Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worryingly Wet & Worryingly Sunless

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
31 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

What's particularly concerning about the current spell is a combination of dullness, wetness and extreme mildness, going on for weeks and weeks

This is the issue. It's the consistent combination of these three things. It's just the most boring, uninteresting and useless pattern. It's like being in an eternal loop of November time. 

The weather for most of Feb and now March is more-or-less exactly the same as what we had throughout December (and November and much of October too). 10-13/14c, overcast and some degree of rain. There's no distinction between the months outside of length of daylight (vital extra hours to enjoy more wet, cloudy and mild weather). 

The only period in the last 4/5 months that has been a genuine break from this pattern was the wintry spell in Jan, which actually brought some reliably clear, sunny and cold weather for about a week. 

Imagine having the opposite...4/5 months of sunny, settled weather with just one week of cloud and rain in Jan, and the odd hour or so of rain here and there (akin to the odd hour or so of sun we have been getting in this pattern). A different world entirely, one can but dream...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

One look at the CET tells the story. We've been more or less around the 7c mark on that metric for the last four months, bar a spell in Mid Jan.

There really has been an amazing lack if variation recently.

I really do think it's fair to say we've just had a very long extended autumn this year.

Still patterns don't go on forever and they usually abruptly shift for better or worse so gotta keep an open mind.

Last spring for example, terrible March, totally meh April, may started off very wet but pattern shifted around the 10th and we ended up having a pretty sustained and decent spell. Shame it fell apart again in July.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

kold weather I don't think 2023 is the best example of the "patterns not lasting forever". The 3 weeks in June and September heatwave were really the only spells where dross was not dominant. August had some decent days here and there. 

2022 vs 2023 (and now 2024) is a far better example of pattern disparity. 2022 was predominantly sunny, dry and mild, whereas 2023 was predominantly cloudy, wet and mild. 

I am hoping the pattern will flip-flop back to drier and sunnier at some point this Spring. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

What would it take to have another 2003 style year, where almost every month was sunnier than average (and those that weren't - May and July - were still average).

We had the opposite in 2021, where every month except April was duller than average.

• Like 2

Posted

Just 17.2 hours here in the first 14 days of the month. Today has been a bit better, but it'll be a bit short of the 6.2 hours a day now required to just reach the 1991-2020 average of 123 hours.

Tomorrow was supposed to finally be a sunny day until the evening, but yet again the forecasts have gradually shifted so it looks like it'll be cloudy just after midday now.

Just what will it take to get a clear day from dawn until dusk?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

In Absence of True Seasons maybe it's a case of waiting for El Niño to completely fade? Then hopefully  a shift to dryer conditions will occur.  The warmer ssts of recent times I'm sure won't help though. 

Posted

Weather-history We had 65.2 hours in February, so just 82.4 hours since 1st February.

The last 10 days of January only had 17.3 hours aswell, so its just 99.7 hours in the last 43 days!

The 1991-2020 average for that period is about 162 hours, so just under 62% of normal.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

We think it's bad now but I just read a Met Office Monthly Weather Report for June 1964 that claimed it was the fifteenth successive month that was duller than normal!

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

Greyhound81 I wouldn't say August 2023 was autumnal, just very nondescript. Otherwise it has certainly felt that way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

John S2 Really? I've read that the melting Arctic would further weaken it.

The problem here is what in palaeontology we would call indeterminate findings. We only really have about 30 years of data and climate change is an ongoing phenomenon. It's close to impossible to try and predict exactly what's going to happen over the next century.

The other end to it is as climate change begins to accelerate even further, the warming may be so fast that present climates undergo total collapse and are replaced by something that has no analogue today. This would be impossible to predict and would only become evident once it happens.

And to top it all off, none of this has considered significant AMOC slowdown or collapse, although the chances of seeing this in our lifetimes is currently agreed to be extremely low, even despite a few recent studies suggesting it could reasonably happen. Assuming by the time this happens the world has already warmed by 3+°C, it would be frankly impossible to try and predict the consequences. The consequences of it happening right this second wouldn't be applicable as we'd already live in a vastly different climate than today.

The long and the short of it is a big question mark.

• Like 1

Posted

LetItSnow! Indeed, we have seen overall worse times in the past, but a combination of rose-tinted glasses and the whiplash from the oscillating extremes we see today will make recent undesirable periods feel much worse. In particular this miserable spell will be compounded by the socially, economically and politically miserable times we find ourselves in and will likely be remembered as overall one of the worst times of our lives.

