Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer

Lovely 6Z run from day 9 onwards but we are relying on a shortwave being ejected east from the parent low in the Atlantic to trigger the height rise to our west at 210 which is plausible but lots that could go wrong with this evolution much like this weeks low which headed north and splits. 
image.thumb.png.254d461a09b245414a9c6c0a75173b45.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

The GEFS 00z run has backed away from the idea of an SSW, looking very different from the previous runs.

GF5CX8jWkAAEN1f.thumb.png.7466436ae04edbb0cc1579ab2a9484b0.png

61% of members still suggest a reversal but this is down from 80%+ yesterday. 

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, jmp223 said:

Given up the chase this winter.  One notable week of cold at the start of December, but the lack of an amplified MJO when we needed it most really let us down, as well as the much predicted and hoped for (including by me), SSW around New Year. This winter has been an unmitigated disaster for coldies. Had great synoptics in play on a couple of occasions, but there was always one element that stalled or failed causing a domino effect which allowed for a mild incursion.  I wish you all good health, and will hopefully be back here toward the end of Autumn, albeit with tempered expectations and much less Bullish when it comes to Cold.

It has been like pulling teeth, hasn't it? 

Particularly given for the majority of this winter we've had a weak stratospheric vortex and it hasn't been driving the patterns, the troposphere has very much been in charge. We were in a very favourable position in terms of teleconnections in mid January for a continuation of cold/blocked patterns but then we saw a SSW (not a major one) reflect back, reshuffling the pattern away from something favourable and instead we ended up very mild and stormy. 

A fascinating winter from a stratosphere & teleconnective point of view at least, if not from a cold/snow point of view.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

jmp223 See you  in a couple of weeks 😉

• Like 6

Posted

Penrith Snow I don't think a sample of two countries show the UK is leading in warming over anywhere else. Perhaps you mean in the last 12 months or so over Finland?

• Like 2

Posted

As good as the GFS det was in the extended it doesn't have much support at all.

ens_image_php.thumb.png.598f02d11676da9ec61c231da2279710.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Well, there still seems to be some potential lead in the coldies' pencils yet acc. to ENS - prone as they are to flip of course! 😁

GFS 06z                                                                 ECM 00z

ens_image-2.thumb.png.5ffa9fb22b1dd28da6d75232e035768f.png ens_image.thumb.png.9c5250e6dde087b1028a5bec5f263ee9.png

Met4Cast  Ah so you're the half empty man 😉😁

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
On 08/02/2024 at 12:44, Rain All Night said:

0z/6z deterministic runs, Thu 8th to Thu 15th (day 7)

It's the battle of the bulge with those southerly surface contours over the UK at day 7. I want to see them curving to the west to indicate resilience against the Atlantic influence, but only ECM and maybe GEM are really obliging with this.

animlem8.gifanimxyr0.gif
animabn7.gifanimcul5.gif
animhvx1.gifanimpsq7.gif

0z/6z ensemble means, Thu 8th to Fri 23rd (day 15)

The ensembles still suggest that height rises will prevail against the Atlantic mid-month, but the signal for these heights to go on to become a significant presence to our northeast or northwest has weakened. From about 20th Feb onwards, the mean heights recede, and we begin to see frames showing the mean surface pressure contours tracing from the Atlantic to the British Isles once more.

animhvk8.gifanimjhb0.gif
animlqo3.gifanimmms5.gif

0z/6z deterministic runs, Fri 9th to Fri 16th (day 7)

I missed yesterday afternoon's runs, so I'm disappointed to come back and see these this morning, in particular the appearance of that potentially huge low off the coast of Newfoundland late next week. It seems there is an inclination for systems to be running from southwest to northeast, and there is no sign of the Scandi high that had been appearing on many recent ensemble runs. Unless that huge low pushes up some kind of ridge (see ECM and ICON), this doesn't look like a good spell of weather coming up - I had been expecting dry, if not cold.

animnjj3.gifanimcix2.gif
animdqw5.gifanimbvc8.gif
animrfs4.gifanimgnw5.gif

0z/6z ensemble means, Fri 9th to Sat 24th (day 15)

Most of these (with GEM being the notable exception) at least want to lift the Atlantic away for a few days from about the 17th Feb, but that's a little disappointing given the significant height rises that were being shown just a day ago. There are still some ensemble members that want to offer height rises to the west or northwest later on, but the Scandi high is gone.

animmie7.gifanimwrv4.gif
animwkf4.gifanimaxa2.gif

• Like 2

Posted

Met4Cast 61 per cent is still high. It could be just inter run variance. In any case if it doesn't happen it might be just as well if we see a repeat of what happened with the last ssw, albeit for different  reasons this time. I mean the last thing we want is an emerging cold spell through late February to be upended  by a ssw.

Posted

Bricriuwas back up to 74% after the 06z run 

if it’ keeps swinging back and forth in the 60-75% area then would begin to wonder a little 

it should gain traction with around a week to go 

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, bluearmy said:

it’s not a done deal by any means but I think this is where the modelling is getting the strengthening atlanttic profile from.

Oh I think it most probably is going by how winter and the strat have panned out so far!

Posted

Icon giving it a good go at height rises in the preferred places!a real good effort..not a million miles away from that real cold stuff!

Edited by Lukesluckybunch
Adding
  • Like 3