Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Met4Cast

That's what i always thought, but there has been times before where it has died into COD and re-emerged in a phase not far away from where it died.

• Like 2

Posted

Jacob but where do the pieces fall ??  Not well for us and the 06z looks similar thus far 

recovers late on to make a better split than the 00z and the trop profile reflects that with a building Atlantic upper ridge 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

There are one or two promising charts I can see around D9-10 this morning from the GEM and ECMWF but these are more "if they ran a couple of days further beyond D10 type charts" (which equivalates to straw clutching in a way 😛 )

The GEM towards the end of its time frame has a huge bulk of HP moving slightly towards the W/NW of us which may suggest something of a colder note thereafter

image.thumb.png.4d44db6eccd4689da05b4f9993e13336.png

ECMWF somewhat similar but less pronounced - but interesting to see some sort of cross-model similarities 

image.thumb.png.078ad0148bfe248163c0be714f3fca35.png

GFS nothing like the above though

image.thumb.png.57fd3907cc964b951bd5b79fa47a3f27.png

ENS across the board are all a tad disappointing, although the very back end of the mean for the GFS doesn't look all that gloomy to be honest

image.thumb.png.92be716053cb1d93fdab749031b2bdbc.png

The ECMWF clusters appear to have lost the signal for more general northern blocking - it's still there on some but they have all gone a bit everywhere to be honest (may not necessarily be a bad thing?)

image.thumb.png.5f9f9dc9facfc2edc3e31c23f2450b0f.png

Agree with others - not waving a white flag yet. I often feel mid-Feb to mid-March can bring some notable cold spells if things add up. I feel like this period on the law of averages has better potential than December. As a kid growing up through the 00s - 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008 all favoured the colder conditions post mid-Feb and for me as I was getting into climatology at the time this mid Feb- mid March period has just kind of stuck in my own personal experience of a period I look out for for colder weather, I fully acknowledge it doesn't happen every year.

Some picks of model output from the above aforementioned years just so the above comment is somewhat still on topic with the thread

image.thumb.png.25d23ac6aa8bb48272df64dcec348833.pngimage.thumb.png.dae4c7921de242292d4b0a465a43250b.pngimage.thumb.png.b98786af5f8f5b1adbe8e05b60c60c1a.pngimage.thumb.png.fcb2865eeba2c2f7b0d1dc5470f6f204.pngimage.thumb.png.12909e5eb215123fdd0c16f2c3323625.png

Just because the outlook at the moment is a tad frustrating - and indeed its been a frustrating model thread a good deal of the time this Winter - it doesn't mean that this reduces the chances of a colder spell as we head further forward - it's not as though the weather and the charts have a memory and are playing some sort of game with us here in this thread - they'll just do what they do - not much cold of note in the next 10 days but beyond that and until mid-March we can still quite easily get something of note, no question. 

GFS 6z op tries its best to get something of interest or eye candy in deep FI, doesn't quite come off but interesting to see nonetheless 

image.thumb.png.1d7ac9962165d0089090e7f038080526.png

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Blessed Weather

Interesting, thanks for the link I'll give it a read later this afternoon! 

The SSW seems to be triggered (assuming we do indeed see one, here) by the MJO but also (perhaps more likely) by the recent strong +EAMT event increasing heatflux right up into the stratosphere.

gfs_nh-ehflx_20240207.thumb.png.9bbfd74e7fed1404362ee6fae74cef11.png

There certainly seems far more evidence supporting a SSW this time around compared with the previous attempts this winter but without a QTR (this is another uncertainty) we'd be looking towards late February/early March for any potential impacts. I'm not seeing anything within extended NWP modelling to suggest an overly exciting QTR, usually you'd expect to see at least a couple of outrageous runs from GEFS ensembles but they've been relatively muted, the same is true for the EPS. 

MJO forecasts are currently quite uniform across. modelling, slow meander through phase 7 before a low amplitude phase 8 follows, albeit these are of course not factoring in any potential impacts from the (again, assuming here) possible SSW

Certainly quite a complicated picture unfolding but in any case, I'm not sure many would be happy with winter finally arriving in March just when some much needed warmth is wanted..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

northwestsnow and we all know what that Elephant is. It must be interfering with all the great signals we have had for cold. Can only see this getting worse as tge climate heats up even more 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
44 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

There are 6/7 decent ensembles at day 9 a bit like these, but I think people are just fed up so not seeing the possibilities here. I think some rapid swings to better Synoptics are really quite probable. 

Totally agree, just gone through them all, no need to write anything off yet. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
2 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

. It's all well and good removing posts when they don't read what you want but the reality is as a model output discussion

It is, so what is wrong with posting charts? So let people discuss the charts that are posted ???

