Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted

There seems to be quite a shift away from cold and dry, to mild/very mild and wet over the last day or so, in the modelling.  Caused by what?

Capture.thumb.JPG.e3fbfc3d95a19a7e7a318087591e45d0.JPG  Capture2.thumb.JPG.a251db1e8e911d2ba6ad6dc61e151903.JPG  glbz700MonInd1.thumb.gif.c980ec9ebb03a53c3a03f4bb04d0e349.gif

Even the ECM which may show colder air for next weekend, seems to suggest to me that the Atlantic is ready to come back with those uber-mild south-westerlies.

240_mslp850.thumb.png.54b9928e8f8c4dd020b5edd7ac681c85.png

Do I remember correctly that SSW responses are often initially westerly-driven, until the easterlies/northerlies drip down into our level?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
22 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

It is still the leader.  The verification stats show the ECM first, UKMO second.  Of course, the GFS, ICON, and GEM have the occasional victory, but overall, the Euro's still lead the way, but are not infallible.

Perhaps the stats will change , because the ecm is not the player it was...😑

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

It’s perhaps quite telling that despite a huge amount of spread on the EPS, only 1 or 2 ensembles suggest the -10C isotherm. There is a complete lack of a signal for deeper cold within the model suites. 

IMG_5127.thumb.png.6d3176fab52785513859f139defe6b97.png

• Like 5

Posted

Jason M Oops yes I do. Obviously getting over excited at the output.

• Like 9

Posted

Met4Cast All that highlights to me is after the 15th Feb we have huge scatter.

I'm very much keeping an open mind for the rest of this month. I keep reading the teleconnection signals are disappointing but some members are forgetting a very simple fact about this time of year. This is whatever the signals may or may not suggest, a cold spell and high latitude blocking is always more likely in Feb, March than Dec, Jan.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

GFS at day 9 is now starting to look like the day 9 ECM, albeit a tad slower

image.thumb.png.b4d86daa29691e9217b9e56ed79a9c46.png image.thumb.png.3004144e5e1f66d8f17a00830c4a278d.png

• Like 5

Posted

The models seem to be converging on the overall pattern .

So that small wedge to the nw , low to the east with a shortwave running east across the UK .

The upstream troughing ejects eastwards and then we see heights lifting to the ne and high pressure moving into the Arctic from the Pacific side .

Theres a chance we could see a change to colder conditions for the last third of the month .

Surely something must go right ! 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Lift off at day 10 on the GFS 6z.  And west of the UK, just.

IMG_8737.thumb.png.705e41848924f3b3f55f0a96217365b4.png

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 8

Posted

Really liking the ECM and gfs 6z

For mid month onwards could we be seeing what the met have been banging on about for a while now ❄🌨👍

• Like 4

Posted
53 minutes ago, TEITS said:

We need these to ejaculate SE

🤭

Anyway, a much improved 6z with cold north easterlies from day 10.  Let the rollercoaster start again.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

blizzard81  I know the ECM and what is showing today is 2 lot of peoples liking. However, this winter has not covered its self in glory. Although it’s good continuity from last night, I have noticed with ECM it for this winter. Always manages to blow up at the last minute T90 6T 120. So anything the ETM showing on today’s runs, I would take it with a huge peach of salt The GFS has a habit of blowing up Atlantic laws however, this winter, I think it performed quite well.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

He he! Check out the warm sector through Peterborough :

image.thumb.png.130d0bc5f9ac9d309f139e8d290f1fe3.png

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Gowon said:

The difference between the GFS runs:🥴

We swap the dartboard low..for Icelandic high!😂

1 minute ago, Gowon said:

he! Check out the warm sector through Peterborough :

Damn!wouldn't want to be in that zone!😂

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Gowon and it's always the 06z bringing the fun...what would we do without it?

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

TEITS made me laugh when I read it Dave.  

Going forward as the 06z shows I think a quick switch will occur and models generally aren’t picking up on it yet.  The difference between 0z and 06z is shining example….vastly different

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

Daniel* Haha yes the waiting patience game - until we all lose patience but by then the cold has disappeared by then probably 😛 

To be fair though, while the majority of the GFS eye candy in the 6z is indeed beyond D10, it very much begins and sets up before then, as per recent ECM, GEM -

ECM +228 

image.thumb.png.808305f4b7d1a4e5cba5c93a46dac24f.png 
GFS 

image.thumb.png.79c66fe0f5331853576850773050c9ac.png

Not too dissimilar at all. But this is still so far out - and I just get the feeling that HP is such a delicate little sector it may be so easily prone to moving elsewhere and less favourable for a colder spell. But the foundations are there on both the ECM and GFS at face value, and NOT at D10 or beyond, always a good sign. We need to see some consistency now. ~

At D10 the ECM shows the heights decreasing slightly already - not of a particular concern to me at this stage (as even getting them in place in the first place is the main concern for now). 

image.thumb.png.8fb95da9df554456fd313e06a376611c.png

But, into FI beyond D10 and the GFS really does crack open the lagers - in a pattern which is total opposite to its more recent runs in the last few days, with HP eventually sitting to our N/NW throughout a huge portion of the rest of the run, only shrinking/flattening ever so slowly - and therefore gives us some just for fun eye candy. It's not the most extreme El'ly in the world but those cold uppers hold on throughout the whole of that second week.

image.thumb.png.e822c63fd01fe84c581176de32e8418d.pngimage.thumb.png.7c0457c07575ee8ef24bc37a8c3b292c.pngimage.thumb.png.3c4461f53269ffda72f9b6330e0515b5.pngimage.thumb.png.822eb47ad3f8020bd38d9b06ba9030c1.pngimage.thumb.png.4146981ca3595d2b52dc547c434b0b99.png 

image.thumb.png.188428c8037f15b512195c3ce88d2256.pngimage.thumb.png.9cc28551c77c108d357c250b36096fac.pngimage.thumb.png.4765103b64afcad7225f2ca297d3e826.pngimage.thumb.png.8b85b0fcadb15a8f63e722e3b03c3bc4.pngimage.thumb.png.0e7baaa95fea489a95ca13b42f42d48a.png

The latter charts above show those cold uppers still holding on even after the heights have somewhat dispersed. 

All just eye candy at the moment - but, within D10 we at least do have some cross-model agreement for some sort of push of heights to our NW/N - this is the foundation, quite what happens after is anyone's guess - and as I said it all feels a bit delicate and prone to moving elsewhere - but GFS 6z I feel may go down as being one of the best runs in this chase, (in FI).. 

• Like 7