Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Cold spell ending - what next?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related discussion only
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. For purely emotional reactions to the models, the new model emotions thread is also available. 

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

Please see the model discussion guidelines for more information about posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
Just now, Mike Poole said:

Different outcome on GFS 12z, but the same big picture point, by the end of the run, the trop vortex has vacated Canada/Greenland and moved to the half of the hemisphere to our east.  

IMG_8551.thumb.png.93eae6678df04402562d4cbdf9cd4175.png

I just think we are now picking up on a theme, which will leave the door open to height rises in the Atlantic towards Greenland into February.  

Yes, this could be as long a chase as the one just gone.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

Different outcome on GFS 12z, but the same big picture point, by the end of the run, the trop vortex has vacated Canada/Greenland and moved to the half of the hemisphere to our east.  

I just think we are now picking up on a theme, which will leave the door open to height rises in the Atlantic towards Greenland into February.  

In tune with Exeter's thoughts as well. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow
18 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

What worries me more is the vortex gaining strength beforehand. I'm not sure about the likelihood of that outcome as it not in line with what we've seen and what other models show. I think the GFS is overplaying it tonight and it may as well be an outlier in that sense. The Rossby wave created by the Aleutian low should be the one to create a ridge in the Atlantic in the first week of so in February. There should be something visible regarding the ATR in the EPS of GFS tonight. 

Edit: looking at the different members of GFS at day 10, the operational definitely is not an outlier when it comes to the strength of the vortex. It is gaining power in 80-90 percent of the members. 

Edited by AO-
  • Thanks 1

Posted

All 3 main 12z models are clear this evening. Wild and windy westerly weather.

There’s really little else to say about the medium term outlook because the Atlantic is resurgent. Any attempt at height building is steamrollered. And for those looking for cold, the pummelling of these warm winds into Scandinavia is pretty eye watering. ECM and GFS of like mind:

Screenshot2024-01-20at19_14_34.thumb.png.97d992c84d41143f6cbd0cdd27313108.pngScreenshot2024-01-20at19_15_04.thumb.png.20b79161605cf7807e5efc2acc42f308.png

So really our focus is on the short-term for now. A big storm tomorrow night, and a second hot on its heels. Batten down the hatches folks. It’s going to be wild.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM clusters T192-T240:

IMG_8552.thumb.png.0250ad88700e390ca1db06453e2f5c55.png

In this timeframe clusters 1 and 3 build a ridge to the NE, while cluster 2 remains generally flat.  

T264+:

IMG_8553.thumb.png.8a8c24f28fe5366964e1f3ba5ba5d636.png

Cluster 1 collapses the nascent Scandi ridge to flat.  Cluster 2 builds a strong Atlantic ridge.  Cluster 3 looks like it might flirt with an Atlantic ridge after the end of the run.  Cluster 4 has a decent attempt to ridge into Greenland, falling back to an Atlantic ridge. So the idea of a build of heights to the NW continuing to gain ground in this timeframe, consistent with the move on the 0z EPS.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, Frosty. said:

Please god 🙏let the Cfs be right about wintery potential beyond the upcoming mild stormy dross??!!!…I’m not ready to sign the death warrant on winter 2023 / 24 just yet! 😱 😜… there’s plenty of time left.. even into March / April… 🥳.. I’ve convinced myself now, I’m deluded perhaps.. but.. you never know.. I might not be! 😜 😯 🥶 ❄️.. up here at castle black, there’s a few nice photos from this winter so far!.. 😱 

IMG_2055.thumb.png.ea05877159f062744e041257a95d4ce7.pngIMG_2054.thumb.png.0000621ee80ac811d8a05a3c5e07ad34.pngIMG_2053.thumb.png.47c8b56447e0c1f8464b6db79e346735.pngIMG_2052.thumb.png.25e40d2423ce93d4ecc26327a32c78f9.pngIMG_2051.thumb.png.874f48c4fae427a9211ba79a335187e2.png IMG_2036.thumb.jpeg.c17c908dad5a795bf77050176878e51a.jpegIMG_2026.thumb.jpeg.6c5cc79b8afd4d938b390afb6bb31df9.jpegIMG_2044.thumb.jpeg.6d802aaafc9b25dff2e74461be0009f7.jpegIMG_2038.thumb.jpeg.c2203eda7bb3345400283eaa9fc1a465.jpegIMG_2034.thumb.jpeg.ceb034194f97bde9cb0b60512a4a32cd.jpegIMG_2033.thumb.jpeg.d9c58e798e43e72afa5c97d4cda0706c.jpeg

Nae bad! :drunk-emoji:

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, blizzard81 said:

In tune with Exeter's thoughts as well. 