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
15 hours ago, Rain All Night said:

12z deterministic runs, Thu 8th to Wed 14th (day 7)

We were due a reprieve, and at least in terms of "dry" and "potential", these runs are that. There is still room for doubt, since it is only in the last two frames that pressure really starts to build properly, and there's no guarantee that it will build in the way that the ensemble means below suggest that it will, but it's at least showing fairly uniformly across all five models shown here, though the UKMO leaving some of that low lingering to our east is an interesting variation.

animbbe7.gifanimuuv2.gifanimrcl2.gif
animksa5.gifanimdzm0.gif

12z ensemble means, Thu 8th to Sat 17th (day 10)

Since the full ECM ensemble is still loading more slowly than usual and I need an early night, I'll just take us up to day 10 this evening. It's a little odd seeing ECM as the least supportive model for a strong Scandi high tonight, given it has generally been the most enthusiastic about high pressure (be that to the northeast, northwest, or over the UK) for the past few days. At day 10, the mean surface pressure contours are just about coming from the Atlantic side. Still, it's just one run, and the GEM ensemble is looking very shiny indeed (albeit not stonkingly cold, for those that way inclined).

animqxt4.gifanimgfc1.gifanimeum4.gif

0z/6z deterministic runs, Thu 8th to Thu 15th (day 7)

It's the battle of the bulge with those southerly surface contours over the UK at day 7. I want to see them curving to the west to indicate resilience against the Atlantic influence, but only ECM and maybe GEM are really obliging with this.

animlem8.gifanimxyr0.gif
animabn7.gifanimcul5.gif
animhvx1.gifanimpsq7.gif

0z/6z ensemble means, Thu 8th to Fri 23rd (day 15)

The ensembles still suggest that height rises will prevail against the Atlantic mid-month, but the signal for these heights to go on to become a significant presence to our northeast or northwest has weakened. From about 20th Feb onwards, the mean heights recede, and we begin to see frames showing the mean surface pressure contours tracing from the Atlantic to the British Isles once more.

animhvk8.gifanimjhb0.gif
animlqo3.gifanimmms5.gif

Edited by Rain All Night
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

The GEFS 6z doesn't look horrendous in the latter stages - plenty of members flirting with -5 uppers including the control

image.thumb.png.10b9d066d6aff0d432297d58df2dbaea.png

image.thumb.png.9c10d4b1c0e5ca3d8efad3eb6dc2f918.pngimage.thumb.png.04119edfdbfc078e93be0b82ba26d826.pngimage.thumb.png.4549a95655ac88ce6ceef7594b8ef764.pngimage.thumb.png.b096e6f2a451a4fb42ba3f3b295f55c4.png

The operational was one of the more milder in the run. I keep seeing this recently - the op just consistently seems one of the mildest members vs its ensembles - not sure why this is, it just seems to consistent recently. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

MJB nothing at all, you're twisting my words.

Im allowed to vent i speak truth only. When ones obsess it misleads many into thinking this particular path is the outcome yet in reality a+b doesn't make 3. 

And if it can go wrong it will.

Many haven't seen a fake this winter

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The GFS Control shows the cluster that gets the Alaskan ridge>Alaskan high>Arctic high direction of travel in the post D8 period:

animbtb5.gif

This is our best hope based on the current NH pattern of getting some cold. But even then we have to wait until post-D14. The GFS op shows what happens with an Alaskan ridge>Alaskan high>Pacific wedge>Arctic high passage:

animbax9.gif

This has been cluster of late. Leading to a delay of several days with a UK high then retrogression post D16. That would take us close to March.

• Like 2

Posted

Daniel* It's interesting you think the position of these transient anomalies have such a linear response. It may be as simple as measuring wind flows from a particular direction. It is much more complex than that. In any case I was responding to the fact that there is a north and south Atlantic and trying to remove some doubt on a simple geographical fact.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

This, of course, is very much cherry picked. It's going in the "will not happen" pile, but the fact that the models are suggesting it as a possibly in February is quite frankly ludicrous. It's reminiscent of those 15° isotherms we saw back in September. Something that was once laughable now growing closer to reality.

Probably the last thing we want to see, but evidence that spring is indeed on its way. In my opinion, it suggests a trend for the weather ahead.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow!

Isn't it extremely interesting that we are having the same weather set up that brought more than 1m of snow in the south of Norway, just one month later?

AVN_1_2024010100_1.png This is 1st of January

ECMOPEU06_78_1.png This is on Sunday

Is this something driven by global patterns or just pure luck?

• Like 4

Posted

image.thumb.png.902fc8533654cc821005ff8604936cdb.png

06z shows the road we are taking but there is so much scatter from the 18th i think anything goes, what the long range shows well they haven't been spot on really this winter to be honest.

i think we'll see a pattern change soon.

• Like 3

Posted

Lukesluckybunch looking likely, and icon in the same sentence??  I’d wait for the rest of the runs first!! 

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

looking likely, and icon in the same sentence??  I’d wait for the rest of the runs first!! 

Sorry ali..I was commenting on the icon alone..and yes better models on the way!

• Like 1