Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

*Stormforce~beka* you're in Clagshire though. I swear you literally never have sun 😫 

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

cheese Overcast but dry on this side of the Pennines, temp struggling today, currently at 6.7°C.

*Stormforce~beka* The tiniest scrap of blue sky here lol. Blink and you’ll miss it.

C82BA361-F476-4E23-B5BD-53616BEC31C6.jpeg

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

cheese  Yeah that cold March/hot summer quirk is an interesting one.

Adding to the good spring/poor summer trend, 2020 was like that as well. After that stunning April and May we had that vile July. 
2023 similar too but a bit later with the great June (and May for the west) then the vile July.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
3 hours ago, HurricaneSteve said:

But what happened to: "Fog"

Had some this morning, and I think quite a few other areas had it last night but yes I think in winter it's getting less common as they become less settled.

In spring and early autumn when it's calmer, does still happen, but I guess it depends on how much high pressure dominates in months and seasons as a whole. Also need a lot of moisture for it to form as you say, so fog is usually most common under high pressure in winter or later autumn. Following rain and if it's calm in the same night, get fog like last night but that doesn't seem too frequent either.

Edited by Metwatch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Another badly forecasted weekend.. Saturday was meant to the best of the weekend, rode my bicycle all day from AM to PM and got wet on and off, nothing more than drizzle but pretty much as forecasted. By Saturday evening, about 7.45pm and about 5miles from where I parked my van at Woodhall Spa, were I would be spending my evening; it began raining, more than it had all day. From the moment I got in the van till maybe 6am in the morning it just rained continuously, nothing especially heavy, just constant!

After getting up and out the van many times for a wee; rain does this to me I finally woke next morning to more dullness and with another few hours of riding I expected the weather to be even wetter than the day before. Much to my surprise it didn't rain a drop further, in fact the sun came out near Belton, Grantham and I enjoyed a lovely tail wind all the way back to the van.

As an outdoorsy person the lesson I have learnt quickly from the weather forecast is a) expect the unexpected so always take a rain jacket and b) the weather is never nearly as bad the weather forecasters make it out to be or your mind thinks it's going to turn out.

Edited by Richard Lake
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Oh yeah the sunshine made a very brief visit, but gave you a sense of Spring being around the corner - but the cold wind reminds you we are only in mid-winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

SLEETY we all know how this'll end. Massively watered down to an average spell of chilly wet weather. Hopefully those Iberian highs prove to be stronger than expected and keep the cold away.

• Like 3

Posted

HurricaneSteve Yes I’ve noticed we don’t get as much fog these days even compared to 10 years ago. Probably due to less pollution, low emissions etc. I remember we used to get some days in winter where it would be foggy all day.

The winds have been very light this weekend though, at least here anyway. Not a lot of sunshine though, a little bit yesterday, none today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

East Lancs Rain funny thing is where I am in Manchester fog is pretty rare and it's a polluted suburb let me tell ya, you can sometimes smell it as you leave the house. Numerous busy main A and B roads, M60 that cuts through it too. South and west Manchester gets a lot more fog than here with them being even lower down. I'm in a funny place, below the snow but above the fog. Although it is a frost pocket due to cold spilling down off the Pennines.

Edited by Dark Horse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

TheOgre I find this quirk is a bit like the warm September / naff winter link. Works a lot of the time, but too many contra examples. Likewise, not all warm Marches lead to poor summers… 2022, 2014 and 2003 come to mind.

Edit: just to add, you rarely get a good March and a good May.

Edited by MP-R

Posted

MP-R I don’t think there’s ever been a cold winter after a warm September though. Correct me if I’m wrong.

4 hours ago, SLEETY said:

and here comes the change to winter again  as winter ends,😏

Yes, it’ll be Sod’s Law we get a cold March and/or April with winters weather at times but for coldies it will be too little too late, and also annoying for people who want spring weather. A bit like the 1 week of hot weather at the start of September after a poor July and a mediocre August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
5 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

s, it’ll be Sod’s Law we get a cold March and/or April with winters weather at times but for coldies it will be too little too late, and also annoying for people who want spring weather. A bit like the 1 week of hot weather at the start of September after a poor July and a mediocre August.

If we do get a cold spell I can't imagine it'd stick around for long, based on the track record of winter so far. Most likely it'll deliver a few days of slightly colder than average, inevitably rain, before a southerly element pierces through again. The BFTE comparisons are growing tiresome as there's simply no support for it. We don't have the same buildup of significant cold to our east that we did back then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

East Lancs Rain tbf the hot weather in early September definitely wasn't too little, too late - at least for me. I'm still in summer mode until late September.

Dark Horse I would say that fog is pretty common in Leeds, especially in spring when we get high pressure and a slack easterly flow. I tend to associate warm/hot weather in spring with foggy mornings and sunny afternoons. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

The first Spring like morning with a pleasant temperature, sunshine, birds singing and an all round uplifting feel. Unfortunately looking like being the last for a while though as we are plunged back into Maraianas trench levels of light again from tomorrow so better make the most of today!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1