Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Lashing the conservatory roof.

• Like 5

Posted

Had Worse torrential rain and hail… back door mat floating ⚡☔☔☔☔🌨️ close Lightning ⚡️ and loud thunder earlier…  shotgun thunder when I got up this morning too… so much hail today and cold in gusty winds… 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too wet.

I'm calling it now. Rain at the weekend.

• Like 4

Posted

What a crazy day - lightning earlier this eve in that belt of squally heavy rain which came through the northwest.   

During the day a mad mix up of hot sun (briefly) and icy machine gun hail and lashing rain.   Trees swaying in the spells of violent NW wind.

Collected 9.0 mm this morning at 9 GMT.  Current total for April is 107.6mm.

Spent last few days trying to make progress with outdoor work, but everywhere is just too saturated to manage.  Utterly disheartening.  At a simple level the sodden veg garden is covered with thick lush weedy grass grown well in the warmer temperatures.  There's no way anyone can even walk on it.

But I could weep for the fields.  Decades of work maintaining the network of tile drains and costing many thousands of pounds is now all for nothing.  The drains have been silted up in the heavy rain since the start of July last year and it is impossible to get machinery on the land to clear them without causing damage.   So now there is rush invasion taking over other species in the meadows. Even if the rain is suiddenly switched off it will be a very long time before the fields dry out and normal farming resumes.

I've been told that arable farmers are also having problems.  Seeds not yet in the soil.  Overwintering  crops ruined.

I fear for food supplies whether for humans and farm animals next winter.    Doubtful if places abroad can supply us reliably and cheaply when distrurbed weather patterns seem to be a worldwide problem.

• Like 8

Posted

A tempestuous day, squally downpours and downdraughts,  a pool of sub 528 dam air overhead, and consequently cold. Temps hovered between 5 and 8 degrees, fells retained a white coat above 650m.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Bit of a wild day today. Being an extreme weather freak I decided to drive down to view the River Mersey 🤣🤣 could barely open the car door with the wind, then I as I got back into the car to avoid a heavy hail shower, the door near took my leg off! I think we got to a high of 7-9c today but the wind made it feel much colder. Still wearing my anorak ☹️

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Rain Lady  aye it doesn’t matter which side of the GW debate you sit on, the conditions since early summer last year have been abysmal and we will all likely feel the effects in terms of substandard foods at higher prices.

if this turns out to have been a freak event and conditions settle down into a lengthy period of good weather then some sort of normality will return and GW will suddenly become a positive thing but months of continuing wet weather has certainly played havoc with all aspects of life and I really feel for anyone trying to make a living in these conditions.

Thankfully the dire conditions of yesterday should improve into something drier over the next few days with that rarest of beast, a high pressure system looking to set up shop around this part of the world but to me it looks like a drier but largely cloudy affair and, given the need for sunshine at this time of year, suppressed temperatures.

I certainly cannot see us reaching for the sun cream and dusting the BBQ off anytime soon.

• Like 9

Posted

It's DRY for now.  Blue sky earlier with tangerine coloured clouds.  7°C and those strong gusts have abated. 🙂

• Like 5

Posted

We seem to have missed the worst of the weather yesterday evening, still bits and pieces of rain in a gusty wind but nothing like further north and east in the Region. A better start today (not saying much), although we had a light shower an hour ago and still partly cloudy. Hopefully the forecast improvement will continue.

• Like 4

Posted

A little hail shower half an hout ago.  Looks like more to come as there's dark clouds to north.

9.3mm for the last 24hrs   expected more.     116.9mm for April so far.  That's 668.3mm now for this year.

• Like 3

Posted

More rain- horrendous and much worse than forecast. Sunshine this morning but it was all too good to be true.

It really is beyond a joke.

• Like 3

Posted

Temperatures at Rostherne showing 14C .. a measly 8C at Manchester Airport. I'm guessing that's due to a localised shower, that seems to bring the temps down quite a bit. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Yet Another strike south of Manchester. It's been a real hotspot this year.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Meanwhile here it's been a dry day with sunny intervals, quite nice. Still a bit windy. 11.3°C.

• Like 3

Posted

Beefy shower streamer here now from north with powerful hail. 

• Like 3

Posted

Distant rumble heard from somewhere, no evidence of a strike on charts, edit.....radio is picking up something now.  Ominous cell nearby at Alderley Edge.  Was dry here till 1.15pm.

Definite thunder heard again.

• Like 4

Posted

Rush2019 they appeared on Blitz for me

• Like 3

Posted

Chris.R   Yes, thanks, I had a delay on blitz for some reason.  Heard 4 rumbles, edge of cell came into view, structure quickly fragmented. 

20240416_135113.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

I'm right under this streamer,persistant heavy hail for over an hour now has left a very decent covering,plenty more to come too looking at the radar.

Edited by gregior
  • Like 3

Posted

Dry and sunny

• Like 3

Posted

How, have they missed this much rain in the forecast? Absolutely throwing it down here and looks set to carry on all afternoon. Just been to Ashbourne for a meeting and it was really nice there until I was heading back through Leek. Almost biblical rainfall.

• Like 7

Posted

tricol   I'm a stones throw away, had a bit of rain 1.15pm, been dry since.  Sat on the edge of this activity, can see your dark clouds to my south.

• Like 3

Posted

Yea, it's tracking right over us from the north. Temps really take a dive when these fronts arrive. Our garden is now 3/4 under water, it slowly grows after every heavy rainfall. We've ended up with a garden that we probably can't work on this year unfortunately.

• Like 5

Posted

To my East is blue skies, to the West is the ever imposing TCu showers making their way southwards across Cheshire. The Cat & Fiddle webcam has some good views across the plain with the rain-train in full steam.

• Like 4

• Bank Holiday weekend weather - a mixed picture

It's a mixed picture for the upcoming Bank Holiday weekend. at times, sunshine and warmth with little wind. However, thicker cloud in the north will bring rain and showers. Also rain by Sunday for Cornwall. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-05-02 07:37:13 Valid: 02/05/2024 0900 - 03/04/2024 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 02 MAY 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F

Risk of thunderstorms overnight with lightning and hail

Northern France has warnings for thunderstorms for the start of May. With favourable ingredients of warm moist air, high CAPE and a warm front, southern Britain could see storms, hail and lightning. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow