Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

What a strange day this has been. One minute the wind is blowing at speeds you'd expect in an autumn storm, the next minute it's humid and warm and far too much for any kind of jacket. Truly one of the most bizarre days of my life, climatically speaking.

I saw 20.6°C at Santon Downham earlier, so 21°C may have been reached around 2pm. Nothing from the Met Office yet.

Think I'll start with a San Miguel today, it'll be refreshing in this humidity 🍺

20240406_155249.thumb.jpg.45ccb207a1c3b80fab17072ac8661787.jpg

(I know it's in a Corona glass, I don't have a SM one, sue me)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
14 minutes ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

You must have, because the long terms accurately predicted a wet and mild storm track barrage

So wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

Summer8906 We're now in the part of the year where Atlantic systems are largely going to be deflected from the British Isles most of the time, so anymore prolonged, autumn-style rainfall patterns are becoming significantly less plausible. Not impossible but less and less likely as time goes on.

A continuation of these mild, humid conditions with high SSTs into the warmer months of the year will likely bring humidwaves a la 2019 or 2020 with rainfall coming as short, intense bursts instead of hours-long deluges.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Mapantz I have no idea which seasonals you looked at but all the ones I saw went for a pattern that would produce the wet and mild conditions we did end up seeing. Snowfall anomaly charts supported this. The miserable winter was predicted from a mile off but we stuck our fingers in hoping that teleconnections would be better predictors.

This is getting boring now so I'm not going to keep going back and forth with this subject.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
Just now, CryoraptorA303 said:

A continuation of these mild, humid conditions with high SSTs into the warmer months of the year will likely bring humidwaves a la 2019 or 2020 with rainfall coming as short, intense bursts instead of hours-long deluges.

Honestly looking more and more likely that we'll see an exceptionally warm and humid summer, I'd imagine that tropical nights will absolutely smash the record this year. Likely plenty of lightning storms too, all while retaining a heat and humidity level that could rival Hong Kong.

• Insightful 1

Posted

Much as others have said, a truly bizarre day here. Reached 18-19C or so this afternoon. The feels-like being similar to the actual temperature is not surprising - the wind chill is cancelled out by the humidity, so we end up about where we started. Still felt very odd for April, more like a poor day in early June.

From a stats perspective, one of those days that you can easily see the potential that was there if we hadn't had so much cloud and humidity today. When the sun was out it felt very warm, more like late May or early June. I could easily imagine that under different circumstances we'd be talking about 25C today quite widely, maybe even higher than that, say with clear blue skies from 6am all day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

CryoraptorA303

No, it wasn't. 

I don't know what planet you're living on, but it isn't this one.

Did you even venture in to the post mortem thread? It discusses what 'went wrong'. 🤦‍♂️

Posted
7 minutes ago, raz.org.rain said:

I'd imagine that tropical nights will absolutely smash the record this year

Really wouldn't surprise me either if we got a prolonged nighttime heatwave like August 1997 on drugs, with 33-36°C daily maxima for a consecutive week or more and several tropical nights in a row.

Even more crazy if July 2022's minimum record is beaten by such a heatwave; if the wind is blowing and this occurs in early August, and SSTs have remained so anomalously high, it's not implausible that coastal and urban locations could stay extremely warm overnight with the right kind of humidwave.

11 minutes ago, raz.org.rain said:

all while retaining a heat and humidity level that could rival Hong Kong.

😬 Think I'm smashing the emergency glass and staying in Edinburgh for the week if that happens 🥵

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Pretty much as I thought it would be, a very August 2019 feeling day. Windy but warm. Just another example of the modern rubbish synoptics that plague us so often. If the malevolently grey feel of 2024 continues I hope it at least protects us from any of those hot spells you’re on about. 🤣 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Thankfully the wind has pegged back the temps for what could have been a bit uncomfortably warm so early in the year.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

In my area, this has been one of the worst "20c" days in living memory when all factors are considered. Zero sunshine, strong wind, forecast completely wrong, ugly messy sky, hype of a "lovely spring day" coming ...only thing missing is a bit of rain to put the icing on the cake!

The forecast of sunny spells all day was so unbelievably wrong and this added to the pathetic inaccuracy of all weather forecasts lately, I think the current method of forecasting should be scrapped. It ain't working. If anything, forecast accuracy has decreased exponentially over the past few years. Hope the pay is crap for these "forecasters". The one profession where you can get it wrong 320 times a year and still keep ya job!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
2 minutes ago, SunSean said:

In my area, this has been one of the worst "20c" days in living memory when all factors are considered. Zero sunshine, strong wind, forecast completely wrong, ugly messy sky, hype of a "lovely spring day" coming ...only thing missing is a bit of rain to put the icing on the cake!

Don’t worry mate, that bit of rain that you’re missing isn’t a million miles away from you now;

IMG_1018.thumb.jpeg.32d9e07329f6ec1dae4968a080228d65.jpeg

But yeah, I agree with you.  Give me sunshine and average temperatures any day over cloudy, grey, breezy but warm temps.  Just want rid of the constant grey skies really, don’t really care about temperatures for now.  Alas, the next working week looks more of the same as to what the previous 43976 working weeks have looked like.  One has to wonder whether a warming atmosphere & a warming Atlantic are making cloud/rainfall much easier to produce?  Maybe summer will produce 35c but cloudy days?  🤣🤣

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

All in all not a bad day mostly dry and a few brighter spells,  windy though so missus got a big washing out 😄

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

AWD Oh God, that really would seal it 😂

Yeah it's all just unbelievably boring. Weather used to be pretty interesting but the past year or so has just been pretty much the same crap every single day! 😴

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

A better day than I expected today. Very breezy, but with a few sunny spells that made it decent, without being too warm. Got the washing out on the line, and the combination of sun and wind dried it in quick time! Given the recent downpours, today was pretty good 'drying weather' generally. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Summer weather

Recorded 19.8c today, just shy of the 20' a few others got. It really didn't feel like it though, with a strong wind from the south, so I'm happy to reserve my first 20'  for a more pleasant day

Posted

The cloud has let up just in time for a gorgeous sunset here... It must be about the third sunset I've actually seen all spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

AWD 35°c and overcast is quite the experience. Not what you expect in this part of the world.

edit: although I'd say it's more than possible given the synoptics

Edited by raz.org.rain

Posted

GKfiL6UWsAA4Rsx.thumb.jpg.57338f24b24f0c461e3bb9f5f7c1ab71.jpg

Official Met Office press release. Five stations reached 20°C today, with Santon Downham barely missing out on 21°C.

Also, can someone let the Met Office know that Humberside hasn't existed for 28 years and Hull is in East Yorkshire?

2 minutes ago, raz.org.rain said:

quite the experience

An experience I don't wish to endure in my lifetime 🤣 32°C and overcast back in September was already bad enough.

Edited by CryoraptorA303
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

SollyOlly Great, thanks! Really good beer. Definitely recommend Brew York if you like ales. 

Gordale Scar fantastic also. Ideal hiking weather...16c/17c, mostly sunny, some bracing wind to keep you cool. 

• Thanks 1