Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted

Oh for a change in wind direction

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

johnholmes It's grim isnt it John? Ironically it has changed here today from easterly during the first 10 days but its to northerly, so not much better.

Still haven't gone above 9.7C yet so far this month, though that will change soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

baddie We can only hope. Seeing how constantly unsettled it's been since the last equinox perhaps there will be a major long-term settling down come the spring equinox, 2020 style?

• Like 6

Posted

Sun Chaser Maybe a 2021, due to an SSW upon us. A warm and sunny spell on the 22nd-26th March then a cold and snowy Easter, followed by a cold, dry and sunny April???

• Like 1

Posted

baddie That would be great. April 2021 is the driest April since 2011, would be much welcome after such a wet last 9 months. Mild, sunny days with hard night frosts.. one of the best spring months I've experienced to this day. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and Snowy Days

Another glorious day of cloud, wind and rain..... Which has been my copy and paste of late to my friends and family around the world for the last 6 months. Utterly depressing and hopeless. I need that gif of Bill Murray in Groundhog Day "It's raining....Again"

If the water companies fixed the pipes, they could give the water away given how much we've accumulated! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

*Stormforce~beka* 1st and 2nd were sunny at times, but 1st also wet. 3rd, 6th, and 8th all mostly sunny. 7th sunny at times.

So the first 8 days or so had reasonable amounts of sunshine, but perhaps they just seemed very sunny after the endless dull we've endured since around January 20th.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

baddie which GFS? 00z run looks terrible until about the 20th but then consistently anticyclonic.

Won't save it from being a very wet month but at least the post-equinox period might be nice.]

(LATER EDIT: I guess you're talking about the 18z. I see what you mean).

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted

So the clearance from the weekend low never reached here, despite being visible to the west as early as around 3pm on Sunday.

Yesterday completely overcast (but dry, at least) and now the 8.5-month old deluge has recommenced. Many models showed around a 36-hour fine weather window a few days ago, and some of the more optimistic ones extended that to 2-3 days.

For a combination of wet, dull and above-average CET, these past 8-9 months must surely be historically unprecedented. Every month from July to March inclusive will end up wet with above-average CET (assuming a prolonged northerly plunge does not happen late this month), and at least 5 of them (Jul, Aug, Oct, Dec and Feb) dull too. Possibly the most anomalously southwesterly 9-month period on record?

So I do hope the change signalled in some runs next week does happen. We're I suspect on the brink of a major flooding crisis and it really needs to turn dry-ish to avert big problems.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted

SussexSnowman More like 9 months! 😉

• Like 2

Posted

baddie God please no! We don't need snow and we don't need cold, not in April. What we need is warm and dry, for a change.

Edited by SunnyG
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

baddie Doubt it. By this point I wouldn't even be surprised if 2024 is wetter and duller than 2023 overall

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I think serious consideration should be given to the possible temporary closure of the mod. thread as a humane gesture to end the suffering. 🙂

• Like 6

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons I'd be prepared to place a bet on 2024 being the warmest, wettest and dullest year on record, such is the continuation of this seemingly endless pattern.

Certainly if it doesn't turn settled next week it'll be the worst Feb-March combined of my lifetime, by a country mile. Nothing will even come close.

If we get a summer typical of the 2015-23 period this year and an autumn typical of the 2019-23 period, it will be probably the worst weather year I can remember, beating even 2023. The window for settled weather is now narrowing; April-June really have to be good as I don't hold out much hope for the second half of the year, on recent form.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Summer8906 Horrible, if so. Am really hopeful of some above average sunshine months this year. In all seasons

• Like 5

Posted

Torrential rain still ongoing here since I woke up at 6am. 

Fields, ground, rivers etc must be at capacity now. (Numerous flood warnings out) 

We really need a dry, hot summer to sort this… Farmer back of my house says it’s worse it’s been since ‘2014’

• Like 8

Posted

SunnyG Cold and dry would surely be welcome after this endless dull, wet weather. An April 2021 repeat would be an absolute dream, on all levels. For one thing, it would prevent spring flowering ending ridiculously early, which there is now a real risk of if it doesn't turn colder soon.

Just as long as May-August don't follow 2021, of course.

• Like 3

Posted

Polaris Incidentally, such heavy rain must in itself be unusual for March? Particularly in a location such as Woburn some distance from the sea?

This time of year, above all others, is perhaps the time when heavy rain is least likely to happen, due to relatively cold seas and still cold land - yet it happened in 2023 and is happening again now.

I wonder if it's due to warming SSTs, so that a wet spell in March is more like what a wet spell in December (with higher SSTs) "used to be"?

(And of course Oct-Dec wet spells, when the SSTs are even higher, are nowadays even worse...)

Just hope climate change isn't turning the UK into a dull, rain-soaked land of misery.

Edited by Summer8906