Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted

Lovely day here nudging 19c should be warmest day of year so far sunshine and warmth lovely 

• Insightful 1

Posted

Mostly dull but pleasant and calm today so far. Hoping for some sun later but this is the best we can get for now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Alderc 2.0 That'll be a very sunny period for you, nice! 

I spent a 4 month entire summer with an ex-partner some years ago in California (she was from there), was so wonderful to have so much useable weather and waking up daily to sunny, bright mornings, not having to worry about whether it'll randomly, suddenly become cloudy and rainy en-route to the beach, etc. 

It's crazy how much you can actually get done in such conditions, too. Productivity goes through the roof. I learnt to surf, for example, in a short span of time purely because of the weather conditions meant I could practice daily with ease.

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

B87 Ah, the dreaded 1961, which has been mentioned before as being a similar combination of mild and wet (a rare combination for April). No surprises there though interesting to note the concentration in the 60s and 70s, as you say.

Interesting 1983 is not on the list, as I recall that being very dull. But there was I think about 5 days of fine weather just before mid-month, so I guess that made all the difference.

1998 completely lacked any sustained sunny spell (which has been rare since 1980), so I can see why 1998 might be duller than 1983.

Scorcher The joys of being in the Welsh rain-shadow I guess. I've noticed SW-lies are a good deal less dull in northwestern England than down here in the south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

TwisterGirl81  Interesting Devon is so sunny at the moment, I'd have expected the dull to be even more intense than here!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Summer8906 The difference being that 1961 had a very nice March. The only sunny months in the entire year were March, May and June, with the rest of the year being dull.  

2024 sunshine has pretty much exactly matched 1959 so far. April 1959 only had 139 hours of sun, but then May to September each had over 200 hours of sun.

Posted

Summer8906 Yes we can do quite well in a SW flow as long as there's a good breeze. We're effectively in the rain shadow of both Snowdonia and the Clwydian Hills in this setup.

It tends to be poor here when the Azores High ridges further north and we're on the northern edge of the high without much of a breeze to shift the cloud.

Edited by Scorcher
  • Like 2

Posted

B87 Yes, I remember reading that about 1961, when looking for possible other occasions with a long run of wet months. March 1961 terminated an 8-month run, we then regressed in April before a 2-month fine spell in May/June. The summer overall was a typical early 1960s cool, dull but not especially wet one, I think.

Are we really on a par with 1959? I thought 1959 was one of those years when just about every month was fine, until October when a transition to a much wetter regime took place.

Alderc 2.0 Ah fair enough, wasn't sure where in Devon.

Alderc 2.0 I'd be quite happy to see the temp drop a bit if only the sun would come out!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Summer8906  it is dull here now, clouded over late morning 😞 the sheer cloudy days we’ve had let alone rain is just ridiculous, hoping for brighter days soon for us all 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Summer8906 the cloudier weather in the south today isn’t really much to do with the SW flow, it’s because there’s a trailing weather front that been slow to clear. 

A few sunny spells now though, cloud is breaking. Feels very muggy. 

Edited by danm
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Currently in Southall, West London and;

IMG_1030.thumb.jpeg.39c200207ecbe7c4333da386a8ef046d.jpeg

yep, exactly the same as how I left Somerset a few hours ago.  Cloud follows me everywhere.  Not a fan of SW’rly winds personally, regardless of whether they’re HP or LP oriented.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

@B87Absolutely praying the 1959 similarities continue through the year!

@TwisterGirl81Just posted my sun table in the sunshine watch thread and noticed your area was in the bottom 10, so must be even worse down in Devon at the mo!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

SunSean 1959 vs 2024 sun

Jan: 76.2 vs 76.8

Feb: 54.8 vs 52.5

Mar: 103.9 vs 102.5

Apr: 139.1 vs 28.5 (to 10th)

May: 221.4

Jun: 231.6

Jul: 276.9

Aug: 240.0

Sep: 209.2

Oct: 150.1

Nov: 53.0

Dec: 30.2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Back home in NE London and the sun is coming through now. 

IMG_2266.thumb.jpeg.4c79fce0788cebe5e52d75b75b6bc098.jpeg

• Like 1