be enough. Friday looks very cold for most under cold high. Could be some very low minima.

IMG_1657.thumb.png.1262c8bf40af66968b0ab7fca45048d3.png

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

image.thumb.png.188a3b52a1dc0d9384b34395ca578c6e.png

t144 18z won’t look like this…going to be an enjoyable several days of lots of ups and downs….

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted

Now we’re seeing signs of the wedges advertised by an atmosphere that in all fairness is still in a high GWO orbit. A case of not taking models at face value all the time. We could see an extension of the cold for a day or 3 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I wonder if we can throw this tpv lobe SE with residual height's(white box) to the NE of it in future runs,the lobe already looks negatively tilted compared to the 12z.

gfsnh-0-138.thumb.png.4e19c491bafd7bc1870c25754bc405bd.pnggfsnh-0-144.thumb.png.a951f08002e1c11da0083a0be520d4c7.png

Edited by Allseasons-Si
Added chart
  • Like 7

Posted

I’m dropping v1- snap going forward- from tonight’s 12z epsf-     The next variation is there and … let’s hope it’s an evolutionary trait, @ eyes to the polar CONTINENTAL plots….

055F84F0-2919-4AE5-A6A7-C16748E58AD6.png

F07373E7-8CF6-45FD-AF2B-955C0C0BBA4D.png

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Allseasons-Si said:

I wonder if we can throw this tpv lobe SE with residual height's(white box) to the NE of it in future runs,the lobe already looks negatively tilted.

gfsnh-0-138.thumb.png.4e19c491bafd7bc1870c25754bc405bd.png

It’s possible. The evolution looks like heights up through or to the west of the UK migrating East, then West to Greenland. Similar to the 2018 evolution when the western conveyor belt hit a brick wall out of nowhere. The chart you posted is certainly an early crumb towards that

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

GFS joined the other models with the Bay of Biscay low supporting the HP as it passes east to west, delaying the colder air departure by a little bit:

T132:

image.thumb.png.41ce7ad977ed928615147489b1f79a4b.png

As of now, all models have this part of the puzzle, so we get a fuller picture of the final fall of the GH. Cold lingers until early Sat.

T156:

image.thumb.png.92f246de88447b6e8633185f84ef51ac.png

Similar to every other model around that time. EC for example:

image.thumb.png.a131d06ebd52ac6ab0a35ef1197d1d42.png

• Like 1

Posted

image.thumb.png.ad4b725e75e6bccbaa920e3ad3a82d02.png

my earlier post re this about the Atlantic unfiring as we look at US

well 18z brings that forward…by a lot…24-30 hrs

image.thumb.png.303218ae0c18c1db5460b08940a79e34.png

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Changes around the 18th/19th makes me wonder if the models are starting to sniff the coffee a little bit. Eagerly anticipate the next frames. Biscay low is a positive sign IMO. All we need is just a bit more NW/SE trajectory then we could be primed again. All to play for. 

1 minute ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

image.thumb.png.ad4b725e75e6bccbaa920e3ad3a82d02.png

my earlier post re this about the Atlantic unfiring as we look at US

well 18z brings that forward…by a lot…24-30 hrs

image.thumb.png.303218ae0c18c1db5460b08940a79e34.png

BFTP

The weaker heights directly to our south look positive to me. Instead of fuelling a giant Euro block the heights are pushing closer to Scandinavia and the Azores high is pushed back west.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
18 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Doing a better job of thrawting Atlantic but I don’t think it’s going to be enough. Friday looks very cold for most under cold high. Could be some very low minima.

IMG_1657.thumb.png.1262c8bf40af66968b0ab7fca45048d3.png

Trough over Iberia, and the Atlantic still comes roaring in, I wonder how often that happens.

GFSOPEU18_132_1.thumb.png.79c1e9478ad24687d0acb2b60a830f83.png

Tamara would be quite excited I think with this deluge over Iberia if it happened. Other model runs apart from the UKMO 12z have the low sinking into a cut-off system around the Canary Islands so probably not fully set in stone what happens in that part of Europe later next week.

overview_20240113_18_138.thumb.jpg.8b1fa916293353d77d039b6e23292fa8.jpg

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 1

Posted

I think regardless of how much the HP tries to build nearby the UK there is huge momentum coming from the jet around 168-216hrs that almost certainly kick it too far SE. Whilst the models maybe being too forceful with this, I think its pretty inevitable the Atlantic is coming back in, at least for a time.

Before that we still have some interest, though experience suggests these channel runner lows tend to end up being just a little too far south. I suspect at this point that will be the case here as well and it'll be close but no cigar with this one, sadly.

That all being said, I think we will get at least one more good shot at a cold pattern through February so for now I'm not hugely concerned about how rough the mid term looks.

EDIT - 12z ECM is amazing at 240hrs, for all the wrong reasons, probably a record breaker there!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, kold weather said:

I think regardless of how much the HP tries to build there is huge momentum coming from the jet around 168-216hrs that almost certainly kick it too far SE. Whilst the models maybe being too forceful with this, I think its pretty inevitable the Atlantic is coming back in, at least for a time.

Before that we still have some interest, though experience suggests these channel runner lows tend to end up being just a little too far south. I suspect at this point that will be the case here as well and it'll be close but no cigar with this one, sadly.

That all being said, I think we will get at least one more good shot at a cold pattern through February so for now I'm not hugely concerned about how rough the mid term looks.

More than one shot, and the Atlantic coming back in is not set in its ferocity or longevity.

BFTP

• Like 3

Posted
32 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

It wasn’t a comment about teleconnections.  While not infallible, on this occasion they did what it says on the tin, I agree about that.  (The models, however, did overegg the blocking massively as this came into view which was an issue.)  

It is clear to anyone who has followed this winter chase for any number of years, that even with the right signals, it has become virtually impossible to get setups for significant snow in winter in southern UK.  Apart from a few inches in December 2020, there has been no cold and snowy period since 2018 (does that even count as it was in the spring?).  Changing climate seems to have done much more than increase average temperatures a bit, it also seems to have massively reduced decent patterns and altered patterns that once delivered into ones that don’t.  This year promised decent patterns and has flattered to deceive so far.  It may be many years before we get similarly favourable signals going into winter again.

I agree ….i know it’s not as simple as this but if there were say 8 variables required to result in uk wide snow like in the past…we need all 8. And then…what would we say we had this spell…90% of the variables favourable?? And still quite a let down. Could be a good while to have so many favourable.

But in the past ….again shooting from the hip here….maybe 65-75% of the variables required for the patterns to result in the majority of the uk seeing snow.

From a non teleconnections expert…and at afar this is how it seems to have panned out over recent years 

• Like 3