Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
Posted (edited)

Much better up here today after yesterdays grot. Mostly blue sky with some clouds with high teens forecast possibly 20 tomorrow and Friday. Not heatwave but nice after the poor weather all spring.

IMG_1460.thumb.jpeg.4daef6dc58ff60602db124391b6c7b08.jpeg

Edited by Northwest NI
Add pic
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
Posted (edited)

Me seeing people everywhere else in the country mention 20 degrees ☹️

IMG_2162.thumb.png.33f7c52a2aedf4619c2d184d68db2cf3.png

Edited by Sun Chaser
  • Like 1

Posted

Clothes out on the line this morning, not often that has happened this Spring. Next week looking very good all round in my view with pressure high and hanging about. Lets just forget about this Spring and move on. We might stretch reasonably good weather out to May 20 from next week which will lift the mood.

• Like 3

Posted

17145585247518775429169605390138.thumb.jpg.dc4cb52e985af38e60de572176da68e3.jpg

Not too bad here at the moment, it might not last, but if I get a cup of tea out in the sunshine for a bit, that's a good day. 

• Like 2

Posted

According to met office Somerset remains under cloud for the foreseeable future. Looks like the south-west and upper east coast will be complaining while everyone else basks in warm spring sunshine. 😪 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
1 hour ago, Summer8906 said:

Very surprising, one would think Edmonton with its extremely continental location would have a much higher frequency of very warm or hot days. Hot air from the Gulf of Mexico can penetrate up there completely unencumbered over the Plains, presumably, without any moderating cool-ocean influence.

Bear in mind, it's a very long distance for the air to travel, so it undoubtebly loses a lot of its heat on the way. Edmonton is also quite far uphill, over 600m, so that will nerf hot air by some margin.

And cloud amounts are presumably much less, hence more sunshine, hence higher temps even without a supply of hot air.

Not overwhelmingly, although it is somewhat sunnier than the sunniest parts of the UK.

Not to mention, Edmonton is much closer to and has no ocean between it and a large source of very cold air, so it can still be sunny there while also being cold, even later in spring and early summer sometimes. On the inverse, summers in that area are the most wet and humid time of year, so quite often the hotter days get cloudy and muggy quickly. At least, that's how it appears in the stats, a lot of the hot days also have a significant amount of cloud most of the time.

Wonder how the 25C days compare?

Honestly, at a quick look, they seem less common than in London. It seems that it's rare to get more than three or four 25+°C days before being interrupted by a cooler spell that can last at least a few days in turn. You really have to go down to Calgary or further south than that to start seeing a reliable number of 25°C days in the average summer, and even then it's not guarenteed. Really only further southeast in Canada has reliably hotter and sunnier summers than the UK.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Northwest NI That's alot better than pretty much all of England, Wales and Scotland! So congrats 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

In Absence of True Seasons

just the setup at the minute.

Benign flabby low pressure system with widely spaced isobars in this location allowing for warm sunny spells. I’ll take it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
Posted (edited)

Quite a hilarious live cloud map of Europe atm. Basically spotlessly clear in the Baltics, most of central and eastern Europe (perfect conditions for Russia's invasion in Ukraine, eh?) whilst UK, France and parts of Italy etc wallow under dross. These big regional disparities keep occuring. 

Screenshot_20240501-122737~2.png

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 2

Posted

The south west really struggling, some place just into double figures. To be honest it doesn’t get any better in Devon and Cornwall until the weekend and even then not great. Almost no sun, plenty of rain and temps of just 11-13C for the next few days - Here in Dorset not that much better. Parts of East Anglia could still get 21-24C today and tomorrow! 

• Like 2

Posted

Alderc 2.0 it looks like that might switch around for Friday, with east Anglia getting its share of rain, and the south west seemingly far away from all that. There seems to be a mix of weather for all this week, which I think helps people in some way. Last May when west was best, I seem to remember a large handful of members in the East, were pretty close to going totally insane! 

Posted
Posted (edited)

Could be worse! (Pigeon photobomb alert!)

PXL_20240501_114612709.jpg

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
Posted (edited)

End of April comparison, last year versus 2 days ago. Foliage defintely ahead especially with the sycamore in the centre back. This year even slightly ahead of end of April 2021 as well, but I think end of April 2020 was by far the furthest ahead in the last 5 or more years given the consistent warmth of that month start to end.

image.thumb.png.d73285d774a0ad31b2772f0a5fd64b84.pngimage.thumb.png.c73a395b464952fa7b75fa553ddc4846.png

There are a minority of few trees only just starting to come out, and will do another comparison of another tree here (still unsure on species) for the 5th year running which I usually do in opening days of each May. The recent cooler period has slowed down some tree leaves coming out, should speed up again this week, but if the mild conditions from the first half had continued through all of April, we would have potentially have been ahead of spring 2020!

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Downburst Yea I hung mine out yesterday for the first time this year! Never hung them out this late before

In Absence of True SeasonsAlright for some ...

Jon Somerset I'm not!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

Nice here now, about 17c mostly sunny and hardly any wind.

Posted

richie3846 This is the same as last year for me. Stuck in the middle I get it from both sides! I get the Wests cloud today and then come the weekend I'll get the Easts!Feick me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
Posted (edited)

Unfortunately it's not that impressive today here. 17.5°C at East Malling so not bad for the time of year but it's also quite overcast, and at 77% humidity it's uncomfortably muggy as well. Reminding me of mid-May 2011 a bit.

Edited by CryoraptorA303

Posted

Well April was a good month here. I use good by the 2023 set standard and not the pre 2023. Pre I would have said it was dyer. However ... I saw a whole week of sun a week or 2 back. Albeit hazy beggars can't be choosers ... So based on the fact I haven't see a week since last Sept/Oct makes it a good month!

Posted
Posted (edited)

*Stormforce~beka* Indeed, it's been an improvement on the last two months, even if it was still dull and wetter than average. For most of the south outside of Cornwall this April will end around 110-130% wetter than average, which is a long way down from the 200+% of February and March, so scaling from that, for the south coast May should be the first drier than average month of the year at around 55-65% average rainfail. There appears to be cross-model agreement on a thunderstorm making its way over the region in the next couple of days which will be expected to bring 10-20mm to the area, so this would imply either the rest of May will have to be notably dry or the thunderstorms will have to be significantly weaker than forecast to end at 55-65% average.

Of course, this is the Shareholder's Fallacy, and in reality the weather will do what it wants, but proportionally for most of the south, April was significantly drier than March or February which is a marked improvement.

Edited by CryoraptorA303
Just noticed the misspelling of "rainfall", however I'm going to leave it as it's accurate in this context :P
  • Like 3