Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

B87 I guess you look at it from a statistical perspective which is fine. I’m really not bothered about what has happened until now. I’m bothered about what happens during the rest of Spring and Summer. If we get good amounts of warmth and sunshine, but it’s not enough to get the entire year at or below average, I don’t really care so long as we get the good weather. 

We probably will finish 2024 wetter than average considering we still have Autumn and December to come. I just want a good Summer. If 2024 still ends up wetter than average due to the wet Feb, March and April, then so be it. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
Posted (edited)

danm I would usually be happy with a 1996, 2001 or 2005 style summer.

This year it needs to be, at a minimum, something like 1959. Ideally 1976, 1989, 2018 or 2022.

I don't want to see any of the summer months cooler, wetter or cloudier than average.

Edited by B87
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
Posted (edited)

Frigid Yeah it really is quite something. 

As I always say, it seems we can never *all* enjoy a warm, sunny and dry spring day as an entire country. There's always some regions that get lucky, and others who draw the short straw. Shame. 

On that note though, I also do think that's one of the main reasons why there's consistently so much discourse on here about how good/bad a certain month or season was - it honestly can vary significantly based upon location. Obviously there's a level of subjectivity at play too, but I think it's more a case of genuinely different conditions panning out across the month, than us all disagreeing on whether it was good or bad.

May 2023 was a prime example of this - fantastic in the West for example, and absolutely shocking here in the East.

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 4

Posted
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, B87 said:

I don't want to see any of the summer months cooler, wetter or cloudier than average.

I don’t either, I really hope we get a good Summer. But I’m also comfortable with the fact that Autumn and Winter will likely be wet enough that means our entire year is above average. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 1

Posted
Posted (edited)

danm I never mind when October-December is wet and cloudy, I expect it.

I don't expect to see 11-12 months of the year being wetter and duller than average though. 

The only way this year could redeem itself is the following:

May 2020

June 1976

July 2018

August 1995

September 1959

October 2011

November 2021

December 2016

Edited by B87
  • Like 5

Posted

B87 agree.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

danm Yes I do agree with that sentiment in part. Statistics are statistics but, for me, it's more important *when* and *how* said rainfall and sunshine hours accumulate, than the stats in isolation. An "above average sunshine year" doesn't necessarily reflect the experience of that year, if the vast majority of that sunshine stat comes from, say, Jan, Feb, March, Nd then Oct, Nov, and Dec, and April-Sept was dull. 

Tbh, I would actually take an "above average rainfall year" if that rainfall predominantly fell in Winter and Autumn, and it meant a mostly dry, sunny April to Sept period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons As long as the dry and sunny summer months actually feel like summer, as in August 2016 or 2019, and not like September or a warm October, as in August 2007.

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, B87 said:

This year it needs to be, at a minimum, something like 1959. Ideally 1976, 1989, 2018 or 2022.

If only the weather gods cared or listened about what type of season people wanted (and this very much includes cold winter seekers, too)! 😒

What are you going to do if we get a 2012 repeat?! 😲

• Like 3

Posted
Posted (edited)

Don Hope we get a sunny and dry repeat of September 2023, with a 20c dry and sunny October and a dry and sunny 15c November.

Then 2025 following 2003.

At least 2012 had a decent March, 2nd half of May and September.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

Wynn D Woo mine are just about to burst open. Tomorrow I expect

IMG_8007.thumb.jpeg.29f2fd012771e60ea1830180a5f3f6a9.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

What an awful day! I would expect clear skies with the wind from the South! But nooooo somehow we get more atlantic carp!!

• Like 2

Posted

Ghastly day, unrelating gloom and temps not even in the teens. Same for tomorrow, we may see the sun a few hours on Saturday before Sunday and Monday looking totally overcast again. Will be struggling to average an hour a day of sun by the time we’ve got to the 7th. Along with that temps don’t reach average until Tuesday at least. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

danm Even where I am I've been stuck under the damn thing! It started 2 days back. I had a sunny morning then from afternoon onwards it's just been cloud for the past 2 days now. I do hate being here getting cloud from the east and now just like last year the cloud from the West!

danm Even where I am I've been stuck under the damn thing! It started 2 days back. I had a sunny morning then from afternoon onwards it's just been cloud for the past 2 days now. I do hate being here getting cloud from the east and now just like last year the cloud from the West!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Very poor day here. 14C and overcast, not even a glimpse of sunshine. Thought there might be some thunderstorms this afternoon, but don't see it happening with such extensive cloud cover.

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons totally agree. Ideally I don't want a year with above average rainfall, but if it mainly occurs, as you say, between October and March, and we then get a good Spring and Summer, then it doesn't really matter as much. Obviously that isn't what we've had for the last 18 months - it has largely been persistently dull and wet. 

So I'm not really bothered now about needing a significantly below average rainfall run of months or significantly higher than average run of sunny months just to balance out the stats. I just want a decent, largely warm and sunny Summer. I'm not asking for drought conditions. 

*Stormforce~beka* we're under a weather front. Doesn't really matter which way the wind blows, until this sods off it'll be cloudy. 

• Like 3

Posted

21C here, quite the shock given this time last week we were stuck in single digits. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Posted (edited)

Summer8906 Worst thing is that most eternal autumns that last through winter abruptly end around the March equinox. Not this year, it went off to produce a dull and wet April, and still more rain to come in the next few days. Late-May is the new late-March

Edited by baddie
  • Like 1

Posted

I'm just walking to school 13c and the cold wind is back 

• Like 1

Posted
Posted (edited)

Ahh, the UK. A country where you can get 21c and sunny and also 10c and thick cloud at the same time with merely a few hours drive apart. 

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Amazing feel to the weather here today- 21.2C at Rostherne our local station.

Feels very summery with a balmy breeze. Bit more cloud around now than earlier but still sunny intervals.

Some amazing contrasts on the east side of the country. Only 10C in Sheffield supposedly which is only about 45 miles from here.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

In Absence of True Seasons This is me treating myself to a cold one today but two days back it was heavy rain and heating on lol

IMG_8009.thumb.jpeg.c3212bb14e4f9989ea7453a8b180c680.jpeg

*Stormforce~beka* it will not last. Your area is great in high summer where mine is quite dodgy in July/August.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1