So have they dropped the idea of Easterly winds now? They had that as the direction of travel  for days. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Exceptionally mild average next week? I’m not wholly sold on that. Looks quite alternate on ECM 12z with nearer normal temps in second half of week.

IMG_1963.thumb.png.2733251f40f26b1a4f52e285b1b9f234.pngIMG_1964.thumb.gif.79fde0d33745ca9cd6c1ad549869cdc6.gif

Birmingham fairly representative of CET zone mild days but cool nights.

IMG_1965.png

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

It may of been a little quieter in here today than earlier in the week when the signs of a Scandinavian High may of presented themselves - but considering only a handful of operational runs from the GFS FI or GEM liked the idea, I'm not losing sleep over the collapse of this signal. 

The various ENS from the GFS and ECM also to me never showed a Scandinavian high with a full blown Easterly - often just showing lots of HP over the top of the country extending up there but nothing more than that..

But, while there's not much going on at the moment on the look out for colder weather, the GFS 12z ENS surprised me a little with the amount of members beyond D10 flirting with the -5'C uppers. Yes there's a huge amount of scatter but it shows there are options on the table. (I acknowledge these ENS are specifically for my town, may be slightly different elsewhere) 

ens_image.thumb.png.d3ca49a0c13989fc95e2555e085be7ab.png

GFS ops last few runs also showing signs of attempted height rises to W/WNWish, I don't take anything in FI usually but it does just paint a slight picture of what may happen if we are to get another colder spell. 

ECMWF extended also kind of hints at this trying to push those heights further to the W of us - and likely quietens the Altantic considerably 

image.thumb.png.6d52633e5b633810bf6464c60753cbbf.png

(The week after these weak heights do end up notably to the NW of us but this is well towards mid Feb now) but that's just the direction I sense things may be going

1 hour ago, TillyS said:

All 3 main 12z models are clear this evening. Wild and windy westerly weather.

There’s really little else to say about the medium term outlook because the Atlantic is resurgent. Any attempt at height building is steamrollered. And for those looking for cold, the pummelling of these warm winds into Scandinavia is pretty eye watering. ECM and GFS of like mind:

Screenshot2024-01-20at19_14_34.thumb.png.97d992c84d41143f6cbd0cdd27313108.pngScreenshot2024-01-20at19_15_04.thumb.png.20b79161605cf7807e5efc2acc42f308.png

So really our focus is on the short-term for now. A big storm tomorrow night, and a second hot on its heels. Batten down the hatches folks. It’s going to be wild.

Yes things look shocking don't they for the next few days! 

image.thumb.png.a6524b4be70339ef6ab15d4e1b3d345a.png

Km/h ^ for clarification.. !

Posted
1 hour ago, Bricriu said:

So have they dropped the idea of Easterly winds now? They had that as the direction of travel  for days. 

As others have already said, the Exeter update today is a slight upgrade for wintry potential but patience required. Isn't it always in the UK?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

EC46 offers some hope, for those with patience.

Schermafbeelding 2024-01-20 214727.jpg

Middle of Feb is exactly when those inflated southern Euro heights dissipate. Only then do we see the opportunity for the white stuff we are all craving. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
54 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Middle of Feb is exactly when those inflated southern Euro heights dissipate. Only then do we see the opportunity for the white stuff we are all craving. 

Mid feb is 2 is wks of winter left. 

It wouldn't surprise me to see this years tease to peter out into another year of potential but never quite lit the cigar, we were talking about predominant northerly blocking with small windows of zonal Atlantic influence. In reality it look like we face a longer period of sustained westerly weather. 

Do i believe it all? No.

But a drop in AMM along with a vortex shake up that didn't go our way when we already had a favourable pattern, add into the mix a very cold winter period over USA which we all know is like a spark to an engine igniting the pond resulting in a +nao

Give it another 10 days and we're all be turning to March for the fix i just hope this year does us proud we all deserve it.

