Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

New UK January and Scotland winter temperature record

Posted

Something's not right on the MetO site. I just lookedup Kinlochewe and got this. There is no way it has a high of 27C!

Screenshot 2024-01-28 at 13.02.23.png

Edited by Fiona Robertson
Was the usual garbled mess.
  • Like 2

Posted

Nearly a degree above the previous record (18.3C) and almost 4C above the date record.

It shouldn't really be surprising these days but it is.

It also means December, January and February have all broken their records since 2019.

Edited by reef
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Incredible, but I suspect this will fly under the radar simply because of how localised the record is. Only 8.2C here.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
23 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

Something's not right on the MetO site. I just lookedup Kinlochewe and got this. There is no way it has a high of 27C!

Indeed. That has to wait for February... 😉

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

The most incredible thing to me is that area was probably getting dumped under constant heavy snow showers just 10 days ago, so they've went from winter to summer in the same winter month. Something i'd love to experience to see what that feels like in person.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

@MattStoke One day🤞

Also can we get to 20C?

image.thumb.png.8f3e0b04856f29b9f48ba2118e7017a6.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

I think someone last winter said it was impossible to get 20C in January.... if today doesn't make it it'll be very close!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

A new yr and already  warmth records are falling.  Another yr that little bit closer to calamity bit by bit by bit.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

@Derecho: I wonder if that was the same person who insisted that 40C, in summer, was also 'impossible'?

• Like 4

Posted

@MattStoke  Assuming the MetO site has not been hacked, this is indeed extraordinary, although in fairness Chris F did say they would be keeping a close eye on temperatures in the NE of Scotland today. I suspect the fohn effect has a lot to do with this and I think we've seen similar at Aberporth in N Wales at a different time of the year. It is certainly nothing like 19.2 here in S Cheshire where the wind has led to a distinct chill in the air.

• Like 2

Posted

Problem is that it's only around 9c in the NE of Scotland.  These are all in the far NW:

Kinlochewe 19.2      Cassley 17.2      Resallach 17.1      Loch Glasgarnoch 17.0      Achnagart 17.0

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Some news reports saying that it rose to 19.6C though I have not seen that verified yet.

A full 10 degrees cooler here to the SE of the mountains at 9.5C though still well above average.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

The 19.6 °C is now up on the MetO Twitter as a new provisional high.

image.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

Can only assume more of a southerly component to the winds at the north western locations for a foehn effect. 

Posted

@cheese it is very mild in other places further west such as North Wales- although not to the same extent.

The previous record breaking day in January 2003 (in Scotland) was also unremarkable for many places.

@Weather-history and 15C in Rhyl which is surprising given it's only 60 miles or so from Manchester.

Posted

I think this probably kills stone dead the idea someone posted in response to one of my comments only a couple of months ago, that 20C is unachievable in mid-winter.

I would now say that there is a low, but definitely non-zero chance, of recording 20C on any day of the year, with a warm airmass and Foehn effect. It is just a matter of time now until we see it in January and December.

• Like 2

Posted

Don’t forget that although official stations, they still need to be verified.  Presumably checking accuracy of thermometry, exposure etc.  Also, this is the same area as Achfary, site of UK highest recorded December temperature (18.7).  Once their daily readings are received they could be higher.