Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Met Office Forecast In The Telegraph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
I must admit as one of the most ardent snow and cold winter fans you can get, it is very difficult on an ultra balmy day like today to imagine that from a month or two's time we could be in the grip of a colder winter than we have been used to.

I very much that happens and still expect something better than we have been used to - but this endless autumn warmth does test the optimism somewhat!!

:(

SP

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SP

Synoptics...its all increasing the chances...remember 85

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.
Well they've probably exhausted the 'House Price collapse imminent' headlines for 2 or 3 years, so now it's the weather's turn for rubbish from the Express ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget their Princess Diana campaign.

Seriously. its about time the Express, and other tabloids for that matter, grew up and put something worthwhile reading in their papers. The Express is a dire read, although their TV critic is good and the paper itself is quite absorbant :( .

Posted
Don't forget their Princess Diana campaign.

Seriously. its about time the Express, and other tabloids for that matter, grew up and put something worthwhile reading in their papers. The Express is a dire read, although their TV critic is good and the paper itself is quite absorbant :( .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, yes, Diana! You're right!

I love the Private Eye tabloids section - always hits the nail on the head!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.
Ah, yes, Diana! You're right!

I love the Private Eye tabloids section - always hits the nail on the head!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They do always! Private Eye makes more sense than most of the tabloids, I like it.

Posted

Well you cant really read the smaller print, but this link From Sky News does.

To me, its just the Express going on about Prince Charles joining their campaign against Global Warming. I dont actually read it as anything else.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

28 October 2005

The prospect of a cold winter is currently the subject of significant speculation amid reports that forecasters expect the coldest winter since 1963.

The Met Office’s winter forecast does not make these extreme claims but does suggest that the coming winter will be colder and drier than normal. However it is too early to be specific about the timing and severity of any individual cold spells.

Most of the winters in the last ten years have been relatively mild. This perhaps gives the impression that this type of winter is now 'normal' meaning a colder winter would be more noticeable.

The Met Office winter forecast is based on techniques which, for the broad weather patterns across Europe, are correct about two times in three.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow - or HOT

Hi all, has everyone seent he update on the met office site regarding the cold winter. They seem to be playing down all the media hype !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Seems a bit 'Damned if they do, Damned if they dont' really :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow - or HOT
Seems a bit 'Damned if they do, Damned if they dont' really  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

absolutely, but they are only repeating what they have been consistently saying about this winter, its the media that have been saying we are going to have a big freeze, not the met office !

Posted

It's a shame really that all it does is cover the backsides of the Met Office, rather than serve it's intended purpose of informing the public that they've been misquoted, and the media have chosen to exaggerate rediculously.

Can you imagine a news or newspaper report with a full page spread that says "Extreme winter an april fools joke - long before april is due. (we lied to sell and or get you to watch)".

It's just not going to happen is it? The public will continuehypeing it and the MetO message I fear will be largely ignored.

Edited by crimsone

So its gonna be a colder then average winter for some. Particually in the south. So does this mean its going to be about 5c instead of 9/10?

</sarcasm> :(

Posted
i never seen it

i hope we get a bad winter this year

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Day after tomorrow- great film, but I really don't expect we will get anywhere near that!

After careful thought, and yet more media hype, I have decided to keep a decent stock of food in and be sensible, ie not go out if its really bad if I don't have too. These papers etc are frightning the wits out of old people.......which I think is irrisponsible journalism :(

Posted
I must admit as one of the most ardent snow and cold winter fans you can get, it is very difficult on an ultra balmy day like today to imagine that from a month or two's time we could be in the grip of a colder winter than we have been used to.

Just remember 4th November 1946 - when North Wales recorded 21.7c :(

Posted
Just remember 4th November 1946 - when North Wales recorded 21.7c  :p

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's the November UK record right?

The problem this time in comparison with that is that we are coming out of a record run of above average months, and a likely Sept-Oct record warmth. Everything is so much warmer (though not Greenland it seems).

Posted
  • Location: lootons, bedfordshires, somewheres in SE Englands & E Anglia
  • Location: lootons, bedfordshires, somewheres in SE Englands & E Anglia

BAD BAD COLD COLD HARD HARD SNOWY SNOWY WINTER IS ON WAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, also 2005 is going to be the fourth year in a row to have an annual mean of 10.**. We have also had a warm&dry start to September which, barring two ocassions has always lead to a mild winter, we have also had a October very similar to 1989 which lead to a very mild winter, finally the last time we had a n average to below average month was October last year. But I nevr mind, I'm sure theirs signs that support a below average winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I may have criticised the MetO the last time, but I can't fault what they did there: it was IMO the best they could do under the circumstances.

Pity that the tabloids are bound to take no notice...

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well if the Winters Mild and the Press cruicfy the Meto perhaps we should all email the editors of these wraggs and fill the mail boxes pointing out what was orginally posted by the MetO.

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

Helicopters have always been used to check the visual condition of cross-country power lines as well as infra-red inspection. Each line is checked at least every year, although, it's likely you've missed them previously.

Posted
Yes.

Can't be bothered to read all that!

Edited by Nabraxas

Posted

They're at it again this morning with the headline BLACKOUT. I love this paper, they don't mention which power companies are saying there will be cuts or why there will be power cuts.