Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

northwestsnow are you referring too 850’s?

I would say a little less cold 

IMG_0163.png

IMG_0161.png

• Like 3

Posted

That ECM I think @northwestsnow is probably referring to the push of more marked higher heights to the north and northwest on the 12z EPS.  Synptically it looks better than this morning.

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

mulzy yes that’s better.👍

IMG_0159.png

IMG_0157.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM 46 looking good re pressure patterns.  Zonal winds:

IMG_8661.thumb.png.a4e5a167b005c506b8c3f16d3dca454d.png

Fewer members today going for the  technical SSW than yesterday.

IMG_8660.thumb.png.1409ba238924d23d40e6e88e9e02903e.png

This chart suggests we’ve made it into phase 8 on the actual data.  The model would have us back in phase 6 by day 5, but I remain suspicious of that!

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2

Posted

Evening all 🙂

A lot of eye candy on offer tonight - the 12Z GFS Control takes the cold potato award with classic retrogression which of course never happens.

The key seems to me the build of heights in mid Atlantic after the LP has gone through the British Isles - doubtless rain for lowland East London but I'd like to think someone somewhere to the north and especially with some altitude is going to get some snow.

Huge amounts to be resolved and GEM OP shows what a non event would look like.

The 10 HPA charts suggest a stratosphere in some distress and the expulsion of the vortex shown on the 12Z GFS Control is a thing of beauty. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Due South or perhaps quantify one's post with more info than one line of text? 👍

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

northwestsnow

Eps also an absolute stunner, cold all the way on the 850's graph, greater longevity than recent suites, as showing on Mike Poole's clusters post.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

A very good set of ENS 12z for ECMWF for extended cold trending better than 0z.

ens_image.thumb.png.f3b7aae51e89f2566cb760e7066f6431.png ens_image-2.thumb.png.13ab3ade253223c511ee8ead22e92fa4.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

northwestsnow

Make no mistake if anything spectacular happens on a weeknight, i'm there Granby & tory club, don't care if i have to sleep on Saddleworth moor in blizzard conditions.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild, sunny winters/stormy, snowy winters and warm, dry summers

Uncertainty Bye bye Gulf Stream and say hello to extreme cold flooding in from Siberia which can’t be stopped by westerly winds!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Uncertainty

i prefer the NH view,...stunning😍

gensnh-0-1-360.thumb.png.4ba5451fbdf5991764d6a1c6d8775822.png

and what follows i dare say is from the NE a few runs later,...yes it's jff in fl but other models are picking up on this signal.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Uncertainty if you look at the 850' s not great coming in from North sea , snow high ground , all academic though that far out.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Thats more like it!!

ens_image-2024-02-03T205304_189.thumb.png.6625730c8c00a55e5f53355df9febb20.png

...yes in la la land but how often do you see a chart like this from any model ?

gensnh-0-1-360(2).thumb.png.ef9bde731538152a74ec49ca5688a58e.png

....nice to look at anyway...

• Like 9

Posted

Interesting ensemble runs tonight. Until recently we've been seeing GFS showing more cold potential than ECM as a rule, and tonight it's the reverse.gfs-london-gb-515n-0e(42).thumb.png.c16d273a25d824f7a4bd5e5cba0b5936.pngecmwf-london-gb-516n-0e(21).thumb.png.2f56f9eed353fe1a41138c7b28db0ed8.png

gfs-newcastle-upon-tyne(20).thumb.png.606211b955305283dcbb610322fe5e87.pngecmwf-newcastle-upon-tyn(11).thumb.png.bcc3d5bee97939a4c75cc3b5c1c7038b.png

Still a striking amount of variation as well. On the negative side from a cold perspective, there's not a lot of runs showing very deep cold to guarantee snowfall (-10C 850hPa or lower), and there is also some possibility of a more significant warm sector around the 8th-10th even further north, which would probably wash away any snow.

However, on the positive side, there are a not more runs going for a longer cold spell, with some chance of temperatures remaining significantly below average until around mid-month, possibly beyond.

In terms of meteograms, I think for the south it's a tall order to get snow down to low levels with this - temperatures still in the 5C range by day even on the coldest days going by the mean for Reading. For Newcastle, maxima could get down to around 2C, which gives a much better chance of precipitation falling as snow in the first place, and then remaining on the ground for a while.

The wind plumes also show the uncertainty, though it is clear that the models are now latching on to an increased chance of northerly winds in the extended. Still some variation, and small changes will matter. A north-easterly could make things very cold, whereas a north-westerly would be more the default winter option - a little colder than average, likely mostly rain and sleet away from high ground.

image.thumb.png.22028f558bb49f4ad74ea4f15ece2f38.pngimage.thumb.png.eae444a0aca9d853a05d791cf2e91f50.png

Details still, even at this stage, too fine to be worked out.

Again, we've seen this before, so as long as milder options remain in the ensembles I'd be loathe to dismiss them, even though they're not what we want to see. Definitely an upgrade tonight though compared to last night.

Still more time to go on the sea surface temperatures as well. T+0 for the North Atlantic vs. T+360 is below. As long as these are going down, it's not over yet.

image.thumb.png.de057be03c487d1d6aa6c20d989a6832.pngimage.thumb.png.0547ba1b5ec6d25cb2233686eb6fd9e8.png

In anomaly terms, the Azores warm blob remains for the foreseeable, but nothing too out of the ordinary in our immediate vicinity. If anything, a cold anomaly to our north and east, which may be useful to us if we do get a second bite of the cherry in the second half of February. Again, wild swings possible from cold to very mild.

image.thumb.png.35af5e4e514284914f893a8965a3041b.pngimage.thumb.png.5e902fc4c352f9d55b3d8b9b343dc61a.png 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted

I can’t see Thursdays system correcting v far south unless the phasing in the Atlantic changes significantly. As this is only day 3/4 I’m afraid those hoping for a notable correction south are likely to be disappointed.  Still a day for a wtf moment but it’s a long shot 

• Like 4