Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Harsh Climate That ain't necessarily so. My expectations are very low every winter and, still, most winters fail to meet even those very low standards! I don't expect raging NE'lys. Just the occasional spell of snow that brings 5 or 10cm IMBY

I do agree with the point, in general, though. Things have been so underwhelming this last decade that we have been programmed to think mediocre set ups are now good as the goalposts have been moved so much

Edited by LRD
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow

Harsh Climate To be honest, I'm not very happy with that chart. It is way too fragile for long lasting cold. Over snow cover in southern England it is great, but I see the vortex already regathering.  A Northeasterly is a better chance of keeping the cold than this synoptic setup imho. EC is worse than GFS control for next Thursday but cold in the end. Overal the models are improving and we'll await ensembles

• Like 2

Posted

The outputs remain frustrating regardless of the snow fantasy charts of the GFS and ECM.

They’re acceptable as in there is some potential but there’s no northern blocking and the depth of cold is marginal.

I think the juries still out at this time . The low which moves in from the Atlantic is still subject to revision . The ECM manages the great escape between day 9 and 10 .

We don’t have weeks to spare in terms of winter and so for this reason tonight’s outputs are scored with that in mind .

An average score of 6/10 .

• Like 8

Posted

AO-

I'm not looking at that chart as exactly what is shown in fine detail though. I'm looking at it vaguely and picking a few important details out like it will be locked in cold (for a bit), the Azores high has migrated way south and hints of a continental feed into the south.. 

Obviously though if that chart verified 100% it would be pretty poor in terms of snow chances, but you know what it will be much different this time tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Anthony Burden said:

ECM showing all of UK under the 528 dam 192 hrs onwards not bad considering no reliability on high level blocking.

There lies the problem Anthony. It's not sustainable. The GFS ensembles show a 3-day cold snap (disagreeing with MOGREPS) and then show a split - likely because the blocking is flimsy. We might get a mid-latitude high I guess, which would not produce anything like what most on here want

image.thumb.png.be3cf3030bf8f79e9ac029803fd4a595.png

Edited by LRD
  • Like 1

Posted

Harsh Climate Got to politely disagree - a brief 3-day dip below average (IMBY) and then a split. Goes back to what I was saying before in that we've been so starved of winter weather this last decade that we think mediocre output/actual conditions is/are now good

That March 'spell' (if you can call it that) last year was a classic case in point. 3 days of slush and wet snow is now considered good. I'm not invested in winter weather any more but, even though I'm not, I still find that a little bit sad and depressing

Edited by LRD
  • Like 5

Posted

Anthony Burden Sorry, does what?

Not getting into it cos it's the wrong thread but the Met Office outlook, how I read it, is becoming weaker regarding cold. And the output kind of reflects that.

Let's see what Ec46 brings tonight cos it's been the one consistent hope for seeing winter this month. It might be consistently wrong, of course

• Like 2

Posted

I thought the ecm..was pretty good maybe 7/10 ..it's probably about the best we could get out of such sypnotics..limited northern blocking etc..but I do agree with blizzard LRD etc...that at the moment it's looking a bit of a flash in the pan..more of a cold snap!

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, LRD said:

Harsh Climate Got to politely disagree - a brief 3-day dip below average (IMBY) and then a split. Goes back to what I was saying before in that we've been so starved of winter weather this last decade that we think mediocre output/actual conditions is/are now good

That March spell last year was a classic case in point. 3 days of slush and wet snow is now considered good. I'm not invested in winter weather any more but, even though I'm not, I still find that a little bit sad and depressing

I agree. The winter bar is so much lower these days. I get why people do it - It's a coping mechanism. 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, LRD said:

MOGREPS 12z - good for the north

image.thumb.png.077a00b2cebcaec568f2649467f0c9cd.png

image.thumb.png.dd3ec2c913083c9294a23a35f17203bb.png

Meh for the south

image.thumb.png.dbb96d1ffcb7c739c9c8f64df2671c00.png

image.thumb.png.84321759bec050e34bffec3e692ee95e.png

And something in the middle for the middle of England

image.thumb.png.62e972ef83f55bc54cca225d14c54d10.png

Pretty much the same kind of picture UKMO 12z is showing

Unconvincing and the Met Office mid and long term outlook seems to be diluting cold. But chances for cold still there for the south from about Day 8 (I know, I know) onwards

Where can I check this for my location? Many thanks. 