It'd be interesting for someone to do a study of the nation's happiness over the years. I would be willing to bet 2003 and 2006 will have the highest levels of happiness in some time due to the "good" summers coinciding with generally optimistic times. 2018 and 2022 will be rated somewhat less well due to things getting worse over that time and a growing pessimism sweeping through the population. 2023 I feel would have the lowest happiness since the late 80s or perhaps even lower. The pandemic years of 2020 and 2021 should probably be ignored seeing as they will have anomalously low happiness due to, well, the pandemic. That I feel is reflected here in the attitudes towards summer 2020 - It wasn't that "good", especially July and later in August but it's nothing on July 2009 or 2023, yet it sees similar levels of derision when brought up. Spring being very dry, sunny and hot does not help its case. While 2021 gets a disproportionately good rap as the pandemic was, erm... "ending" around that time, even though in the south 2021 was clearly the "worse" summer.

Edited by CryoraptorA303

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

With half the month gone the sunshine total now stands at 13.2 hrs, that's  29% of the average for the first half of March and 8.7 hrs less than the first half of last March which ended up being the second dullest on record.

Edited by Terminal Moraine
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted

As I've noted on multiple threads and in a few posts, what at one stage looked like a sustained dry spell for about five days for the whole of the UK, starting towards the back end of next week, has now been downgraded to a couple of drier days around Thursday through Saturday, and that only in the south, before we get yet more low pressure.

The wait for a sustained dry spell goes on...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
WWW.FT.COM

Warmer atmosphere will continue to hold more moisture and contribute to rainfall, scientists say

IMG_2176.thumb.jpeg.27af633a6ab64c8128abc0d05e656b3b.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Bright morning here , sun now dissappearing😪

Posted

So depressing to be back in the gloom this afternoon after a glorious sunny morning.

We actually had a much better first week than many areas for sunshine with 33.2 hours. Since then we've only had 3.6 hours in total before today.

Is anyone else concerned we could turn into a warmer version of the Faroe Islands?

It's really been a remarkably prolonged dull period with no end in sight it seems.

Edited by Scorcher
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

WYorksWeather Quite frankly, and I'm sure those with more knowledge will point out I'm being unreasonable but still, I currently wouldn't trust the models as far as I could throw them. They feel like they've failed again and again in the last few months. Unless, of course, they were predicting weeks of gloom and damp, in which case they'll suddenly turn out to have the highest verification stats on record...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

CryoraptorA303 as far as I'm aware, the predicted trend for the jet stream is for it to be pushed northwards in response to climate change, there's a study for it that I've posted before.

The AMOC factor is an odd subject also. I've studied it somewhat extensively. The biggest shortfall of the theory is the over dependence on computing models and data sampling, as far as I'm concerned. Although I have noticed that the cooling trope has become muted over the past few years, with the more recent hypotheses conceding that a cooling trend would only be observed in winter and would be contending with anthropogenic warming. Of course, that depends on who you ask... Seager would likely still dismiss its relevance whereas others such as Chen & Tung would demonstrate that a collapse would actually cause accelerated warming in the NH.

Edited by raz.org.rain

Posted

Weather-history There aren't many other heavily populated areas of the world that could possibly record such poor sunshine stats. I certainly can't think of any.

There aren't too many densely populated areas globally that average less than 1500 hours annually. Yet we must be well below that for the last 12 months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 minute ago, Scorcher said:

There aren't many other heavily populated areas of the world that could possibly record such poor sunshine stats. I certainly can't think of any.

There aren't too many densely populated areas globally that average less than 1500 hours annually. Yet we must be well below that for the last 12 months.

how many densely populated areas in the world are on a island subject to to the Atlantic and one of the biggest weather streams on the planet??.....climate change is only going to reduce the sunshine stats, more heat, more energy on the body of water we sit in, more cloud. It will happen. We are not going to end up with a Mediterranean climate weather wise, that is certain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
27 minutes ago, markyo said:

We are not going to end up with a Mediterranean climate weather wise, that is certain

Something I agree on. A bit of a hot take but it's more likely we will move closer to humid subtropical instead, Bordeaux is pretty much there now, so just a few more degrees to go for central / southern England. No way we are losing the rain any time soon. June 2023 was a good example of a humid subtropical style month, warm but not that dry with quite a few thunderstorms about, stopping it from being a dry month for central and northwestern areas. 2023 was overall a warm year but very wet too.

Edited by Metwatch