Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

Mike Poole  LRD https://charts.ecmwf.int/products/plwww_3m_ens_tigge_upper_mean?area=Northern Extra-tropics&parameter=Geopotential 500hPa

20240215114158-84d205822948a563f24b7ec1c0e04f0412d2d3ef.thumb.png.c6b464cf520366fab73b65b2a0005083.png

This graph shows the quality of each ensemble's probability assessments (i.e. the proportion of ensemble member runs showing particular outcomes for 500hPa geopotential heights). For days 11-15, the days of the extended cluster charts (hours 264-360), the skill level is only slightly better (on average) than just looking at the climate average conditions and assuming that those will verify on the given dates!

Explanation: https://confluence.ecmwf.int/display/FUG/Section+12.B+Statistical+Concepts+-+Probabilistic+Data#Section12.BStatisticalConceptsProbabilisticData-ContinuousRankedProbabilitySkillScore(CRPSS)

Trivia: This is the only verification stats chart I am aware of that includes any DWD model (in this case, the ICON global ensemble, from which although the output data is made freely available by DWD, I'm not aware of any model enthusiast site that actually publishes it).

Edited by Rain All Night
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

It's just occurred to me that the red solid line and the red dotted line on the graph above compare the ECM ensemble's performance in Autumn 2022 and Autumn 2023, before and after the ensemble's big resolution upgrade in June 2023. Interesting that this seems to have slightly improved its performance up to about to day 10, but then slightly worsened it (on average) beyond that!

Edited by Rain All Night
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

LRD yes..take your point...i have probably been as guilty as others at taking pressure anoms too much at face value..need to use them in conjunction with other charts....

TIdbits has mslp contours and anomalies..

gfs-ens_mslpa_nhem_65(1).thumb.png.e131bc8a006555afb4367a3d5fffe8fc.png

..this illustrates your point nicely with the low to the south of Greenland..however would be good if there was a chart that showed height anomalies together with mslp...i am not aware of one but i may have missed it...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

minus10 Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a pop at anyone who uses them. If it helps an individual interpret and come to their own conclusions then all good. There is more than one way to skin a cat. I just think they have to be used very carefully and with some scepticism

My personal tastes mean I don't like them, don't use them and take little notice of them. Temp and precipitation anomalies are a different kettle of fish of course. A massive pinch of salt should be taken with any pressure anomaly chart beyond 5-7 days. Even more salt than the everyday output

Edited by LRD
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

LRD wasnt suggesting you were mate..😃

• Like 1

Posted

Dennis It's very sweet of you to continue the chase on behalf of the UK, when you have already seen so much wintry weather in your location!

Edited by Rain All Night
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Dennis looks like you have been left on your own mate ! 

...good for you...keep flying the cold flag...😄

..edit see @Rain All Nightbeat me to it....

• Like 3

Posted

Dennis Interesting to view the NAO which correlates well with mean temps so far this year, two dips in early Dec and second/third week Jan but otherwise positive territory.. there was an attempt at a third dip last week but alas it went up again. The outlook is something closer to neutral, correlating with temps trending closer to average by months end with perhaps injections of polar maritime air. Nothing overly cold on the horizon for rest of Feb but after a balmy mid third, temps look set to resemble more seasonal expectations.

The atlantic has reigned supreme for months and despite a weak PV it has overcome any weak blocking easily. The latter stages of next week hold possible interest to those who like stormy conditions, could become quite wet and wild. In the meantime fans of mild grey wet dank dreary skies will be happy, by latter part of Feb I think many though will be cursing them after nearly 4 months of them! This February likely to go down as exceptionally dull in western Britain. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Thanks for those charts Dennis - looks like lots of chilly rain for the UK. Maybe some wintryness, occasionally, on northern high ground

Edited by LRD
  • Like 5

Posted

Tonight's GFS output looks pretty miserable, frankly. Not a lot to satisfy anyone. Looks less mild than of late - temperatures at 850hPa likely to dip a little below average at times, surface temperatures near average. Small diurnal ranges, and lots of cloud, wind and rain. Very little chance going by this of either further exceptionally mild spring-like conditions, or cold sufficient to deliver much wintriness.

gfs-london-gb-515n-0e(61).thumb.png.2b4f4752333f85be2edf4a33f4cd1faa.pnggfs-london-gb-515n-0e(60).thumb.png.ac1f7c56b1803ad5bbc0729248abe12a.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

Dennis and Kirkcaldy Weather too 

I agree with you. Writing off more any cold weather is a full hardy narrative. Especially given the teleconnections. 

Just because an SSW didn't reverse the winds doesn't mean to say it can't stretch or distort the PV.

It happened already in January 

You have to remember easterlies are historically rare for us. 

WYorksWeather trend is your friend. Down it goes 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

WYorksWeather it's too early to call winter over, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2013, 2018 , and 2021  some pretty significant snow events in March and into April.

We often have a back end loaded winter . The PV is there to be stretched and distorted . 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Are white flags in or out now? A promising day 10 ECM gotta laugh 😃 

ECM1-240.gif

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1