Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted

Ali1977 It is but the GFS tends to overstate snow. The uppers are okay but the direction of impact from the north-west is slightly shaky, especially because of the long draw across the sea.

Having said that, it’s quite normal to get snow showers in March and April from such set-ups if there’s sufficient velocity to the system.

Of note, the BBC Meteo Group forecast aren’t at the moment interested. 

• Like 3

Posted

TillyS What’s even more surprising is the mean for Friday morning - that’s a strong signal

IMG_3119.png

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

Ali1977 image.thumb.png.017bafe49fbf39b8adaed44eff3393f4.png

JFF Control is keen on something colder into March 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
19 minutes ago, knocker said:

Why should this thread become even more filled with teleconnections and Stratosphere talk?

Because they go hand in hand with the models, they provide context to modelling which can help to understand why modelling is doing what it’s doing, I don’t see how a bit of knowledge on that is a bad thing? 

The rest of your post is a little bizarre if i’m honest, nobody has suggested synoptic modelling can’t be discussed?

• Like 3

Posted

Met4Cast I wasn't aware that I was suggesting that knowledge in itself is a bad thing. What I was suggesting is that posting comments on teleconnections, Stratosphere/Troposphere interactions and synoptic meteorology all in the model discussion thread, is in my humble opinion operation overload and asking a lot from many punters, including myself.. And there really is no need for the separate threads in that case. I will leave it there as I realise my opinion is not welcome in here

• Like 7

Posted
7 minutes ago, knocker said:

What I was suggesting is that posting comments on teleconnections, Stratosphere/Troposphere interactions and synoptic meteorology all in the model discussion thread, is in my humble opinion operation overload and asking a lot from many punters, including myself.. And there really is no need for the separate threads in that case.

I think the separate threads serve well for more prolonged conversations but I don’t see an issue with highlighting various teleconnections or the strat in this thread given the role & importance they play in the weather & the modelling that this thread is for. 

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Let's please move on the what this thread is about, That is Model Output Discussion, Thanks all.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
16 hours ago, Rain All Night said:

12z deterministic runs, Tue 27th to Mon 4th (day 7)

It looks like a case of things getting worse before they get better... though at least these charts are a reminder that high pressure over Europe can yield, when it wants to.

animxsk1.gifanimyex6.gifanimmph6.gif
animjfa4.gifanimpkf6.gif

12z ensemble means, Tue 27th to Tue 12th (day 15)

Similar to this morning, but with that low signal to the southwest from the 8th not quite as strong.

animvzv0.gifanimukr7.gifanimkgr3.gif

0z/6z deterministic runs, Tue 27th to Tue 5th (day 7)

All looking pretty much as expected up to the final day or so, when the ensemble means leave me optimistic that the GEM solution without the high over Portugal will not verify.

animako7.gifanimijq9.gif
animnbn4.gifanimeds5.gif
animzvr6.gifanimxdh3.gif

0z/6z ensemble means, Tue 27th to Wed 13th (day 15)

I'm liking this! It seems our fortunes may be changing for the drier around 6th March (day 8). The mean surface low does start to look a bit more iffy around 11th March perhaps, but that's way out at day 13 so we can disregard it for now.

animquh9.gifanimioc7.gif
animhra4.gifanimbvk9.gif

Edited by Rain All Night
  • Like 4

Posted

Yesterday’s CPC MJO update suggests a return to the Indian Ocean before progression through the Maritimes as the cycle resets so further away from the typical “blocking” phases than originally anticipated, having said that the SSW early March could have some impacts on the MJO & thus forecasts are more uncertain than usual. 

IMG_5446.thumb.jpeg.b1a8657cc5b84aa05394bafb992cf176.jpeg

Assuming this is the direction of travel though, the next surge in momentum is fairly predictable with an uptick in frictional torque followed by a return to positive mountain torque values adding westerly momentum to the atmosphere thanks to the MJO progressing eastwards.

With that in mind, it continues to seem less likely that’ll we’ll see colder patterns establishing for the UK with high pressure early March likely to be too far NE of the UK with a rather active Atlantic jet hitting that road block, it could potentially be quite wet, especially in the north & west depending on exactly where any blocking highs set up before the patter, I suspect, quickly flattens out coinciding with this next momentum push. 

I see the Met Office extended is more inline with this & indeed with my thoughts posted yesterday morning a page back.

Any blocking is a result of the recent abrupt drop in AAM tendency as westerly winds are scrubbed, i.e increasing easterly trade wind strength. 

El Niño is on very thin ice now. 

Edited by Met4Cast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
WWW.BRISTOLPOST.CO.UK

The white stuff is expected to fall at the start of next month

image.thumb.png.4c067d3b75f5061d77c6f82cd8894e9d.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

raz.org.rain

Wonder how long this 6 inches an hour will go on for?, if it goes on all day, that'll be 144 inches of lying snow!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild, sunny winters/stormy, snowy winters and warm, dry summers

feb1991blizzard at least it’s not exacta weather‼️

Posted

danm Fridays snow chances are increasing i think 🤔 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

GFS 12z going with the easterly that was suggested on the clusters this morning from day 11. T264:

IMG_8817.thumb.png.027eb79bffe7732bd9827cb3c8faa7ff.png

T312, and the cold air finally beginning to make itself felt.

IMG_8818.thumb.png.13ef10bc1002135a872ac25abc5dd941.pngIMG_8816.thumb.png.673b76b2b800a727f3532988beb5cbbd.png

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.

Met4Cast wonder what the hovmoller plots are suggesting currently? I know that @Singularityis a master in that field at knowing with what they imply, but there's other people on this site who can notice things very well where that is concerned.   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Why is anyone still posting?.... Is it the Gfs 12z op?.... Yeah right,....give it up coldies, this winter was a joke of epic proportions!...roll on spring warmth and sun...  Yes, reverse psychology of course as i'm a die hard coldie.. 🤔. But, you know, even i know when to admit defeat!...at least we still have April!😂

• Like 7