Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands regional discussion - Winter 23/24

Posted

Amber warning doesn't surprise me. Some pretty big totals just to the north and east of Stoke on the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Based on what I've seen in the MOD thread, it's well and truly time for this pathetic excuse of a winter to do one. For those getting snow tomorrow, make the most of it!

• Like 1

Posted

I'm about 30 miles south of the warning! What are the chances of a sudden shift south of the cold air tomorrow morning? I'm clutching at straws here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Met Office has me down for 10 hours of heavy snow tomorrow.I’m just south of the Peak District.Interesting times ahead.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold

I won't throw in the towel (just yet) for this winter season until the Met Office change their long-range forecasts. 

If they do, it would be all the more disappointing given the seasonal model forecasts and the apparent optimism (especially earlier on in the winter) of usually conservative members in the MAD thread about favourable background signals.

Edited by Midlander

Posted

MattStoke massive fail for the model at just 36 hours out!!meant to be a higher resolution model but what is the point if its getting things that badly wrong at a ridiculously short time frame!!!!one to keep in mind for future events similar to this one!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

sheikhy The GFS had this nailed down on Monday when the UKMO was going against it. Now the other models have backtracked to what the GFS was originallly showing then.

Edit: Well, the UKV looks good 🤣 but I don't buy it. I guess I can't write it off until tomorrow comes, but i'm not getting my hopes up.

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

MattStoke its the hope that kills us 🤦😂 And there is always one model that seems to enjoy giving us that hope.

Personally I think other than high ground and the north of our region most of us are looking at transient period of snow. Between 6 and 10am.

Temporary accumulations possible 1-5cms but quickly washed away by evening. For those a touch further North and on higher ground perhaps 10-15cms. Hills around Buxton I'd imagine 20-30cms. 

Posted

andy_leics22 I said 4/5 days ago in the model output discussion that the gfs in my experience and for our area at least seems to be the one of the main models to get things right more often than not when it comes to these marginal events.

• Like 1

Posted

we're still in the game. Most likely won't amount to much but there's a chance. Will be nice to at least see some snow falling.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Cold, Thunder, Heat

Met office is mostly snow for me now, the BBC app is still steadfastly saying sleet all day though. It says that for Stoke too though, where the snow is more nailed on, so hopefully it's just wrong.

Posted

Can we get that amber warning more south 🤞🏻💪🏼💪🏼❄️❄️❄️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

The UKMO actually has it down to start as rain here and then turn to snow around lunchtime, then back to rain 😂

ukmohd_uk1-42-35-0.png

ukmohd_uk1-42-30-0.png

ukmohd_uk1-42-25-0 (1).png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

sheikhy The warm front looks quite a bit further north on the UKV 12z than the 06z judging by these temperatures on Thursday morning I think.

Screenshot_20240207-145256_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240207-145301_Chrome.jpg