From a synoptic perspective its been fascinating.

Lets hope our beloved background drivers bounce back but mid Feb is not good enough considering how promising its looked.

Stoke north, great winter and for the Northwest with two big snow events in from first wk of Dec and the last one i know some places were buried and parts of Scotland and NI have done well too but for places brum south it's been pants from a snow respective.

Edited by Severe Siberian icy blast
  • Like 4

Posted

chart(82).thumb.png.dc0645ca88507bedf735de2ebb2a7707.pngchart(81).thumb.png.27727573ca6f08731cd1c6b68f26ba3c.png

ECM 12z continues to look pretty mild for the foreseeable. Yes, there are interludes in there where the mean drops to perhaps only a little above average, but 850hPa temperatures at 5C are going to be either very mild under a westerly, or if more anticyclonic, possibly frosty by night but reasonably mild by day.

image.thumb.png.320e9d2fda69e65422499aabdc23c6fd.png

The ECM meteogram for Reading above illustrates this quite well. The wind direction over the next two weeks is forecasted to be at various points south-westerly, westerly, and southerly. The exceptionally mild interludes coincide with south-westerlies (turbocharged by abnormally warm SSTs over the Azores), nearer normal temperatures under southerlies, and the westerlies somewhere in between.

It does at least look like it won't be a relentlessly wet pattern, with some quieter interludes. Cold may still return in February, but nothing much of interest from a cold perspective on the horizon.

More locally, I'll be keeping an eye on Storm Isha which may have some impacts at my location depending on track, so I may post a little less in here.

I will be back for the GFS 18z ensembles though.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Now when have we seen a chart like this? Déjà vu 😀

GFSOPEU18_372_1.thumb.png.47720f661cb791d7d8376b4ff75aa3ee.png

• Like 2

Posted

Surprised no real mention of GFS18z this eve, yes way beyond reliable but it pulls in   a cold northerly and advects heights NW. I do take notice of the GFS when these type of synoptics might be the likely destination, as it has a habit of being first to sniff them out - namely because it goes out to 2 weeks plus. 

For a mid Jan Sat eve, tonight in this forum has been as subdued and as quiet as they come. Mid winter blues..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 4

Posted
45 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Surprised no real mention of GFS18z this eve, yes way beyond reliable but it pulls in   a cold northerly and advects heights NW. I do take notice of the GFS when these type of synoptics might be the likely destination, as it has a habit of being first to sniff them out - namely because it goes out to 2 weeks plus. 

For a mid Jan Sat eve, tonight in this forum has been as subdued and as quiet as they come. Mid winter blues..

To be fair, it is a ridiculous outlier on the ensembles. Doesn't mean it's wrong, but taking with a pinch of salt for now!

chart(83).thumb.png.6f440f83a271d15cce2357c973a34e7d.png

Posted
3 hours ago, blizzard81 said:

Maybe, but I thought the EC46 was a further upgrade on yesterday.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Just highlighting the GFS in FI. The next 8 days:

animbhi9.gif

The FI charts of the last week suggest that the models overplay Scandi heights. This bias and the UK high has disappeared, with the northern arm of the jet too powerful.

The retrogression of the Euro heights back to the Azores continues to be the outlook from the GEFS as the tPV moves west to east to our north. D8-16 mean:

animzcc2.gif  animcwj9.gif

There is potential in week 2 for Atlantic Heights. Still, I do think we may need help from background signals as there is no sign of upstream forcing by the end of week 1 of Feb. And still a Siberian block making it difficult for the tPV to leak to the Asian/Pacific side of the NH, which would allow more room for trop wave breaking in the Atlantic if we do not get tropical forcing.

Overall a typical mix of zonal Winter weather for the next two weeks See the sine wave of 850s and pressure for London:

image.thumb.png.043562ba298bef7b85fb34a683936e92.pngimage.thumb.png.ed4e3e6d6307ca6aa0fde89b8c4a7f1f.png

Average winter weather UK-wise. The usual caveats.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Potential emerging at the end of EC 00z

image.thumb.png.3750111ef41854ec954ffcf12623a9dc.png

Yes, maybe a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel here.  The PV looks less organised in this frame - we need to see this trend continuing over the next few days.

• Like 1