• Like 1

Posted

EC46 still shows high pressure anomalies around to our north and NW but it now appears to be much closer to us. It's a subtle shift but it's there

The cold temp anomalies are still there for week of 12th but have been watered down that week and following weeks

Pressure anomalies:

Week of 12 Feb

image.thumb.png.5c6dd9c73dcea169fd0b187116b8ff6c.png

19th Feb

image.thumb.png.ac7e159a7ef1cfa5165d688a6502b753.png

Sorry, I know it's not what most of us on here want to see. It's still not bad but it's just not as good

Edited by LRD
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow

Well, another update with regards to the output for here of EC tonight. The EPS hasn't improved, but neither downgraded compared to this morning. Next week will be below average of the mean would come to fruition. It is a nice signal. Most scatter is on the mid term around 7-8th February.  

To show the evolution I added tonights ensemble compared to the one of this morning, yesterday and Wednesday. Certainly heading in the right direction, but certainly not wintry for here. For Britain better, because of a bigger chance of snow next week.

eps_pluim_tt_06280 (11).png

eps_pluim_tt_06280 (13).png

eps_pluim_tt_06280(8).thumb.png.4bdad0754d46ee1db8646967b9e254a9.png

Edited by AO-
Something went wrong with downloading the right file. Now the image is correct
  • Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, LRD said:

That March spell last year was a classic case in point. 3 days of slush and wet snow is now considered good. I'm not invested in winter weather any more but, even though I'm not, I still find that a little bit sad and depressing

Fair enough we all have our own perceptions of what is good. If good is seeing those beautiful charts that get people excited, so be it, but these nirvana charts often lead to disappointment 7+ days out.

All I am looking for at this range is trends, certain things being put in place and decent/good output progressively been brought forward closer to T0. 

*The fact that northern parts of UK are at risk of a snow dumping thursday to me is good (perhaps not for those in the south)

*There may be snow on it's back edge late Thursday/ Friday or snow showers being pulled in behind from the NE for a short time.

*Azores high goes way south, pressure rises/wedges keen to build in our part of the Northern Hemisphere

* -5 850 uppers quite widely, (colder in places) in a blocked set up with no Atlantic onslaught likely.

All this at the T132 ~ T 240 Range, being realistic what more can we ask for?? Anything past this period in such a messy set-up with little model agreement regarding large scale feature specifics surely have to be pure Jackanory surely??

Like I say steady as she goes, but ovcoarse people can view the output how they please, all input is welcome and adds to healthy discussion.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Harsh Climate said:

Fair enough we all have our own perceptions of what is good. If good is seeing those beautiful charts that get people excited, so be it, but these nirvana charts often lead to disappointment 7+ days out.

All I am looking for at this range is trends, certain things being put in place and decent/good output progressively been brought forward closer to T0. 

*The fact that northern parts of UK are at risk of a snow dumping thursday to me is good (perhaps not for those in the south)

*There may be snow on it's back edge late Thursday/ Friday or snow showers being pulled in behind from the NE for a short time.

*Azores high goes way south, pressure rises/wedges keen to build in our part of the Northern Hemisphere

* -5 850 uppers quite widely, (colder in places) in a blocked set up with no Atlantic onslaught likely.

All this at the T132 ~ T 240 Range, being realistic what more can we ask for?? Anything past this period in such a messy set-up with little model agreement regarding large scale feature specifics surely have to be pure Jackanory surely??

Like I say steady as she goes, but ovcoarse people can view the output how they please, all input is welcome and adds to healthy discussion.

The one thing I would say is it looks far better for you than me

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, sebastiaan1973 said:

For the week of 19th February, an increased warming compared with earlier this week. 

Schermafbeelding 2024-02-02 210845.jpg

Was just going to say that - not great with the height chart 19th feb, losing low Europe anomaly but a major SSW now looking more and more likely, need it to really hurry up and have an almost instant effect on the trop though as time running out..