Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2024

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

richie3846 We average 4 months with 200+ hours.

May: 207 hours

June: 208 hours

July: 218 hours

August: 202 hours

The last year that saw 4 months with 200 hours was 2018. Before the 2007-2012 nonsense, it was much more common and stable.

In 2024 so far, we have seen just 316 hours of sun. Typically by the end of April, you would expect around 441 hours.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted

B87 yes I understand the concept that there are 4 months on average that are over 200 hours, but that doesn't mean each 4 month peak sun period will have above 200 hours of sun, even if it ends up being sunny overall. What I was trying to say was that measuring 835 hours over the 4 months may be more balanced and fair. 

Posted

richie3846 By the end of April, we will still be over 100 hours short compared to average. We aren't going to get a 300+ hour May to get us back on track for the year. If anything I think that May will continue the current pattern.

• Like 2

Posted

B87 agreed, it's unlikely you'll catch up. It's been a little sunnier here so not so far behind average. The point I was making was more of a general observation about the nature of averages, and how statistics can sometimes lead our thinking down a particular path, rather than this year specifically.

• Like 2

Posted

richie3846 Yes, 2022 for example didn't have 4 months with 200+hours at Heathrow but was a very sunny year, as was 2020. Years where all four months that average over 200 hours actually manage to reach it are always going to be a rarity.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Interesting that my location and Yakutsk both say max 7c tomorrow. 

On 22 January 2025 it will be 7c my location -50c for yakutsk 😢

Screenshot_20240421_114356_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20240421_114339_Google.jpg

• Insightful 1

Posted

It looks like mainland Europe will go back top high temps just as we get yet more rain. I need to move to the desert not just to the Med lmao

Posted

reef Yet we can pretty much guarantee that August will be duller than average most years, or that this year will be one of the dullest years on record.

It should work both ways.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I thought this weekend was supposed to be settled but cloudy. But it has actually turned out settled and sunny with just a few small wispy clouds here and there. The Met Office got it wrong yet again. ⛅

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

B87 this makes no sense. It can't always be duller than average, because the average will then drop accordingly, depending on the timeframe being used for measurements. 

Posted

richie3846 When we do get sunny Augusts, the total just about creeps past average.

When we get dull Augusts, it's almost always extremely dull.

Back to 2006 when Augusts started falling apart, if we look at how many of them saw 30 hours more or less than average, it is very one sided.

>232 hours: 1 (2022)

<172 hours: 6 (2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2021)

When we look at June and July, we get an expected mix of sunny and cloudy months.

Edited by B87

Posted

richie3846 Over the last 10 years, April is actually sunnier than August (both in the 190s), which is ridiculous.

If we are getting sunnier overall, why is August alone collapsing?

Edited by B87

Posted

August and April have very similar daylight hours, so the potential is always there for them to be similar. I would argue the reason is that the Augusts of the 1989-2006 period were abnormally above trend just as Aprils recently have been.

There are similar anomalies elsewhere. Here May is on average a sunnier month than June when June has longer days.

Edited by reef

Posted

For what little it's worth, CFSv2 is now going for a slightly warmer and drier than average May. That would do nicely.

image.thumb.png.6c8962874687ba5c4fae959034de055d.pngimage.thumb.png.e29b8ad8502a038a3acae6ab6a7ee399.png

Now all we need is for it to verify...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Spring used to be my favourite month as we used to get lots of sunshine, Summer to look forward to and the sun constantly getting higher and the days brighter. Lately however, its been one of the worst and dullest seasons which is a massive crime.

Here are how I'd rate the past 11 Spring months since 2021 down in Shoeburyness-

March 2021- Average 

April 2021- Excellent 

May 2021- Crap

March 2022- Good

April 2022- Average 

May 2022- Below average 

March 2023- Crap

April 2023- Below average 

May 2023- Average 

March 2024- Crap

April 2024- Crap

May 2024- Likely crap considering the pattern we have is unshakeable 

So Spring in Shoeburyness has been getting progressively worse year by year since the glorious 2020. What a time to be alive...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

raz.org.rain Yes, the rain will be warmer. 😁

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

The amount of times over the past few months there’s been “signs of a change in a couple of weeks”!

If only I were a betting man…….

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

AWD Always 10 days away! Be lucky if we even get a decent September at this rate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1